Modchip Installation at electronics store?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by squeakypants, Aug 12, 2007.

Aug 12, 2007
  1. squeakypants
    OP

Newcomer squeakypants Member

United States
    I saw someone post this idea on psx-scene. I was wondering if it's tangible:
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/wiikey/58479-n...done-cheap.html

As pointed out on that forum, I'd think any pro would know he'd be installing a modchip. Still, it'd a cheap option and I don't need to go to a random stranger from the internet to get it done. What do you guys think?

I'm planning on getting a Wiikey, since I don't plan on opening up the Wii again unless I need to remove the chip. However, is there anywhere you can get an Atmegal8 without ordering online, as well as everything needed to build a programmer?

2. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    I thought it was a joke when I saw the thread but, hey you can try and you'll know you'll get the Wii back. Besides the only thing he can do is reject you and say no. He cant take the Modchip or the Wii because it's legally yours because you paid for it [​IMG]

3. squeakypants
    OP

Newcomer squeakypants Member

United States
    Well I can open up the Wii and take out the drive. The points are just too small for me to try to solder. I'd only give him the chip and the drive.

If he knew it was a modchip, could he do anything besides reject me? lol, is there anyone to report it to? It sounds stupid, but in all seriousness could he call the police or anything? I mean it is illegal right?

Also, are there any franchises of this kind of repair shop in the US? I don't know of any around here (south jersey) offhand.

4. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just look in your phonebook under electronics repair, or TV repair. should be a bunch.

5. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Good idea. Now I can cheaply have my Wii modchip installed if I buy it in the future.

6. Goldcoastr

Newcomer Goldcoastr Advanced Member

Australia
    Id like to add this

the world at this stage is getting bad really bad

anyway yeah mate take it any where

example a pc shop who does repairs as they all do

even the tv repair shop in your local town

take it anyway with the diagram of how to install like the diagram on where each solder point goes

& trust me they will install it

worlds that bad at moment no 1 cares bout anything except how much do i get for doing & when you going pay me

also i would let them charge you the world other wise yeah get a professional installer in your local area to do the job

if you as said take wii apart & get every thing ready which is basicly just open the case & remove the main drive part

take it to any shop which does electronic repairs show them the diagram & ask nicely of course lol

can you solder these 6 points up for me

trust me they do it

i say not charge more then 10 to 20 bucks cheaper then any other installer around

7. Gamesphere

Member Gamesphere GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This isn't a bad idea, But everyone knows if you have a 3 cut leg wii then this is out the question.

8. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    If you come to Frankston Jaycar fortnightly on a Friday(not next friday but friday after) I might be able to arrange something. If you catch my drift [​IMG]