Gaming Modded Wii wont read original Gamecube disc

Ekeloperz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Basically I have neogamma and usb loader GX on my Wii with a few wad games. Yesterday while I was in town some game store sold me a copy of Wrestlemania X8 for 5€ so I naturally bought it and today inserted the disc into my Wii when I am in the main menu I can hear the disc being read but once I start the game through the Disc Channel it just stops reading the game because I can hear it and the screen just goes black and stays like that. I made sure the disc is clean and not scratched up so if you guys have any ideas on what to do they would be very welcome. I had an issue with my 3DS before and got my answer here.

Ekeloperz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
try loading the game thru gecko or nintendont

I dont have either of those programs installed can you just explain to me if that loads it in a diffrent way? Because I havent checked the nintendo modding scene in a while.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

try loading the game thru gecko or nintendont

Follow up just tried loading it using Nintendont does the same thing just freezes. And the disc stops spinning immediatly.

Ekeloperz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
You probably have a custom MIOS installed. Use NUSDownloader or Modmii to grab the original file, and install that with a WAD manager.

Will that break usbloader gx and neogamma?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You probably have a custom MIOS installed. Use NUSDownloader or Modmii to grab the original file, and install that with a WAD manager.

I have installed the latest clean Mios and the game now Works just fine thanks alot.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Basically I have neogamma and usb loader GX on my Wii with a few wad games. Yesterday while I was in town some game store sold me a copy of Wrestlemania X8 for 5€ so I naturally bought it and today inserted the disc into my Wii when I am in the main menu I can hear the disc being read but once I start the game through the Disc Channel it just stops reading the game because I can hear it and the screen just goes black and stays like that. I made sure the disc is clean and not scratched up so if you guys have any ideas on what to do they would be very welcome. I had an issue with my 3DS before and got my answer here.

Hello.:)

Did you try an other Gamecube Original Games ? Are they working BEFORE ?
I suppose it is a Wii with Gamcube Support/Gamecube Controller connectors.

Thank you.:)

EDIt: Oh I see you solved it,great job.:yay:

Last edited by Alexander1970,

Ekeloperz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia

Did you try an other Gamecube Original Games ? Are they working BEFORE ?
I suppose it is a Wii with Gamcube Support/Gamecube Controller connectors.

EDIt: Oh I see you solved it,great job.:yay:

Yeah unforunately this is the only gamecube game I currently own and I have tried Wii games they worked fine before and now. The problem was I has a custom WiiGator Mios installed and it didnt allow the drive to load games. But now I have installed a factory Mios and it Works excellent.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yeah unforunately this is the only gamecube game I currently own and I have tried Wii games they worked fine before and now. The problem was I has a custom WiiGator Mios installed and it didnt allow the drive to load games. But now I have installed a factory Mios and it Works excellent.
Thats is great hear.:)
The MIOS is main "responsible" for the Gamecube compatibility.
It contains a copy of the IPL (modified for the Wii).
It patches some games when they load, presumably to enhance compatibility with problematic titles.

Good work and now you can enjoy your Wii with Gamecube ability again.:yaywii:
Have fun.

Reactions: Ekeloperz

Ekeloperz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Thats is great hear.:)
The MIOS is main "responsible" for the Gamecube compatibility.
It contains a copy of the IPL (modified for the Wii).
It patches some games when they load, presumably to enhance compatibility with problematic titles.

Good work and now you can enjoy your Wii with Gamecube ability again.:yaywii:
Have fun.

Yeah I just keep liking this forum more and more, I always find the answer I am looking for.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Fun fact: The Wii is way more picky about damaged Gamecube disks than the Gamecube.

If you have a Gamecube or someone who does, try the disk on it. If it works, is because the disk is too damaged for the Wii.

Tosnic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had the same issue: some of my PAL Gamecube games did not work on my Wii (region changed from PAL to NTSC). What is weird about my case: they stopped working for seemingly random reasons. E.g., I got an NTSC copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee (SSBM), because my PAL version did was not working. The NTSC copy did work. Yesterday I installed my PAL copy of SSBM and it worked, but only from HDD. That had been the same with Zelda - the Windwaker (PAL). Then I downloaded the cover art with the built-in function of USB-Loader GX. Then SSBM (PAL) stopped working. Even more obscure: the NTSC version had ceased to work, too. I deleted SSBM (PAL) and re-ripped it the same way as before. Now it works again, even with the cover art re-installed.
I did nothing to my CIOSs of any other shenanigans yesterday nor today.

I had a similar experience with Mariokart Double Dash. But in contrast to SSBM, which refused to launch at all (black screen after Nintendont), Mariokart showed the rotating Nintendo logo with Mario's voice before freezing. Here, I simply re-ripped the game. It is working ever since. I can even apply progressive patch and force widescreen without problems.

The most likely reason I can think of is that I had copied the Gamecube games from an older HDD to my current Wii HDD, which is the same size, but only 2,5". Even so, the image files should not be fragmented by copying all files in one big bulk. Plus, I never had the option in USB-Loader GX enabled to align installed GC games to 32k HDD sectors. And I always had "compress image" on.
Another hint is that I modded my friend's Wii and the same games did not work on his console, either. I had followed the recommended procedure for modding any Wii, without doing the same CIOS shenanigans that I had done to my own Wiis years ago, like updating d2x to v10 (final) and waninkoko's CIOS 38 rev 17 in slot 249.

Last edited by Tosnic,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I had the same issue: some of my PAL Gamecube games did not work on my Wii (region changed from PAL to NTSC). What is weird about my case: they stopped working for seemingly random reasons. E.g., I got an NTSC copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee (SSBM), because my PAL version did was not working. The NTSC copy did work. Yesterday I installed my PAL copy of SSBM and it worked, but only from HDD. That had been the same with Zelda - the Windwaker (PAL). Then I downloaded the cover art with the built-in function of USB-Loader GX. Then SSBM (PAL) stopped working. Even more obscure: the NTSC version had ceased to work, too. I deleted SSBM (PAL) and re-ripped it the same way as before. Now it works again, even with the cover art re-installed.
I did nothing to my CIOSs of any other shenanigans yesterday nor today.

I had a similar experience with Mariokart Double Dash. But in contrast to SSBM, which refused to launch at all (black screen after Nintendont), Mariokart showed the rotating Nintendo logo with Mario's voice before freezing. Here, I simply re-ripped the game. It is working ever since. I can even apply progressive patch and force widescreen without problems.

The most likely reason I can think of is that I had copied the Gamecube games from an older HDD to my current Wii HDD, which is the same size, but only 2,5". Even so, the image files should not be fragmented by copying all files in one big bulk. Plus, I never had the option in USB-Loader GX enabled to align installed GC games to 32k HDD sectors. And I always had "compress image" on.
Another hint is that I modded my friend's Wii and the same games did not work on his console, either. I had followed the recommended procedure for modding any Wii, without doing the same CIOS shenanigans that I had done to my own Wiis years ago, like updating d2x to v10 (final) and waninkoko's CIOS 38 rev 17 in slot 249.

That is a lot of Issues you have.:(

Did you try to run a Gamecube Game from the SD Card ? Only to get sure the issues comes not from the Gamecube Games.
Please check of the latest Version of Nintendont and your IOS 58.You can check it on the Homebrew Channel.:)
Did you have formatted your HDD with FAT32 ?
The USBLoader GX Settings for GC Install Compressed and GC Install 32K Aligned can/should be off.

A Recommendation please use the Tool CLEANRIP for a clean and good Dump.

Your games are correctly Installed ?
To remember please:

SD or USB:/games/Name [Gxxxxxx]/game.iso
SD or USB:/games/Name [Gxxxxxx]/disc2.iso

Please check this and maybe it helps.

Tosnic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you for your help.

Did you try to run a Gamecube Game from the SD Card ? Only to get sure the issues comes not from the Gamecube Games.
I might try running the games from SD later, but since SD cards >2GB bear more severe compatibility issues, that is not a long term solution for me.

Please check of the latest Version of Nintendont and your IOS 58.You can check it on the Homebrew Channel.:)
I updated Nintendont in April, when I had this issue for over one year. No improvement.

Did you have formatted your HDD with FAT32 ?
Of course =)

The USBLoader GX Settings for GC Install Compressed and GC Install 32K Aligned can/should be off.
A Recommendation:Please use the Tool CLEANRIP for a clean and good Dump.
I know. I am just a lazy fuck. Plus, the games had worked before. Hence I figured this should not the the culprit. Plus, I had ripped Mariokart with cleanrip before.

Your games are correctly Installed ?
To remember please:

SD or USB:/games/Name [Gxxxxxx]/disc2.iso
yes. I got this right.

Another thing I forgot to mention: Apparently, none of my original copies of PAL Gamecube games seem to work with the original Disc loader in the Wii System Menu. This does not really bother me since I boot directly into USB-Loader GX, hence I never even see the Wii System Menu. But it might point towards the root of the problem.
Remember that I wrote that SSBM (PAL) stopped working after downloading its cover art? At the same time, the original disc stopped working, too. I only tried launching it from USB-Loader GX with Nintendont.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you for your help.
Remember that I wrote that SSBM (PAL) stopped working after downloading its cover art? At the same time, the original disc stopped working, too. I only tried launching it from USB-Loader GX with Nintendont.

Thank you for your Reply.:)
Then please check the option start the Game(s) from the SD Card.
From experiences SD Cards up to 16 GB and formatted with FAT32 should work. :)

What you also can try:
Reset the USBLoader GX settings.
Please delete the GXGlobal.cfg manually from the USBLoader GX folder or choose the Reset Option in the Global Settings.

Which we still do not know please:

- Your USBLoader GX Version (and how you updated it)
- Your Nintendont Version

Thank you for your Help.:)

Tosnic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you for your Reply.:)
Then please check the option start the Game(s) from the SD Card.
From experiences SD Cards up to 16 GB and formatted with FAT32 should work. :)
I have a handful of games (e.g. Moto Heroz) which only work using waninkoko's CIOS 38 rev 17 in slot 249. Those games will refuse to run from an SD card >2GB. Also, this goes for some Homebrew games.

What you also can try:
Reset the USBLoader GX settings.
Please delete the GXGlobal.cfg manually from the USBLoader GX folder or choose the Reset Option in the Global Settings.
I actually tried this before to no avail. Plus, my friend's Wii had a freshly installed USB-Loader GX with all the default settings. This had the same issue playing those GC games.

Which we still do not know please:

- Your USBLoader GX Version (and how you updated it)
- Your Nintendont Version

Thank you for your Help.:)
USB-Loader GX: rev1268
I downloaded it either from here (probably linked by Cyan) or from Sourceforge. When I hit the built-in update option, it reports "no updates available", although there is rev1272 on Sourceforge.
Nintendont: v5.486

I tried my original PAL copy of F-Zero GX yesterday and was buffled as it loaded with Nintendont. Apparently they fixed it. F-Zero GX was one of the very few games that were not compatible AFAIR. Opposed to all other original PAL games I tried F-Zero GX actually launches from the original System Menu Disc channel.

I wanted to get this out of the way: All my original PAL games are in superb condition. No Scratches.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I have a handful of games (e.g. Moto Heroz) which only work using waninkoko's CIOS 38 rev 17 in slot 249. Those games will refuse to run from an SD card >2GB. Also, this goes for some Homebrew games.

I actually tried this before to no avail. Plus, my friend's Wii had a freshly installed USB-Loader GX with all the default settings. This had the same issue playing those GC games.

USB-Loader GX: rev1268
I downloaded it either from here (probably linked by Cyan) or from Sourceforge. When I hit the built-in update option, it reports "no updates available", although there is rev1272 on Sourceforge.
Nintendont: v5.486

I tried my original PAL copy of F-Zero GX yesterday and was buffled as it loaded with Nintendont. Apparently they fixed it. F-Zero GX was one of the very few games that were not compatible AFAIR. Opposed to all other original PAL games I tried F-Zero GX actually launches from the original System Menu Disc channel.

