Mod chips affected by latest updates?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kid sampson, Jul 19, 2008.

Jul 19, 2008
  1. kid sampson
    OP

Member kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just purchased my Wii a week or so ago and have just gotten around to experimenting with homebrew today via the Twilight hack. The next purchase I would like to make is a modchip. I will be installing it with the clip instead of soldering it to the drive. My console has the latest firmware (3.3) and before I purchase a chip, I wanted to make sure that I could still boot discs now that my Wii has been updated.

Thanks.

2. gamerjr

Member gamerjr GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I am pretty sure no.

3. kid sampson
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to verify before purchasing it.

4. hippyharry

Member hippyharry GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    now now, wait a minute.

thats a lot of crap right there.

You can still boot "backup's" on Version 3.3, but what you need to do is if you are loading games like SSBB the DVD5 version, you will need GeckOS installed on the wii to load the game through as Version 3.3 just stops trucha signed games from running.

But it should work just fine!

5. kid sampson
    OP

United States
    Hmm. I've seen the GeckOS channel installer on the boards and if it's just a matter of installing that and using it as a loader for the disc, that's not a problem. I can handle that.

But does the update interfere with GC backups?

From what you've written, hippyharry, the only change is that some games won't boot directly without using GeckOS? Are many images trucha signed?

If not, why wouldn't you want to upgrade? And everyone will need to eventually as new games require it, won't they?

Again, I appreciate the advice, as I am just beginning to understand how all of the tools work for this system.

6. killplaystation

Member killplaystation GBAtemp Fan

United States
    why would you use a dvd5 version? Aren't some things missing?
    And no, alot of games arent trucha signed, the only reason the dvd5 ssbb is trucha signed is because the image is modified. Thats the only time its done. Like if it's patched or changed in some way.

7. drfsupercenter

Member drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

United States
    How exactly do you use the WiiKey (or other chip) update discs? The one I got was only like 8MB... will that work with 3.3? Or do I need to boot it from another game like you were talking about?

And can you use GeckOS without having an SD or USB Gecko?

8. kid sampson
    OP

United States
    killplaystation, thanks for explaining when trucha signatures are used. Going to start shopping around to find the right pre-soldered wiiclip combo.