Hacking Modded Wii with no drive

OhYa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently acquired a wii with No top shell & No dvd drive, as in the dvd drive cable is just chillin there with nothing to plug into...
(Sorry, but you know I had to explain it like that or people would ask whats wrong with the drive...)

Anyways, So I used flaks & updated it to 4.1u & modded it
The mod went fine
I tried using both cfg & GX USB loaders and in both cases I get eject the game & shut down your wii errors on every game I have tried to load off the USB stick
I tried FAT32 as well as WBFS
I tried a small game; gravit
And larger games, Rock Band, Guitar hero (Both the first versions)

I tried updating the mod & still get the same errors
I tried a different USB stick and again, same errors

Does the Wii need the DVD drive in order to work even tho its not technically using it?

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately ATM, a wii needs to have a dvd drive to load wii disc games, wii channels, wiiware/vc. I would think that someone could fix that with an ios patch, but that has not been done so perhaps not. Replace the dvd drive and your issue should be resolved.

Reactions: OhYa

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
As long as the control board of the drive works it should be fine. The drive doesn't need to be able to read discs etc.

If that doesn't work a free option is to use sneek/uneek/neek2o/deluxe etc as they emulate the drive board/DI.

ayrek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as the control board of the drive works it should be fine. The drive doesn't need to be able to read discs etc.

If that doesn't work a free option is to use sneek/uneek/neek2o/deluxe etc as they emulate the drive board/DI.
I have a working Wii with no drive; it's not too difficult to remove the control board from the drive and put it back in, and there's a guide on the forums around here somewhere for doing it. Plus, the extra room in the case means you can, say, install an internal hard drive, which is awesome.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
ayrek, I looked quickly and found THIS, it should help. However imho you might want to emulate the DI to save needing the control board, because they are hard to get alone without paying for a whole drive iirc. (I never checked, they will be available somewhere). Having the control board is best, DI emu is cheapest.

ayrek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ayrek, I looked quickly and found THIS, it should help. However imho you might want to emulate the DI to save needing the control board, because they are hard to get alone without paying for a whole drive iirc. (I never checked, they will be available somewhere). Having the control board is best, DI emu is cheapest.

That's actually the exact guide that I used to mod mine :)
Since my Wii drive died, I didn't see any reason to keep the drive, and I remembered seeing that thread from a long time ago and had thought "Wow, I'd love to do that, if I didn't have to lose my disc drive!"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.