Modder Plutoo releases nx-btred, a homebrew Bluetooth audio driver for the Nintendo Switch

switch bluetooth.PNG

Despite the Nintendo Switch's appeal as a modern handheld-home console hybrid to seamlessly game on-the-go and on a big screen, it lacks a crucial element of most modern devices: Blutooth audio support. Thankfully, third-party accessories like the GuliKit Route+ Pro and the EPOS GTW 270 Hybrid exist as workarounds to do what Nintendon't. But these require additional purchases and adds a dongle to the console which isn't ideal for storage.

Another workaround was just released which could prove more enticing as it comes at no cost and is fully software-based: nx-btred. Released a couple of hours ago by Switch modding scene member Plutoo, nx-btred is a Bluetooth audio driver/redirector for the Nintendo Switch. Plutoo explains that their solution works through the audrec:u service so as to record the game audio and subsequently outputs it on the new audio Bluetooth driver introduced in firmware version 12.0.0.

As such, this mod requires a Nintendo Switch on firmware 12.0.0+, as well as the latest Atmosphere and MissionControl to be installed, in order to function. Of note, only games audio can be recorded and not the system applets due to a limitation of the audrec:u service.

Of course, you should proceed with this mod at your own risk and not every headphone brands have been tested, so you might encounter some issues. But nx-btred does show promise as a recent release that brings a much-needed feature to the Switch. It's safe to say that it's worth keeping an eye on any issues users come across will be addresses in future releases (Plutoo fixed one a couple of hours after an issue with headphones outputting noise was reported).

Head to the Github repository below to find a link to the files required to download nx-btred and a set up guide.

:download: nx-btred Github repository

ZoNtendo

Trophies
XP
Country
"modern" lmfao what is modern about it, its a fucking nvidia gaming tablet clone with nothing modern, shit wifi card/speed, shit internal storage, shit hardware, shit joycons, no widi, shit box to play on tv, and overall same ole recycled shit games ported.

nintendo should just stop trying to make cheap/shit consoles, we do not need to buy another £300+ inferior old tech crap console to play the same ole shit games we already own or could buy on your last console, or could buy that console for even less.

here is a simple feature brought to you no thanks to exploits/cfw which nintendo focus more on shutting down than they do giving us fucking gamers something new and worthy of buying/playing.
peoples don't buy a Nintendo console for the power as it wasn't designed for that, which is why I have a 3090 for PC games and a Switch for everything from Nintendo

And in fact they've hinted that they plan to move away from the withered tech strategy - which will be interesting if that's true

Reactions: rad140 and banjo2
D

Deleted User

This is a little confusing for me since I have not cracked my Nintendo Switch.
I do, however know of services here in South East Asia that offer to install Atmosphere but they charge higher than the cost of a GuliKit Route+ Pro.

My limited understanding from the official Tutorial website is that cracking the Switch requires some form of hardware hack and has the potential to fry, unlike cracking the 3DS which is fully software-based.

As such, I am more likely to recommend a GuliKit Route+ Pro to the average Switch Gamer.
At the same time, I will also keep an eye on this development, especially if fully-software-based cracking is in the cards.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My limited understanding from the official Tutorial website is that cracking the Switch requires some form of hardware hack and has the potential to fry, unlike cracking the 3DS which is fully software-based.

As far as the first 20 million or so Switch units go, the "hardware hack" is a freaking paper clip. Its on the same level as hacking a 3DS with a magnet and DS flashcart. Probably not worth it just for bluetooth but its not that different from a 3DS hack.

D

Deleted User

Probably not worth it just for bluetooth but its not that different from a 3DS hack.

The 3DS Hack was fully software in 2017 when I followed the Tutorial for my New 3DS XL, so not sure what the magnet is for.

Size has little consequence when the risk is frying the unit, more so a Switch that costs a decent amount of cash for families in the Pandemic Job Market era.

It's not something I'd recommend to anyone to do themselves, but I'm repeating myself.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Man it's been a while since I last heard/read something about/from Plutoo. The more exciting is what he dropped here. Finally we have a software-only solution for this on a console that had Bluetooth ever since and even supported BT audio in the earliest Linux and Android builds.
Very cool.

Reactions: rad140 and mathew77

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"modern" lmfao what is modern about it, its a fucking nvidia gaming tablet clone with nothing modern, shit wifi card/speed, shit internal storage, shit hardware, shit joycons, no widi, shit box to play on tv, and overall same ole recycled shit games ported.

nintendo should just stop trying to make cheap/shit consoles, we do not need to buy another £300+ inferior old tech crap console to play the same ole shit games we already own or could buy on your last console, or could buy that console for even less.

here is a simple feature brought to you no thanks to exploits/cfw which nintendo focus more on shutting down than they do giving us fucking gamers something new and worthy of buying/playing.

You need a Snickers

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
I wonder if this would later work with both audio out and in (microphone)
That would be really neat
Also I can confirm it work with Airpods (the first one released) :)
About Latency that quite a bit for me (far less than a second or even 0.5s but still noticeable if you careful look for it, Edit : After some adjustments in my environment it is even less noticeable. )

It seem there is a little "scrat" to reduce the latency too ( there too that happened only one time, maybe it was my setup.)
But that actually huge progress I will follow such homebrew that what should be in base FW.
For game such as mario kart / diablo that definitly game changer for me to not have a weird setup of wires :D

Last edited by Baoulettes,

mangaTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

You sound mad. Take a breather man.:rofl2:

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't think they'd try that with this. Too niche. Then again I expect this to get a lot attention when bigger gaming sites get wind of it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think because of the version of Bluetooth that they used, they had to make a choice between consistent joycon connectivity (up to, what, 8 controllers or something) or headphones.

Obviously they chose the joycons.

That makes total sense. I didn't think about it that way. Yeah, probably the limitations and problem, we'll probably see it sooner or later once more people uses this homebrew. I hope it won't be the case. Hopefully, Nintendo will upgrade the bluetooth when they release the Switch Pro at least BlueTooth 5.2 or 5.1 and maybe even use WiFi 6. One can only hope.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You sound mad. Take a breather man.:rofl2:
im not mad, just pointing out nothing modern off a tablet clone thats inferior, its hackers these days that actually do better than nintendo themselves.

just putting it as it is, shame the fans get upset when its put how it is.

smallissue

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
teddit.net
XP
Country
Antarctica
im not mad, just pointing out nothing modern off a tablet clone thats inferior, its hackers these days that actually do better than nintendo themselves.

just putting it as it is, shame the fans get upset when its put how it is.
why would we quote you if you don't even pay attention to what you said
people will stop railing you if you just give actual reasons instead of saying "its shit, its shit, its shitB-)"
:rofl2:

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

Okay, you've convinced me. I'm going to get a gaming phone and play all of my games there. Way better touchscreen, 5G, better UI, and better, cheaper games.

Reactions: smallissue

Runehasa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit

Got it to work after reinstalled. Trying to use with my Galaxy Buds Plus but unfortunately after pairing it does not produce any sound in any game. Hoping this gets improved as it is a much sought after function. Thank you Plutoo

To make matters worse seems to crash my switch whenever it goes to sleep. Will be uninstalling for now

Last edited by Runehasa,
Reactions: rad140

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

you'd still bitch if it had a 3090 in it lol

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep totally agree Nintendo have no idea what they are doing. Nobody is buying their shit out of date console and their games really aren't selling.

They are so shit that they have only sold a miserable 80 million switches. And their biggest selling port
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has only sold a minuscule 33.41 million copies.

Nintendo really are doing a terrible job :rofl2:
You had me in the first half not gonna lie.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: