Modder adds wireless charging to the Nintendo Switch Lite

switch lite.JPG

In case you missed it back in October, YouTuber and hardware modder Robotanv modded the Switch Lite to include Qi wireless charging. With a Qi wireless charging receiver and some soldering, Robotanv could fairly easily upgrade the handheld with this feature. You can watch the 4-minute video below where he also explains the upgrade process should you want to try the hack yourself:

:arrow: SOURCE

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It took someone this long? Would've thought that would be a dead simple mod that would've been done by someone within weeks.
This mod could be way better with magsafe style charger.
The magsafe charger is dumb. If you take the wireless out of a wireless charger, you're just left with a regular charger.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wireless charging...ew. Just, ew.
Nowhere near as efficient as wired charging, due to the power having to be transmitted through the charger's casing, the air, and the device's casing, instead of being directed straight to the battery. This means it takes more power and time to recharge compared to wired...and more power - more energy - means more heat.

I absolutely hate wireless charging; it's an overhyped and largely unnecessary feature.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Um... so what stop people from making a sticky pad like that but plug in usb-c port instead of soldering? Doesn't that turn everything into wireless charge?

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Idk why this is getting frontpaged, or why anyone would do this aswell.
With about 10W that is being delivered here, and the efficency through the case being probably not the best, imo kinda useless mod. Also the Switch won't lie completely flat I imagine so I think it's questionable.

LeeNose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This is just not impressive. Looks like a lot with those videos about usb micro to usb C conversions on X device
Of course it isn't, it's a supersimple solder job with a prefab component. It's still cool to see people do these things, the more people that get exposed to simple electronics the better, there's still a quite common presumption that projects like these are difficult.

LeeNose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Um... so what stop people from making a sticky pad like that but plug in usb-c port instead of soldering? Doesn't that turn everything into wireless charge?
Nothing, that's another way of doing it, what's the point of your comment?

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
I did this about two weeks ago, and it eventually caused issues with charging if the console was fully dead, as in the example picture below.
CDC0E

It wouldn't accept charging from a USB cable at all in this state; I was forced to charge it wirelessly to get it to boot to the HOME Menu. I checked and no pins were bridged.

Ask the YouTuber if he has same issue.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Ask the YouTuber if he has same issue.
I already removed the wireless charging module for peace of mind. I don't care enough to use it often, let alone fix it.
Sorry, I'm not very fond of those "life hack" video where you can archive something in the most convoluted way possible.
I severely am missing the point of your issue; I don't see why streamlining useful functionality is a bad thing now. Is this is a life hack video all of a sudden?

And I dunno, I don't know if I consider having to carry a dongle with me everywhere "less convoluted" than just attaching it inside the console...

LeeNose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Sorry, I'm not very fond of those "life hack" video where you can archive something in the most convoluted way possible.
Archive what?

Soldering might be more convoluted if you're not familiar with the practice, but it'll look much better than some Qi-receiving dongle hanging off of and possibly breaking the USB-C port lmao. As Halvorsen mentioned, having to carry that dongle being less convoluted? What the hell is wrong with some of you GBAtempers.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
....and that doesn't happen anyway?
Not if you keep it face down. But admittedly, the design of the switch lite is less ideal for this than literally any other handheld, due to the analog sticks. Hell if the analog sticks were at least on the same row, then they would act as a stand. As it is, the system will wobble while face down unless you rest it on something. Incidentally, a wireless charger might actually be good for this purpose even though it won't actually charge the console.
Wireless charging...ew. Just, ew.
Nowhere near as efficient as wired charging, due to the power having to be transmitted through the charger's casing, the air, and the device's casing, instead of being directed straight to the battery. This means it takes more power and time to recharge compared to wired...and more power - more energy - means more heat.

I absolutely hate wireless charging; it's an overhyped and largely unnecessary feature.
This. My experience with wireless charging across two different phones is that it isn't worth the hassle. I can't tell you how many times I pick up the phone and found that it hasn't been charging, or is unnecessarily hot, or both. Or when the phone goes to 0% and refuses to charge unless I take the cable out of the Qi pad and into the phone directly, which defeats the point. (The ease of doing this is perhaps the only good defense of wireless charging. You're never forced to commit to one method or the other, provided that the charger and the phone use the same type of..... oh crap, imagine using a micro USB charging stand with a type-C phone. LOL. Saaaaaaad.) I'm using one of those two phones I've mentioned to write this message as we speak, so there was nothing wrong with the phone itself. And it was years ago so I'd say it's a damn good quality phone.

One last thing. The wireless charging stand collects dust too. Yet another con of using that method, although one I don't really see pointed out. (And since they're usually a rubber surface, you can't simply wipe the dust off.) I literally placed a piece of paper over my charger to protect it from dust. Although if you were like me you could rip out a piece of manga and use that,very stylish. The cool factor of doing this could have at least serve as a fringe benefit of wireless charging IF IT ACTUALLY CHARGED THE DAMN PHONE.

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Bongerno