Modchips and the VC

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by OscarK, Feb 15, 2007.

Feb 15, 2007

Modchips and the VC by OscarK at 11:38 PM (1,354 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. OscarK
    OP

Newcomer OscarK Newbie

United Kingdom
    I'm new here and new to soldering so this may be a fairly obvious question. Its fair to assume that Nintendo know about the modchips and whilst probably unable to do much about them, there remains the problem of what happens when/if your Wii is to ever break. VC games are tied to the Wii console itself rather than some sort of user ID (although a link with gonintendo.com can be setup) so in the case of the Wii failing ever, Nintendo have stated they will transfer your VC licenses if you send them the Wii.

The problem here is that Nintendo would sensibly check for traces of modchip usage and possibly refuse to transfer the VC licenses across. Even if the modchip was removed (which obviously means non-quicksolder solutions are preferable), how much trace is there of its existance - is it possible to remove the solder completely in general and are there no 'voided waranty' seals anywhere?

On an similar note, anyone thought about the same regarding extended store warranties. Now these are generally a scam so I don't personally have one but surely if the store simply replaces the console with a new one, no VC data will be transferred and its doubtful they will authorise sending it to Nintendo and footing the bill so what happens?

- Oscar [​IMG]

2. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If your modded Wii breaks, burn it until it's a mangled pulp of white plastic. Send it to them in a trash bag with a note about how your house caught on fire.

3. Dylanwhat

Newcomer Dylanwhat Member

United States
    Nintendo's customer service is the best. I've sent them a flashed DS and I've heard of people sending in gamecubes with hammers smashed through them. The thing is that they send you the replacement unit first. You can have them relink your nintendo account to the new Wii before you even send your old Wii back. If all else fails just do the Wal-Mart swap.. if you can find another Wii.

4. Taras

Member Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

United States
    If you're going to mod, wait until a solderless chip comes out.

edit: I saw disclaimers for the WII chips about how are compatible with 'current' firmware". That indicates to me that Nintendo could possibly block mod chips wth a future update. If it is soldered that's another headache. Or you could turn off the Internet/24 hour connection, but that would suck. I won't mod mine, but advise people to wait until things shake out before diving in.

5. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    If you mod your Wii, you just need to accept that your warranty is void. If you're worried then wait until your warranty is over.

6. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    Just take your wii into the shop and replace it. I made a scratch on my white ds lite and i didnt want a white one anymore so i took it back to the shop and complained about the battery and got a new black one. I bricked my sisters pink ds lite and she lives far away so i just put it in my girlfriends box with my girlfriends receipt and swapped it. No ones gunna take your wii apart when you take it back to a shop.

7. deufeufeu

Member deufeufeu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Cote d'Ivoire
    if you have a modchip you don't need VC period

8. OscarK
    OP

Newcomer OscarK Newbie

United Kingdom
    Seems most people are misunderstanding me. I am not wondering about getting the console replaced under warranty as I of course understand that modchipping effectively destroys the warranty so there is no point. What I am concerned about is the Virtual Console games - Nintendo have stated that even if the warranty is out, they will transfer any games bought to a new Wii if the old one is sent to them. All well and good, but what about if there is/has been a modchip in the Wii. Basically, how easy and possible is it to remove all traces of a modchip installation?

And yes, of course the VC can be deemed unnecessary as it can be obtained via other emulation means but that is not quite the point. I personally find the convenience and integration quite a reasonable reason for buying off the VC. What about if/when new content gets released on the VC - people will pay to download this but might not be able to transfer it to another console if it breaks.

- Oscar [​IMG]

9. directive0

Member directive0 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Oscar I agree on the point of the VC wholeheartedly.

On the topic of your query, I personally would question the legitimacy of them refusing service for a modification done to the unit outside of the warranty period despite its arguable legality. But that being said... I don't think its entirely outside the realm of probability that they would simply refuse, I just think its very unlikely.

10. damnet

Member damnet GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    well, all you have to do is do it carefully when soldering, try not to scratch anything on the internals, when removing, a good solder wick should take care of the left over solder just fine.

11. kdanarch

Newcomer kdanarch Advanced Member

United States

If you tie your Wii to your nintendo account, your online account remembers which VC games you purchased.

I assume if you tie your new Wii to the same account you bought the games on your old Wii with, it would honor your purchases and allow you to redownload for free the games you've already purchased.

12. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    You assume incorrectly. I wish it did work that way, but it doesn't.