I wanted to get this out of the way: All my original PAL games are in superb condition. No Scratches.

Have you tried the USBLoader GX v3.0 1272 ?
Yes correct,the Update is not working,you should do it manually please.:)

Maybe it depends on the Brand of the SD Card.Unfortunately I can not retrace the Issues you have.

May I ask please again,only to get sure:

You only use original Game Discs and make ISOs of it ?
Did you maybe "compress" them ? I think you surely know,it is recommended to use only clean uncompressed ISO´s.

From NINTENDONT Manual:
:blank:Supported game Format

There are two main formats : Game backup and Disc.

Game backup format
Nintendont can launch:
- Full clean ISO
- Compressed ISO (scrubbed with unused data removed, not ciso)
- Extracted files and folders (FST format)

The recommended format is a CLEAN ISO dump. It has the best compatibility and faster reading speed.
Do not compress or extract your games, don't use DiscEx, don't use GCReEx, don't use DMToolbox.

And this confuses my a little :(

You mean WII games ? They can not run from SD Card with the USBLoader GX.
And also this IOS is not relevant for Gamecube Games.:)
I think we talking about running GAMECUBE Games from the SD Card to see if your ISOs are ok.

Tosnic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you for your time.
Just to make sure: ATM my only issue is that I do not know what caused some of my PAL games to not run. I could not reproduce the error.

Have you tried the USBLoader GX v3.0 1272 ?
Yes correct,the Update is not working,you should do it manually please.:)
I just updated. But ATM I can not note any difference.

Maybe it depends on the Brand of the SD Card.Unfortunately I can not retrace the Issues you have.
I read somewhere about incompatibility and I confirmed it myself with my friend's SDHC card (4GB I think).

May I ask please again,only to get sure:

You only use original Game Discs and make ISOs of it ?
Did you maybe "compress" them ? I think you surely know,it is recommended to use only clean uncompressed ISO´s.
I mostly use the built-in ripping feature of USB-Loader GX.
I think there is some misunderstanding of the term "compression" going on. There are CSOs, which are compressed images. On the other hand there are shrunken/scrubbed ISOs, which basically contain all the data that originally is on the disc, without the blank disc space that does not contain data (differs from game to game). Since USB-Loader GX saves the GC images as ISO files, I assume it uses the latter (=better) method.

I could re-rip my games with cleanRIP w/out compression in the future.

You mean WII games ? They can not run from SD Card with the USBLoader GX.
And also this IOS is not relevant for Gamecube Games.:)
I think we talking about running GAMECUBE Games from the SD Card to see if your ISOs are ok.
Yes. Those are WiiWare games that only run from SD card. They are a remainder of my Triiforce installation. That is why I have rev17 installed to CIOS 249 and why theses games work from SD card. My other WiiWare games ran perfectly from SD card before I moved them to the HDD. Those still work.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you for your time.
Just to make sure: ATM my only issue is that I do not know what caused some of my PAL games to not run. I could not reproduce the error.

I just updated. But ATM I can not note any difference.

I read somewhere about incompatibility and I confirmed it myself with my friend's SDHC card (4GB I think).

I mostly use the built-in ripping feature of USB-Loader GX.
I think there is some misunderstanding of the term "compression" going on. There are CSOs, which are compressed images. On the other hand there are shrunken/scrubbed ISOs, which basically contain all the data that originally is on the disc, without the blank disc space that does not contain data (differs from game to game). Since USB-Loader GX saves the GC images as ISO files, I assume it uses the latter (=better) method.

I could re-rip my games with cleanRIP w/out compression in the future.

Yes. Those are WiiWare games that only run from SD card. They are a remainder of my Triiforce installation. That is why I have rev17 installed to CIOS 249 and why theses games work from SD card. My other WiiWare games ran perfectly from SD card before I moved them to the HDD. Those still work.

