Homebrew Modded DSi - Pokemon games error without WiFi

RichWeb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks. I have just modded my DSi XL with Twilight Menu ++, Unlaunch, and HiyaCFW. When running DS Pokémon games through Twilight Menu ++ with WiFi disabled, whether that's a rom file stored on the SD card or using a flash cart, an error shows on the screen "A communication error has occurred". More info on the error in a previous user post: https://gbatemp.net/threads/pokemon-platinum-a-communication-error-has-occurred.561525/

The error does not show when running the flash cart from the DSi menu (HiyaCFW).

The solution of course is to enable WiFi in Twilight Menu ++ settings, but does anyone know why this is happening? Seems very odd. Is there a particular setting that needs to be enabled/disabled? My hope is this is not a symptom of misconfiguration.

EDIT:

I have just tested my original Pokémon HeartGold cartridge and that exhibits the same behaviour, which rules out the rom and flashcart as the source of the problem.

Strange how these games work fine without WiFi when the cart is launched from the DSi menu.

Last edited by RichWeb,

RocketRobz

Coolest of TWL
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When launching from the DSi Menu, the WiFi setting is ignored.

Also, the reason why it errors, is because the console looks for a Wii console to connect to, in order to do stuff with Wii games, such as battles in Pokemon Battle Revolution, and Pokemon transfers in My Pokemon Ranch.
With WiFi disabled, the console can't find a Wii console, so it errors out.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

drasvidiu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
When launching from the DSi Menu, the WiFi setting is ignored.

Also, the reason why it errors, is because the console looks for a Wii console to connect to, in order to do stuff with Wii games, such as battles in Pokemon Battle Revolution, and Pokemon transfers in My Pokemon Ranch.
With WiFi disabled, the console can't find a Wii console, so it errors out.

i am having this problem with twilight menu in every pokemon gen 4 games...
do you know if there is an option to solve it?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also, i own an old 3ds, and the wifi option doesn't show in twilight menu options

RocketRobz

Coolest of TWL
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also, i own an old 3ds, and the wifi option doesn't show in twilight menu options
Make sure WiFi is turned on in System Settings or the 3DS HOME Menu.

Reactions: banjo2

drasvidiu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't have a WEP key to connect in DS WFC. But the 3DS Wi-Fi is working well and was already activated. The problem can only be the wi-fi connection?

RocketRobz

Coolest of TWL
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a WEP key to connect in DS WFC. But the 3DS Wi-Fi is working well and was already activated. The problem can only be the wi-fi connection?
WiFi access points are not related to this issue.
Depending on your 3DS/2DS model, The WiFi feature could be either a physical switch on the console, or a setting in either System Settings or the 3DS HOME Menu (as "Wireless", iirc).

Reactions: banjo2

N7Kopper

Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With Wi-Fi disabled, the console can't even attempt to find a Wii console, so it errors out.
Pokémon Generation IV was designed for the DS - where the Wi-Fi couldn't be disabled; a failure to access the card would mean that it is broken. I know (from a quick test) that TWL_FIRM most likely spoofs an enabled wireless card that finds no connections. I don't know about the DSi or if nds-bootstrap is a special case, though.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Pokémon Generation IV was designed for the DS - where the Wi-Fi couldn't be disabled; a failure to access the card would mean that it is broken. I know (from a quick test) that TWL_FIRM most likely spoofs an enabled wireless card that finds no connections. I don't know about the DSi or if nds-bootstrap is a special case, though.

Actually, the DSi has a "DS backwards compatibility mode" memory mapping model. This means legacy NTR games still treat the DSi hardware as DS, thus, any legacy NTR IO read/writes, are understood by the DSi by extended hardware (new hardware supporting old, or old + new hardware routed in silicon).

It's very unlikely the ds wifi chip failed somehow, and it's mostly a software issue. The DS mode connection settings go to DS wifi chip, as opposed DSi mode / 3DS connection settings which go to DSi/3DS wifi chip.

drasvidiu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
WiFi access points are not related to this issue.
Depending on your 3DS/2DS model, The WiFi feature could be either a physical switch on the console, or a setting in either System Settings or the 3DS HOME Menu (as "Wireless", iirc).

The WiFi led is always turned on. And the connection sign is always blue with three sticks in the upper left 3DS menu. Isn't there a configuration related to Twilight Menu or WiFi connection I have to make? Beacause in other systems it appears to save and run fine. What can be different in my console?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Lol AHS is getting funny two dudes and two girls get pregnant
    Gift
  • Toastee_ @ Toastee_:
    Whats AHS?
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    What are you supposed to do when you have a thousand dollar piece of hardware that won't work because the API the manufacturer provided doesn't want to work?
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Ebay
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Oh great.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    It's a Linux bug.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Well a bug with their Linux drivers or something.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    It captures 2x the amount of packets on Windows 10 in a freaking VM where USB access is slower/more latent.
    Gift
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    what is this piece of hardware @gudenau
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Beagle 480
    Gift
  • T-hug @ T-hug:
    Dune 2021 1080p HDRip X264 AC3-EVO
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Dune? Reminds me of seeing my ex naked
    Gift
  • mr_switch @ mr_switch:
    Oh yeah Dune movie is out, watching it later
    Gift
  • mr_switch @ mr_switch:
    Here is hoping 2022 is a good year for DC cinematic universe
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Honestly don't really know what Dune is.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Anyone here know much about Jetbrains InteliJ Idea?
    Gift
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Oh, T-hug was here :blink:
    Gift
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Hey, where the admins at? Come in the chat. I got a idea. How bout a Sound notification or something when someone tags you in chat? :ninja:
    Gift
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Post it in the v8 feedback thread
    Gift
  • Gift
  • OzKenny1983 @ OzKenny1983:
    Post what sorry? I'm guessing we were talking about this ages ago, but I haven't been on GBATemp in almost a year so my memory is failing me :-/
    Gift
    feedback and or bugs that may have popped up since the migration to XenForo 2!
    Gift
    Umm...I think you might have the wrong person, since that may as well have been written in Chinese. I have nothing to do with the management of this site, nor have I ever been involved. I'm just a member, and hardly even qualify as that...like I said my last post was almost a year ago lol
    Gift
    Lol no, Sonic Angel Knight had an idea, best would be to post it in that thread haha
    Gift
    Sorry, don't know Sonic Angel Knight either...
    Gift
    OzKenny1983 @ OzKenny1983: Sorry, don't know Sonic Angel Knight either...