Modded My Wii over a year ago

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Klightx15, Feb 8, 2011.

Feb 8, 2011

Modded My Wii over a year ago by Klightx15 at 6:42 AM (1,044 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Klightx15
    OP

Member Klightx15 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So i soft modded my wii about over a year ago with cioscorps. i havent used it in about that long either. but i recently got Netflix and i wanted to install it on my Wii, but my Shop Channel doesnt work. is there any way i can get the Shop Channel to work or undo all the mods made on the wii or reset it completely? or even install the Netflix channel through a wad?

2. Liberty

Member Liberty GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
  3. Klightx15
    OP

United States
    will this work even if my wii is already modded? like will it brick it? or should i just follow all the instructions

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    A bit of technical mumbo-jumbo: a wii operates on input-output systems (IOS'es). They're comparable to the BIOS of your computer...the main difference is that the wii has a whole bunch of them. A bug in the older versions allowed hackers to get around the security and allow for all sorts of hacks. Nintendo always tries to fix these, but as long as not everything is fixed up completely, it remains possible to undo it. Or even use updated versions of the IOS, except that that bug is still there.

Cioscorp - and darkcorp, which is its successor - basically overwrites all IOS'es it can find with its own versions (with the bug intact). Other hacker groups don't really like that, as the thorough changes 'corp makes on the interior of your wii may cause other homebrew, such as the Homebrew channel, to malfunction (these are designed to work on normal IOS'es).

Why does all this matter? Because cioscorp replaced your IOS'es. If you remove these IOS'es, you will brick your wii. Updating the firmware will probably work but has the major disadvantage that it will remove all hacks, and you will have to rehack your wii from scratch (important: you will need one of a certain few games for that rehack, so don't update unless you know exactly what you're going to do afterwards). In short: undoing the mods is close to impossible, and rather dangerous. Resetting the wii memory is, for as far as it goes, even more pointless and dangerous. Sorry for the overly warnings (don't mean to scare you), but it has to be said: you can't go back to the way things were.

That aside: IIRC, modmii can manually update your wii channels. Start the program and search through the menu's 'till you find a way to download the latest shopping channel as a wad. Download that and install it.

I have to admit I know nothing about netflix. It may be needed to update one or more IOS'es for it (see modmii in the previous paragraph), but I hope someone else can tell you more about it.

5. chop

Member chop GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    It will work, just tell ModMii that your wii is a virgin.

6. Klightx15
    OP

United States
    thanks a lot for the info wever. i thought i read somewhere a while ago that cioscorp made a program that can reverse its effect.

if i update the firmware wont it brick my wii? or will it actually overwrite the IOS's that cioscorp replaced in the first place? and all i remember for the game that you had to have to hack the wii was twilight princes. which i have.

7. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Reverse, no less? I'm not too familiar with it, but I doubt it. In order to do that, it needs to build a list of what IOS'es you had prior to installing cioscorp and an internet connection to actually find and install those. I think the cios removal program just updates the affected IOS'es to a certain version. But you'll have to ask that to more informed sources. All I can tell you is that cioscorp/darkcorp is only needed if you insist on using backup DVD's AND that you want to run all your games from the disc channel. If you use a USB drive for loading games or an external loader like neogamma, it's not needed at all. And it comes with uncertainties.

I think it will just overwrite the IOS's, but I'm not sure. You see: cioscorp consist of hacked IOS's. One of the things that isn't too hard to change is the version number. And if they have given numbers that are higher than nintendo's update version, it won't touch them.
    (perhaps it's easier to just run syscheck and post the results here...that'll reveal your corped IOS'es and their version number).

Unfortunately, if you do an official update, it will update to the latest version. And the twilight hack (as well as bannerbomb) is blocked on that version. For an American wii on the latest firmware, you need either lego Indiana jones, lego batman, lego star wars the complete saga, super smash bros brawl or wheelie breakers.
    But even if you have those games, I advise modmii (like others have said). It's a bit more clicking on menu's, but it is far less likely to get you something you didn't want.

8. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    There is a DARK/CIOSCORPS uninstaller (usually comes with the instller pack), but not sure of exacly what it does AFTER removal of the cIOS's. MMM (MultiModManager) could be a simpler way to install clean IOS's as you can see which ones have max'd out versions and delete/install clean ones at the same time. Just mt 2p's worth

9. scooby74029

Member scooby74029 "fake coder"

United States
    as for the netfix wad just get your shop channel going and then download the netflix channel from the shopchannel you also must have the latest ios 56 for netfilx to work

10. Klightx15
    OP

United States
    Once again thank you so much for the information everyone. Wever, can you direct me or give me instructions on Syscheck? also if i do end up updating the firmware I will use ModMii to rehack it. I do have Brawl though too.

I wish i would've known more about cioscorps before i went on and modded my wii a long time ago lol.

ill also look into the new shop channel wad and netflix wad.