modded wii lifespan shortened?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by rigz2007, Jul 14, 2007.

Jul 14, 2007
  1. rigz2007
    OP

Newcomer rigz2007 Member

United Kingdom
    does anyone know if modding a wii can shorten the life span of it??

2. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    I've read this post. You're welcome.

3. rigz2007
    OP

Newcomer rigz2007 Member

United Kingdom
    lol

4. niklasnyfiken

Member niklasnyfiken GBAtemp Regular

Switzerland
    I would have to say "not very likely" if installed properly. The mod chips just modify some instructions in the DVD firmware to allow backups to be played. That is all.

5. Bruinbaard

Member Bruinbaard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    well when i play back-ups most of them make a terrible noise so... i think it is pretty bad for ma laser

6. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    Aw. You've changed the title of the post and now I just look like an asshole. [​IMG]

To answer your question, I don't believe it does by any noticeable amount. I'd admit that my laser also seems to work a little harder on my backups, but I've never had a single laser fail on any of my previously modded systems, so I have little reason to believe that the Wii would be any different.

Only time will tell for sure, though.

7. dsbomb

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have scientific proof that it does indeed shorten the lifespan of the Wii. You see, the first Wii I got was on launch day. I stayed in line for well over 45 minutes to get it. That was some of the hardest work I've ever had to do. Anyway, it started breaking down after about 3 years with moderate play, maybe 2-3 sessions a week. I did not mod it, since I was only 6 at the time.

Then, I had saved up enough from my Mom's secret money stash, in the vinegar box in the bathroom (what's she do with vinegar in there anyhow?? [​IMG] ). For my birthday, she got me a new yo-yo with Dora the Explorer on it. I traded that to Rico down the street for his Wii. He said his Dad couldn't find where to plug the controller in, so it musta been broken.

Anyhow, I gave it all my stash cash over to Ahmed at the 7-11. He said he had a friend at his church that was good with those smoldering irons. I got this Wii back just in time for Christmas. Then, my sister, Jill, has her birthday in April. The folks give her her own Wii remote and nunchuk, with a Wario's Warez game. I tell her she best find her own Wii, 'cuz mine is private property. Of course, she runs and tells on me, so now I'm expected to let her use my hard-earned Wii. I say, "That's whack" and my Mom flips out. To make a long story short, she grounds me from my own property for a month! My sister is all up in my face about her game. She gets a jar of honey for her biscuits and heads to my room. I go outside to call on my bff Rod, so we can fry some ants with his grandpa's magnifying glass. Next thing I hear, my sister is crying like the baby she is. No one showed her how to work a Wii, so she ate the game disc and put the honey-soaked biscuit in the Wii. Now, letmetellyousomethin, I don't need to say what happened next, but I will anyways. Right at that moment, the modchip makes a noise that sounded a bit like, "Yummmmmpft." And that Wii was broken, totally.

I won't bore you with what happened to my next modded Wii, but it only lasted 6.3 months before the modchip went after the mailman, and got maced right on the Vcc line!! It was not a pretty sight. [​IMG]

8. Alastair

Member Alastair GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Haha. Very funny.

9. nloding

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Wow @ dsbomb.

If installed properly and carefully, it shouldn't lessen the life significantly. However, I'm sure it does shorten it from, say, an expected 45,000 hours of gaming to 43,000 hours of gaming.

If you can't do math, that's 24-hours a day, 365 days a year, for 5 years.

In other words, it doesn't matter if done right.

10. helba

Newcomer helba Advanced Member

Canada
    has the wii even been out for 3 years? lol.

11. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    iTech has some competition?

12. captain^k

Member captain^k GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    *duh*

of course!

13. Skyy

Newcomer Skyy Advanced Member

Aruba
    When you are using backups in Wii, that shortens the lifetime of the laser not the mod itself. Since the it has to do more work to get the data from the DVD than with a factory made DVD. That's why usually it makes more noise.

Same thing with PS2 and every CD/DVD using console. It f**ks up the laser in the long run. Some consoles can take more heat than others when it comes to the lasers, I got myself a new laser into my PSone twice. But like said few posts above, only time can tell how much beating Wii's laser can take.

Right from Dreamcast(didn't remember any earlier CD using console in a rush.. of course we could say SegaCD. Heh. ) to the latest Consoles around.

So yeah, it shortens it. If the mod is installed properly that's the only thing thats going to happen to your console. Shouldn't have any other "features" [​IMG]