Modchips of the future

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by elderdakkar, Jan 29, 2007.

Jan 29, 2007

Modchips of the future by elderdakkar at 8:40 AM (1,182 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. elderdakkar
    OP

Newcomer elderdakkar Member

Germany
    hello everbody.

i would like to hear some opinions:

how good or bad are the chances, that there will be a more advanced modchip?

something i'm badly waiting for:

- mediaplayer with the ability of reading media over the network from samba/windows shares
    - possibilty of mounting a USB HD to the USB Ports of the wii in order to place and start my backups directly from there
    - region free

these are the point that are really important for me. but if u think this will NEVER come, then there is no sense in waiting 4 something that will never happen. so what do u think? :unshure:

waiting for a more advanced modchip or throw my hopes away and use the wiinja?

greetings
    dakky

2. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You do not have to "throw away your hopes". Buy the Wiinja, and if something better comes along, remove the Wiinja. The things you are hoping for will probably take years to develop, especially to deal with firmware upgrades.

3. Katalyst

Member Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

United States
    It's still early. The console's only been out for so long and anything is possible. I'm sure a lot of things will be developed over time. You should wait anyway since it's so damn early, unless you're just really anxious to play backups. Regardless, anything you buy in any case will always have something better come out afterwards. You can never buy the "best" item.

4. nevixa

Newcomer nevixa Advanced Member

Netherlands
    I think these things will definately come, but it will at least takes a few more months.

I know that there are people really into adjusting the firmware. If the firmware can be modified you will be able to do the things you name. The only disadvantages could be that updating wouldn't be possible and you will lose some other functions with that.

5. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    I strongly agree with this. There is no reason that the Wiinja or other similar 1st Gen modchip could not just be removed and replaced with a newer type. That's what I'm planning to do.