Thank you for your clear explanations.:)

May the Method with Cleanrip on the Gamecube has its advantages.:D
Sure, she does not scratch the Game DVDs.:evil:

Please can you tell as which PAL Gamecube Games not working ? Then we can try and maybe help you to see the issues.:yay:
Thank you for your help and your Patience.:)

Tosnic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you for your clear explanations.:)

May the Method with Cleanrip on the Gamecube has its advantages.:D
Sure, she does not scratch the Game DVDs.:evil:

Please can you tell as which PAL Gamecube Games not working ? Then we can try and maybe help you to see the issues.:yay:
Thank you for your help and your Patience.:)

So I tested all of my original PAL GC game discs (not from HDD/SD) on my NTSC Wii.

Games tested and working with USB-Loader GX + Nintendont (all work):
  • Beach Spikers
  • Mario Party 4
  • Mariokart Double Dash
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Donkey Konga 1
  • F-Zero GX
  • Metroid Prime
  • Lost Kingdoms 2
  • Eternal Darkness
  • King Kong
  • Starfox Adventures
  • Zelda - Windwaker
  • Zelda - Ocarina of Time (bundled with Windwaker)
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Games tested with original Disc Channel in the System Menu (3 lists)

working OK:

• F-Zero GX
  • King Kong

These games did not launch (black screen, no sound, Wii still responds to its hardware buttons):

• Mariokart Double Dash
  • Donkey Konga 1
  • Metroid Prime
  • Starfox Adventures
  • Zelda - Windwaker

These games launched with black screen, but sound:

• Super Mario Sunshine
  • Eternal Darkness
  • Lost Kingdoms 2
  • Mario Party 4
  • Beach Spikers
I guess there being no image might be a result of my Wii being NTSC, the games being PAL and my usage of component cables. Note that the games with no picture but sound did also not display anything even after blindly enabling the 60Hz option.
Also noteworthy: I tried Mariokart and SSBM with USB-Loader GX's widescreen and progressive scan hacks, which results in these games not displaying anything until they turn on their 60Hz mode, either by me pressing A or after waiting for the timer to run out. If I manually select the 50Hz mode, the game stays black with sound.

Last edited by Tosnic,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
So I tested all of my original PAL GC game discs (not from HDD/SD) on my NTSC Wii.

Games tested and working with USB-Loader GX + Nintendont (all work):
  • Beach Spikers
  • Mario Party 4
  • Mariokart Double Dash
  • Donkey Konga 1
  • F-Zero GX
  • Metroid Prime
  • Lost Kingdoms 2
  • Eternal Darkness
  • King Kong
  • Starfox Adventures
  • Zelda - Windwaker
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Games tested with original Disc Channel in the System Menu (3 lists)

working OK:

• F-Zero GX
  • King Kong

These games did not launch (black screen, no sound, Wii still responds to its hardware buttons):

• Mariokart Double Dash
  • Donkey Konga 1
  • Metroid Prime
  • Starfox Adventures
  • Zelda - Windwaker

These games launched with black screen, but sound:

• Super Mario Sunshine
  • Eternal Darkness
  • Lost Kingdoms 2
  • Mario Party 4
  • Beach Spikers
I guess there being no image might be a result of my Wii being NTSC, the games being PAL and my usage of component cables. Note that the games with no picture but sound did also not display anything even after blindly enabling the 60Hz option.
Also noteworthy: I tried Mariokart and SSBM with USB-Loader GX's widescreen and progressive scan hacks, which results in these games not displaying anything until they turn on their 60Hz mode, either by me pressing A or after waiting for the timer to run out. If I manually select the 50Hz mode, the game stays black with sound.

Thank you for the great help,I really appreciate your support on this Issue.:)

Now I see a little clearer,thank you.:yay:

Did you set/enabled in the Priiloader --> System Menu Hacks :

- Region Free EVERTHING
- Region Free GC Games (No VM Patch)
- Region Free Wii Games

I hope this is it.:D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1