Modchip's not working, please have a look.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Deekman, Apr 13, 2007.

Apr 13, 2007
  1. Deekman
    OP

Member Deekman GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I just finished installing my Wii modchip and everything looks good to me and all the solder points appear to be unbridged. I put it back together and everything on my Wii worked fine, except the modchip. I tried it a few times and nothing happened, then I tried a real copy of Zelda and it read no problem, so it's not my Wii, it must have been the chip installation. I've attached some pictures, they're not as clear as I'd like them to be but hopefully someone'll be able to tell me what's going wrong here. I've double checked to make sure nothing's bridged and it doesn't seem that way, and I'm very confident everything's on there in the right spots, but I have no idea what could be causing this problem.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Picture 1
    Picture 2
    Picture 3
    Picture 4
    Picture 5
    Picture 6

2. Bloodgod

Member Bloodgod 嵐の王

United States
    what kind of DVDr media are you using?

3. Deekman
    OP

Canada
    Maxell DVD-R

4. Bloodgod

Member Bloodgod 嵐の王

United States
    sorry, I asked a retarded question. Your first step after installing your chip should have been to try and run the WiiKey setup disk. If that didn't run you might have messed up installing. If it did the media you would be using is the problem. As for Maxell dvdr I am not to familiar with them.

5. Deekman
    OP

Canada
    Yep first thing we did was try to run the setup wiikey disk and it got a read error and so did our other backups.
    But the original games work fine.

6. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    all your point looks ok, i'd most likely check gnd and power, gnd looks somewhat burnt maybe or just burnt flux. checked your points and they all seem to go where they should. if you cant figure it out try to undo everything and redo it, if it still doesnt work its prob a doa wiikey.

7. Deekman
    OP

Canada
    What's the gnd?

8. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ground, Point #1 on wiikey install guide

9. modmanwii

Member modmanwii GBAtemp Regular

United States
    im no expert but isnt that a bad solder job?

10. Deekman
    OP

Canada
    It musta been a good soldering job because everything's working fine. The freeking disk was burnt off at too high of a speed and THAT's why it wasn't working. Also, it could have been my poopy media. Either way, it's working now. I know I'm feeling stupid.
    Thanks for the help either way!

11. Frankdux

Newcomer Frankdux Advanced Member

Canada
    I dont want to sound rude... But man.. those are some bad cold sodler points, hald your points dont look to be making a solid connection., the other half are cold solder and are probably not conductiong all too well.

I would remove them using a solder braid. then redo them, and please for the love of god or at least your Wii use flux past, just a dab on the pads or wires and a tiny tiny drop of solder (1/4) of what you got now. and your install will be clean looking , less chance of a short and you wont have cold sodler points. and it will work .. as long as you dont rip up some of those pads.. a few of them look like they will rip so go easy, one at a time and take your time..

good luck

the media might have worked.. but in the future dont be suprised if a solder joint stops conducting..

where do you like, I can clean it up for you

12. Deekman
    OP

Canada
    Well it's still working with no problems.
    I'm just outside of Edmonton where are you situated in case this thing gos tits up.