Mod affect GC controler ports?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by malachii69, Mar 23, 2007.

Mar 23, 2007
  1. malachii69
    OP

Newcomer malachii69 Newbie

United States
    I have a release day console with a Cyclowiz.

I have finally gotten around to trying some homebrew and some older GC titles

I have 2 older wired gamecube controllers (kept these when I traded my system in) that are not detected in any of the 4 ports on the wii. memory card is seen fine, but no matter which ports I plug into, I get nothing.

I have reopened the console and poked around to see if anything jumps out at me, but I do not see anything. Any ideas on what I should be looking for? Or why this isn't working?

Thanks for any help.

2. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    If these older wired controllers are third party and not official Nintendo GC controllers then there is a good chance they won't work with the Wii.
    Many 3rd party controllers are incompatible with the Wii.

3. malachii69
    OP

Newcomer malachii69 Newbie

United States

Well, damn, thanks for that info. After all the reading I have been doing I have not seen that mentioned. These 2 controllers are indeed Mad Katz cheapos...

How can the system detect an official controller vs a 3rd party one?

4. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i bought a super generic 3rd party gc controller from Ebay, the Z button got stuck first time i used it and had to open the case up and carve out some plastic so it doesnt jam, but for some reason it works great, in ebay it was the "Jet Black Gamecube GC Controller " but other colors prob same thing (no branding or anything on it)

*Edit*
    heres a auction of the same controller
    Jet Black Gamecube GC Game Controller Pad 4 Nintendo