PS1/2 Modded PAL PS1 playing NTSC games in black and white. HELP

ZeroInfinity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've looked everywhere for a solution for this. I know a scart cable can apparently fix it, but here's the problem... none of my TVs have scart sockets. Yeah, apparently scart sockets aren't a standard thing in Australian TVs or something...? (well according to my dad anyway)
I've tried it on 4 different TVs. 3 where in B&W, but my brother's TV played it in some wacky rainbow gradient thing. I messed around with different settings on all of them but nothing worked.

Would a Gameshark or bootdisk fix it? I know some Gamesharks can let you play imports, but I don't know if that would fix the colour problem.

The model number is SCPH-1002 and I have no idea what kind of modchip this thing has, since it was given to me from a friend of my dad's, like 10 years ago.

kutteke

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You could try and find a patch to patch it ntsc => pal and burn the patched copy. either that or find another ISO

CaptainSodaPop

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
If your TV has S-Video socket you can use that with S-Video cable.You can find it on eBay and it's not so expensive.It has better picture quality too btw.

ZeroInfinity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Alright, so I fixed it... kinda. I burned a bootdisc to a CD (I tried this a few times before, but it never worked) popped in my PS1 and... it worked. I put in my NTSC copy of Mega Man X5 and it played perfectly, colour and all... for a bit anyway. After about 5 minutes the sound started skipping so I turned it off to try one of my other games. When I tried to use the bootdisc again the PS1 wouldn't load it. It tried to load the disc, but would just stop and act like there was no disc at all. I put my PAL copy of Spyro in to see if it could load any disc at all and it loaded up fine... I just can't win...

I remember hearing somewhere that the earlier PS1 models' laser wears out easier, and running backups and imports puts more strain on the laser, or something along those lines. So maybe it's something to do with that? I dunno. Maybe I should grab one of my newer model PS1s and try to do a swap trick with it or something...

If your TV has S-Video socket you can use that with S-Video cable.You can find it on eBay and it's not so expensive.It has better picture quality too btw.
I checked, none of my TVs have S-Video :/

kutteke

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's true some lasers are picky about wich brand/type of cd you use. Make sure you burn the games at the lowest speed possible. And I would check out a patch instead of a bootdisc, way easier in the long run. (funny It was also megaman x5 that made me search for the same solution.)

[^Blark^]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what boot disc do you have / used is it the one where the menu is all green/blueish color and you can force pal/ntscu. I used to play PAL to NTSCU. I still have the bootdisc somewhere I found it on some site and made a copy... only problem is swapping the discs at the right times it's gotta be done perfect sometimes the boot disc menu loads but won't load a game properly because of the swap wasn't done correctly.

burn speed also plays a factor I think I burned at like 1x max with alcohol120%

Last edited by [^Blark^],

koffieleut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can buy a ntsc to pal converter on alixpress, I bought one for my famicom for on an old pal tv. It works but skips the last few frames on every clock cycle. So playing Kirby this way isn't perfect, but it's in color ;)

ZeroInfinity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So, I researched more about the laser problem and was basically right. Long story short, I got my Dad to fix the laser. I got the bootdisk to load up a few more times and it was even running games better in general. But, the PS1 REALLY struggles to run the bootdisk. I have to restart the console several times to get it to work. Sometimes it does the thing where it just goes to the PS1 menu like there's no disk and sometimes it'll get stuck at the PS1 logo screen. The PS1 also makes a horrific noise when trying to load it. I tested it with one of the other backup disks that were given to me with the console and it worked fine. I realized that the back up I played was on a blue coloured disk while my bootdisk was on a silver disk... Putting the pieces together, I figured it must have something to do with the type of disk I was using and after researching, I was right.

Now, from what I've heard, Verbatim CD-Rs seem to be one of the best options, specifically the DataLifePlus ones. Interestingly, I haven't been able to find any Verbatim DataLifePlus CD-Rs within Australia, aside from ones like this: http://www.estore.com.au/verbatim-datalifeplus-94892-cd-recordable-media-cd-r-52x-700-mb-50-pack-spindle-sku-vbm0451 and I don't really need 50 of them... and that price is making me suspicious of their quality. Seems too cheap... So, does anyone know if Verbatims labeled as just 'AZO CD-Rs' are the same thing? like these?
http://www.estore.com.au/verbatim-cd-recordable-media-cd-r-52x-700-mb-10-pack-jewel-case-sku-vbm1846
I know that DataLifePlus disks are AZO CD-Rs too (it's like, a dye or something? and they're blue?), but are they the same thing? I don't want to waste my money on disks that might not be any good. (I already did that. Not doing it again.)

Also to add the problem, my copy of Megaman X5 has disk rot. Like, really bad disk rot. (It's like little 'holes' in the disk that you can see when you hold the disk in front of a light source.) The game will hardly run at all and when it does, it really struggles to run the intro FMV and the music is really jumpy. It even got stuck on a load screen at one point. So now I need to buy a new copy or download and burn an ISO to a disk to play it. GREAT. This whole thing has been a huge mess. It probably would have easier to buy a mod chip and install it in one of my other PS1s.
(Oh and almost forgot, I burned a new bootdisk on a Kodak Gold CD-R. They were on clearance at a nearby store so I picked up a few to try. It works better now, but if I want to make more backups, I'm gonna need more disks.)

And sorry for the long post... that is actually rather pointless now that I'm reading it... Oh well. I'm sure someone will enjoy reading about my random PS1 problems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the...