Homebrew Official Mocha CFW - The sweet chocolate to your latte!

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey everyone,

it's been a while since I wrote here last time as I was busy with private stuff the last couple of weeks but I started doing some WiiU stuff a few days ago and I though maybe I will post some wip info.

I was working on native FAT32 USB mounting on IOS side. It took quite a bit of reversing time and was harder to figure out than I first expected it to be. I had to figure out many internal processes nintendo uses and how they interoperate between them in FS, MCP and ACP but by know I figured the most necessary things out and also found several ways to do it. So I chose one way and it works pretty well and looks promising :D.

So what I managed to do by now is an automatic FAT32 USB mount in the system that is treated by the system very similar to the WFS USB mounts. Meaning the system does see the USB drive as an actual Wii U formatted usb drive. The System Menu does list the titles on the partition in the "/usr/" folder on the drive and even the System Settings see the drive and can copy titles over. So basically you don't really see any difference between a WiiU formatted drive and a FAT32 formatted drive which is pretty cool.

Additionally as a bonus the FAT32 partition of my USB drive became automatically the first "external mount source" on the WiiU after my changes. The "external mount sources" are FAT drives on the WiiU and is usually only used by the SD card. So by becoming the first external mount source everything that is normally loaded from SD card is now loaded from the FAT32 usb partition. That includes homebrews like HBL and even loadiine. It just runs directly without any change to the actual homebrews. Of course you can see this as a negative side effect as the SD is 2nd external source and is not directly used by the homebrews without any code change to them. So I will look at it later and probably make the USB the 2nd external mount source and the homebrews can mount it on demand. So that's something to look forward to.

But there are also some issues left to be addressed before making this new feature public. The FAT32 filesystem does not support every feature that the native WiiU filesystem WFS supports, for example it does not support changing owner of a folder/file and does not support any kind of file/folder modes/permission flags. This is something usually only supported on unix based filesystems or similar. Another thing FAT32 does not support is the quota system that nintendo developed for game saves storing. It restrains a folder to a specified size. You can not set a restrain of size to a FAT32 folder.
So what the next steps are is to patch the FSA functions to be always successful on USB FAT partitions in FS module and do what's minimum necessary to make it look like it is supported ( i mean who cares if a folder has a size restrain for game's save :P). If this part is not done, then creating saves for games that are newly added is not possible and will fail...just as example. Also ACP throws system errors in some cases because the file owner or mode flags can not be changed which sucks to. But those are really small things compared to the rest and shouldn't take much time to do.

So that's where I am at the moment. It's too bad I didn't make it in time for new year's eve as that was kind of my goal and since I will be gone the next two days I won't make it in time anymore. But you can look forward for a nice new feature in the year 2017 for mocha :).

That said I wish a happy new year's eve to everyone tommorow and later a happy new year.
Any possibility to support ext4 or something? Or it is to difficult?

kidasquid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is still something I'm looking for as I'm thinking of buying another Wii U.
My (v)Wii saves are on my emuNAND on USB as well so the Wii U side is the only thing pretending me from using one drive wherever I want.

Quick question (not about Mocha): Where are the saves usually for games that I've installed to USB via WUP Installer? On the drive or the internal Wii U memory as they are for sysNAND installed games?

The save follows the install, so USB for USB games, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: lordelan

sekoBR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Icon and image for Mocha.

https://mega.nz/#!RJpCHZbZ!OfoQhoL3OtxBC7iVz1gU99HakJfnS38McUnJf3Bos7k

VkEwIBz.jpg

kZu1zdL.jpg

Ape8000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, seeing as dimok seems to be building parts of his own file system, would it be impossible for him to write a little key combo or config option in Mocha that will allow you to load the games in chunks? Aka: read game chunk A (1-299) or games chunk B (300-599) and ignore the rest of the files from being read (by renaming or some other filsystem wizardry). I suppose kind of like how many ODE drives or the amiibo things work? Maybe pressing EJECT twice will slide the file system to read the next 300 games over instead, etc. That's what I meant by using this FAT32 as a bypass.
Interesting idea. Some homebrew app could probably be written to rename the "usb:/usr/title" folder and the BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat file.
usr/title/ = current 300
usr/title2/ = 2nd 300
BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat = current 300 menu layout
BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat2 = 2nd 300 menu layout
then when you run the Swap300 homebrew app or some other better name, it would rename as:
usr/title/ --> usr/title1/
usr/title2/ --> usr/title/
BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat --> BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat1
BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat2 --> BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat

Then when run again it would swap them back.
Needs to be tested on redNAND first with ftpuii_everywhere first though.
Personally I don't have 300 titles so I'm good, but if injected VC could be packaged on the Wii U menu, I could see me going over 300.

Reactions: lordelan

AshleyCummings

Gamer Girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok let me try again.. Sorry im bad at explaining x.x...

Vwii side is easy to get games, all we do is go on PC find games, then plop games onto a USB (then we hide the drive) then enter Vwii side and go into USB Loader GX and play ..
WiiU side is a pain.. we have to go on PC get games, then place onto a SD card, then go on to WiiU into homebrew, go to the modified WUP installer install the game on SD to the USB to play ..

This method is a headache .. The major Downside to this is you NEED a SD card big enough to transfer certain games ..You may have a big enough USB Drive but you cant just plop the games onto the USB drive like you can with Vwii..

My Question to all of you is this:
Will we A: ever get a USB Loader GX for the WiiU side or B: will any of these custom firmwares/Homebrews ever get the option to load games off a USB without the need of a SD card to install?

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country

Vwii side is easy to get games, all we do is go on PC find games, then plop games onto a USB (then we hide the drive) then enter Vwii side and go into USB Loader GX and play ..
WiiU side is a pain.. we have to go on PC get games, then place onto a SD card, then go on to WiiU into homebrew, go to the modified WUP installer install the game on SD to the USB to play ..

This method is a headache .. The major Downside to this is you NEED a SD card big enough to transfer certain games ..You may have a big enough USB Drive but you cant just plop the games onto the USB drive like you can with Vwii..

Will we A: ever get a USB Loader GX for the WiiU side or B: will any of these custom firmwares/Homebrews ever get the option to load games off a USB without the need of a SD card to install?
Just buy a sd card big enough for god sake. How's it a headache

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not everyone has money to buy a big enough sd card ...
there should be a alternate like USB Loader GX (looks better to)..
don't know what country you are in but sd cards are mega cheap here in Scotland you can get genuine 32gb sd cards for the same price as a meal from McDonald's and 64gbs are not much more than the meal.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Sure. When Dimok has finished his FAT32 work Loadiine could easily run off USB. Loadiine is almost exactly the same as USBLGX then.
However installing games to the homemenu is much better for compatibility reasons. But as Dimok stated homebrew could easily changed to work from USB when he's done so most likely it'll be like:
- put games in USB:\install\game_folder
- run WUP Installer y mod USB mod once to install 'em all to USB
- turn on your Wii U and directly play whatever you want (you'd need SigPatches, CBHC or CFW though)

AshleyCummings

Gamer Girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure. When Dimok has finished his FAT32 work Loadiine could easily run off USB. Loadiine is almost exactly the same as USBLGX then.
However installing games to the homemenu is much better for compatibility reasons. But as Dimok stated homebrew could easily changed to work from USB when he's done so most likely it'll be like:
- put games in USB:\install\game_folder
- run WUP Installer y mod USB mod once to install 'em all to USB
- turn on your Wii U and directly play whatever you want (you'd need SigPatches, CBHC or CFW though)
this will be a great day when this happens I have one usb 128 gb that a friend gave me, and a small 16 gb sd card so this usb trick will be awesome cant wait !

sharkyRio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm new to wii u hacking scene but not a complete noob cause I succesfully hacked my 3ds console. Anyway I've some questions and I didn't find a reply in this forum to clarify my doubts about:
1. Dimok says about mocha: "The OTP and SEEPROM dump is automatically injected into SD card if it is missing when OTP or SEEPROM redirection is enabled in redNAND mode.."..;
this means that I have to inject my otb.bin and seeprom.bin files previusly dumped (by otp2sd and seeprom2sd) or place them directly in sd root to allow redirection? Cause seems that dimoks' sdio extractor/injector app allows to dump/inject (in hidden sd partition) only the 3 files of rednand previously dumped with the same app.
2. Dimoks claims that mocha isn't a simple sigpatcher..so I understand that mocha (last 0.2 ver.) applies all the patches (in sysNAnd and redNand) of dimoks' iosuhax fork (from his last repo) in the same way could make a compiled fw.img file with his same fork..isn't it? So I can't understand why many people continue the harder way, compiling fw.img files from dimoks fork instead using mocha..
Sorry for my long and borig post. Hope someone aknowledged can reply.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sharkyRio,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I can't understand why many people continue the harder way, compiling fw.img files from dimoks fork instead using mocha..

I'm not aware of anyone who's still doing this. Everyone who used fw.img is using either Mocha CFW, SigPatches2sys/hbl (which is the fastest but functionally lightest solution) or CBHC instead.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
SharkyRio:
2 - replied above. nobody still use that method.
1-
the OTP and SEEPROM is not dumped and written at NAND dumping step.
but it's dumped on the first time the console tries to access OTP and/or SEEPROM while being in rednand mode.
so if you already have a binary dump, you can use SDIO program to inject them manually to a "not already injected" redNAND partition, OR wait for the console to actually tries to access them for Mocha to dump them automatically if not present on SD card.

Though, I recommend to still dump them manually, just in case your redNAND and sysNAND are using a different SEEPROM data (after formating sysNAND it uses a different SEEPROM, etc.)
this way, you can be sure that you have a SEEPROM copy matching your redNAND version.

sharkyRio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm not aware of anyone who's still doing this. Everyone who used fw.img is using either Mocha CFW, SigPatches2sys/hbl (which is the fastest but functionally lightest solution) or CBHC instead.
Ok..so all patching ways you said lead to the same result and is a personal choice of everyone which one to adopt (meets his personal likes). Thanks

sharkyRio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
SharkyRio:
2 - replied above. nobody still use that method.
1-
the OTP and SEEPROM is not dumped and written at NAND dumping step.
but it's dumped on the first time the console tries to access OTP and/or SEEPROM while being in rednand mode.
so if you already have a binary dump, you can use SDIO program to inject them manually to a "not already injected" redNAND partition, OR wait for the console to actually tries to access them for Mocha to dump them automatically if not present on SD card.

Though, I recommend to still dump them manually, just in case your redNAND and sysNAND are using a different SEEPROM data (after formating sysNAND it uses a different SEEPROM, etc.)
this way, you can be sure that you have a SEEPROM copy matching your redNAND version.
Thanks for your reply. Ok..so SEEPROM and OTP dumps I made manually can be injected in SD, cause mocha didn't dump them when made rednand partition..but with dimoks' app called SDIO nand extractor/injector I didn't understand HOW to inject them properly (NAND extraction and dump process was more intuitive for me), cause there are some options to choose from (nands MLC, SLC, SLCCMPT) and I don't know how to set it up properly to make the "right injection"..maybe someone did it and can explain me STEP by STEP..thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9p0iK877W4