Modder Plutoo releases nx-btred, a homebrew Bluetooth audio driver for the Nintendo Switch

switch bluetooth.PNG

Despite the Nintendo Switch's appeal as a modern handheld-home console hybrid to seamlessly game on-the-go and on a big screen, it lacks a crucial element of most modern devices: Blutooth audio support. Thankfully, third-party accessories like the GuliKit Route+ Pro and the EPOS GTW 270 Hybrid exist as workarounds to do what Nintendon't. But these require additional purchases and adds a dongle to the console which isn't ideal for storage.

Another workaround was just released which could prove more enticing as it comes at no cost and is fully software-based: nx-btred. Released a couple of hours ago by Switch modding scene member Plutoo, nx-btred is a Bluetooth audio driver/redirector for the Nintendo Switch. Plutoo explains that their solution works through the audrec:u service so as to record the game audio and subsequently outputs it on the new audio Bluetooth driver introduced in firmware version 12.0.0.

As such, this mod requires a Nintendo Switch on firmware 12.0.0+, as well as the latest Atmosphere and MissionControl to be installed, in order to function. Of note, only games audio can be recorded and not the system applets due to a limitation of the audrec:u service.

Of course, you should proceed with this mod at your own risk and not every headphone brands have been tested, so you might encounter some issues. But nx-btred does show promise as a recent release that brings a much-needed feature to the Switch. It's safe to say that it's worth keeping an eye on any issues users come across will be addresses in future releases (Plutoo fixed one a couple of hours after an issue with headphones outputting noise was reported).

Head to the Github repository below to find a link to the files required to download nx-btred and a set up guide.

:download: nx-btred Github repository

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
"modern" lmfao what is modern about it, its a fucking nvidia gaming tablet clone with nothing modern, shit wifi card/speed, shit internal storage, shit hardware, shit joycons, no widi, shit box to play on tv, and overall same ole recycled shit games ported.

nintendo should just stop trying to make cheap/shit consoles, we do not need to buy another £300+ inferior old tech crap console to play the same ole shit games we already own or could buy on your last console, or could buy that console for even less.

here is a simple feature brought to you no thanks to exploits/cfw which nintendo focus more on shutting down than they do giving us fucking gamers something new and worthy of buying/playing.

you seem to forget that this is the biggest selling console for almost 2 years now?

Lunar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fairly impressive, though it makes you wonder if Nintendo is going to implement it themselves, after all, this module became possible with the additional services added on Firmware 12. Nevertheless, it is a great addition to the scene, and hopefully it will be improved upon. Just a word of caution, a friend of mine tried it earlier and he got his eardrums blasted by a high pitched noise, heed the warning on the git page if you want to try it.
They'll probably end up implementing it with the revision coming up. Even Apple will push updates to their phones to make sure that the new ones when they release them work smoothly. It's cool that this guy managed to hack together a program to get Bluetooth audio working but from what I've seen it's far from being comfortable for everyday use.

Don't get me wrong I still think some of what Nintendo does is shitty and behind the times but it's not enough for me to have a mental breakdown over like someone in this thread. They almost certainly left out features like an internet browser out because of softmodding but most of the time we don't use them anyway. The build of the switch isn't bad either and looks very clean. On top of that they make phenomenal games and their ports always include new content. So before you decide to spaz out on the internet just make sure to do it in a way that doesn't make you look like a complete douchebag.

Cdiddy1122

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Despite the Nintendo Switch's appeal as a modern handheld-home console hybrid to seamlessly game on-the-go and on a big screen, it lacks a crucial element of most modern devices: Blutooth audio support. Thankfully, third-party accessories like the GuliKit Route+ Pro and the EPOS GTW 270 Hybrid exist as workarounds to do what Nintendon't. But these require additional purchases and adds a dongle to the console which isn't ideal for storage.

Another workaround was just released which could prove more enticing as it comes at no cost and is fully software-based: nx-btred. Released a couple of hours ago by Switch modding scene member Plutoo, nx-btred is a Bluetooth audio driver/redirector for the Nintendo Switch. Plutoo explains that their solution works through the audrec:u service so as to record the game audio and subsequently outputs it on the new audio Bluetooth driver introduced in firmware version 12.0.0.

As such, this mod requires a Nintendo Switch on firmware 12.0.0+, as well as the latest Atmosphere and MissionControl to be installed, in order to function. Of note, only games audio can be recorded and not the system applets due to a limitation of the audrec:u service.

Of course, you should proceed with this mod at your own risk and not every headphone brands have been tested, so you might encounter some issues. But nx-btred does show promise as a recent release that brings a much-needed feature to the Switch. It's safe to say that it's worth keeping an eye on any issues users come across will be addresses in future releases (Plutoo fixed one a couple of hours after an issue with headphones outputting noise was reported).

Head to the Github repository below to find a link to the files required to download nx-btred and a set up guide.

:download: nx-btred Github repository
I’m so glad that sega made the Nintendont campaign, as anytime someone does something better than Nintendo we can just say nintendont

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No it doesn't, your sd card is not internal storage.

Stock units all come with a shitty 32gb internal storage.

Which is pathetic considering game carts are also limited or expensive to hold the entire game, this storage cost passed onto the dev to pay for larger game cart, yet again making same mistake back on the n64, but nintendo dont care, as long as theyre making the money.

And they pass the cost to the consumer having to buy an sd card in order to download the game data as it cant fit on the expensive game carts.
No , in replaced my 32 gb emmc Chip with a 256 gb emmc chip :D

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Tried this the other day but unfortunately the audio just came out wrong. It's recognizable but sounds like it's constantly clipping.

D

Deleted User

Hrmm I added this an another homebrew app the other day to firmware 11.0.1 atmosphere 17.0.1 and I couldn't boot any longer. I removed each of the two apps the other one didn't fix the issue but removing this fixed the issue. So apparently it made my Switch not boot.

A fluke hopefully.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh this ONLY works on 12.0? Well that explains it. Damn.

Last edited by ,

snk4ever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This worked for me in Project Diva but: too much latency to be usable, highest volume is still too low.
On Tony Hawk I get no sound at all.

Reactions: smallissue

Ankris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It means now I can play without having all cables messed up? Cool. I will try with my creative outlier air and report if it works

FutileSS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems to have lost support on latest atmosphere releases. At least for me, paired with known functional headphones and mission control very latest. Hmm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse