Homebrew Official Mocha CFW - The sweet chocolate to your latte!

patheern

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hi,

Im using CBHC (CBHC boot menu Autoboot: System Menu) and I want to load Mocha so that I can use TCPGecko. It worked for some time but now Mocha wont load, the screen just goes black and then it goes back to the HBL menu. Other apps loads fine from the SD card.
If I start Mocha from the CBHC boot menu it works 50% of the times.

I need some help fixing this, any suggestions are welcome.

SxUranus

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey everyone,

it has been a while since my last post. I've been really busy in the past weeks but unfortunately not with wii u developement. I have a project for a customer and I need to meet a few deadlines. So there was absolutely no time left for me to also work on the wii u. Since the beginning of this year I worked only 2 or 3 hours on mocha in total. Actually i have been feeling bad for not spending as much time with my family as before that project and start to regret ever taking on it but thats another story...

So the reason I am writing this post is to let you know that I just pushed my wip source code to github in the hope that someone is interessted in it and can use some of it to maybe continue or even finish this up since I don't see me working on it in the next two or three weeks. I should have done this push a month ago as the source code wasnt moving since about a month anywhere, sorry. I will probably continue working on it at some point but it wont happen anytime soon. I didn't follow the wii u scene or any posts on gbatemp and it might be that this is not even needed anymore and in that case you guys can ignore it ;-). Otherwise...

I don't remember exactly where I stopped or how I used it but as far as I remember here is the summery of what works and what not:

What's working:
* USB FAT32 partition is mounted the same way as WFS if the "/usr" path is on it
* games do launch and save games do work (if copied manually to the /usr path)
* copying save games in settings to usb works
* copying whatever from usb works in settings
* USB FAT32 is primary FAT drive when mounted and replaces sdcard (homebrews and everything else is loaded from usb and not sd)

What's not working:
* copying games to USB (some titles worked, e.g. youtube)
* installing games to USB (wupinstaller fails with error code empty because files are 0 bytes)
* removing titles works only partially (quota remove is kinda buggy)
* symlinks don't work at all (only matter in install process)

To the reason why installing and copying games does not work:
Well it is not as much as it does not work completely. It does the process of the installation or the copy process successfully and it even takes as much time to do it as it would usually do but all the files that are 0 bytes if you look at it on a PC though the files and folders are all there. As far as I have figured it out and remember it correctly, the MCP module links the usb path to /vol/mcp_devmgr01 and copies over the files. This process seems to still have some issue. The ACP module uses an own direct mount and it seems to work fine for save game copy. I am thinking it is connected to the symlinks not working correct as I saw that function failing in the logs.

The biggest disappointment was when I first tried launching a game. I chose Super Mario 3D World as that was the perfect game to test the speed. I was very disappointed to see that it was freakishly slow....even slower than loadiine in my opinion. So the reason that loadiine is so slow with some games is not that the SD access is so slow but that the FAT32 driver implementation of Nintendo on the wii u is just crap. I mean I knew that it wasnt very good but I didn't expect that.... So this was one very big drop in motivation to actually finish this USB FAT32 access. It is not really good usable for games due to its speeds. Anyway, if you guys want you can try it out for yourself but don't use the current github version as your default one as it is probably buggy and even some old features might be broken now. It is work in progress.

Nevertheless FAT32 USB is a nice little feature and it is nice that you can make it work natively. If we would replace the Nintendo FAT32 driver complely this could probably be made usable for games but thats a shit load of work.
Well maybe someone wants to continue the work on my current attempt to work with the native driver for now and finish this. I will join on the work again when I got a bit more free time again.

Anyway if anyone got questions to anything in the code or maybe how the stuff works, you can pm me. I would understand it as the code is not clean at all, has many debug and testfunctions and isn't really selfexplanatory. I will answer all questions when I find the time (though it might take a few days or weeks).

Hello Dimok,
First thanks for what you've made every time i look into the credits of an app you are listed that's crazy
I know you have a familly and you prorbably don't have the time anymore to makes update and that i'm replying in 2021 but i don't find you anywhere in internet except here...

so I doubt you have time to Fix OTP and SEEPROM redirect in 5.5.2 but do you think it's possible ? i don't want to try something that can't work

i looked inside the Mocha Git but i can't figure out why it's doesn't work in 5.5.2

I know that i've got very low chances that you reply so if someone else know feel free to enlight me !

Have a nice day

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
that's what I mean.
well you said depends on the game which isnt true lol, every wiiu game works region free, since there is no diference in hardware of firmware so i dont know which game wouldnt work, since you say it depends on the game i suppose you mean some that wont work? i never saw a game that didnt work on another wiiu tbh.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is untrue.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Have you personally tested every game? There are many reports of not every game working.

Reactions: jacobsson

bitzthatbyte

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well you said depends on the game which isnt true lol, every wiiu game works region free, since there is no diference in hardware of firmware so i dont know which game wouldnt work, since you say it depends on the game i suppose you mean some that wont work? i never saw a game that didnt work on another wiiu tbh.

Wipeout 3 is one game that on a PAL Wii U requires you to also run spiik to get the game to boot or it just hangs on the splashscreen

Banco

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hi nintendo comrades!
I have a problem with my wiiU... i use MOCHA CFW aplication for CFW games, and everyting worked fine... From today, when i launch mocha from exploit menu i see MOCHA logo, and after that, begin spin "please wait" picture, and nothing. system just stuck. i need to reboot. i tried NNU pathcer, WUgx2 installer and homebrew launcher, everything works fine. just MOCHA does not work!!
becouse of that, i cant install and launch games which is CFW only... (and my MK with DLC is also CFW only! omg :wtf:)
i tried to reinstal mocha aplication from homebrew launcher. i tried to wait about min on "please wait" menu. nothing.
please help!
does somebody know what is problem and how i can resolve it???
thank in advance.
Banco.

Banco

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
ADD

O now found that this issues persist jus on my user account. when I switch user on another - old user, i without problem launc CFW Mocha. then, if again switch user on my account CFW games works! enyone know why it is so, and how i can repair thing??

sorry becouse my bad english...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hi nintendo comrades!
I have a problem with my wiiU... i use MOCHA CFW aplication for CFW games, and everyting worked fine... From today, when i launch mocha from exploit menu i see MOCHA logo, and after that, begin spin "please wait" picture, and nothing. system just stuck. i need to reboot. i tried NNU pathcer, WUgx2 installer and homebrew launcher, everything works fine. just MOCHA does not work!!
becouse of that, i cant install and launch games which is CFW only... (and my MK with DLC is also CFW only! omg :wtf:)
i tried to reinstal mocha aplication from homebrew launcher. i tried to wait about min on "please wait" menu. nothing.
please help!
does somebody know what is problem and how i can resolve it???
thank in advance.
Banco.
ADD

O now found that this issues persist jus on my user account. when I switch user on another - old user, i without problem launc CFW Mocha. then, if again switch user on my account CFW games works! enyone know why it is so, and how i can repair thing??

sorry becouse my bad english...

ColdBlitz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

it's been a while since I wrote here last time as I was busy with private stuff the last couple of weeks but I started doing some WiiU stuff a few days ago and I though maybe I will post some wip info.

I was working on native FAT32 USB mounting on IOS side. It took quite a bit of reversing time and was harder to figure out than I first expected it to be. I had to figure out many internal processes nintendo uses and how they interoperate between them in FS, MCP and ACP but by know I figured the most necessary things out and also found several ways to do it. So I chose one way and it works pretty well and looks promising :D.

So what I managed to do by now is an automatic FAT32 USB mount in the system that is treated by the system very similar to the WFS USB mounts. Meaning the system does see the USB drive as an actual Wii U formatted usb drive. The System Menu does list the titles on the partition in the "/usr/" folder on the drive and even the System Settings see the drive and can copy titles over. So basically you don't really see any difference between a WiiU formatted drive and a FAT32 formatted drive which is pretty cool.

Additionally as a bonus the FAT32 partition of my USB drive became automatically the first "external mount source" on the WiiU after my changes. The "external mount sources" are FAT drives on the WiiU and is usually only used by the SD card. So by becoming the first external mount source everything that is normally loaded from SD card is now loaded from the FAT32 usb partition. That includes homebrews like HBL and even loadiine. It just runs directly without any change to the actual homebrews. Of course you can see this as a negative side effect as the SD is 2nd external source and is not directly used by the homebrews without any code change to them. So I will look at it later and probably make the USB the 2nd external mount source and the homebrews can mount it on demand. So that's something to look forward to.

But there are also some issues left to be addressed before making this new feature public. The FAT32 filesystem does not support every feature that the native WiiU filesystem WFS supports, for example it does not support changing owner of a folder/file and does not support any kind of file/folder modes/permission flags. This is something usually only supported on unix based filesystems or similar. Another thing FAT32 does not support is the quota system that nintendo developed for game saves storing. It restrains a folder to a specified size. You can not set a restrain of size to a FAT32 folder.
So what the next steps are is to patch the FSA functions to be always successful on USB FAT partitions in FS module and do what's minimum necessary to make it look like it is supported ( i mean who cares if a folder has a size restrain for game's save :P). If this part is not done, then creating saves for games that are newly added is not possible and will fail...just as example. Also ACP throws system errors in some cases because the file owner or mode flags can not be changed which sucks to. But those are really small things compared to the rest and shouldn't take much time to do.

So that's where I am at the moment. It's too bad I didn't make it in time for new year's eve as that was kind of my goal and since I will be gone the next two days I won't make it in time anymore. But you can look forward for a nice new feature in the year 2017 for mocha :).

That said I wish a happy new year's eve to everyone tommorow and later a happy new year.
this is a dead project but knowing that the loading was slow because of bad fat32 drivers would it not be possible to just make your own and replace nintendos ones thats what I'd assume

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This project is far from dead, it was merged and used as a base for Tiramisu.
The person you were replying to was talking about a fork of Mocha that let you boot games from the sd card and whose development ended many years ago. They weren't talking about the main branch of mocha that was merged with tiramisu.

Reactions: piete

ColdBlitz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The person you were replying to was talking about a fork of Mocha that let you boot games from the sd card and whose development ended many years ago. They weren't talking about the main branch of mocha that was merged with tiramisu.
mocha fat32 was actually a project to allow the wii u to read fat32 hard drives instead of using the wfs format provided by nintendo which excuse my language fucks up the lifespan of hard drives for no good reason constant reading and writing
Post automatically merged:

This project is far from dead, it was merged and used as a base for Tiramisu.
yea but thats normal mocha I was referring to the fat32 fork which had alot of potential from what I think

ColdBlitz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, apologies for the misunderstanding.

Still if that's gonna happen at all now it will be over on Tiramisu, or more likely, the WiiU Plugin system.
Unlikely that its gonna happen I did think about just creating a custom os for the wii u because its unlikely you could fix the fat32 drivers :/

• Haha
Reactions: niuus

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I did think about just creating a custom os for the wii u because its unlikely you could fix the fat32 drivers :/
The FAT driver is just a module you can replace with ease. AFAIK someone is already working on FAT replacement, adding NTFS support and enabling all filesystem modules for USB.

How did you come to the conclusions writing a whole operating system from scratch would be more simple? Even if filesystems wouldn't be that modular on IOSU it would still be more simple to hack new drivers into it than writing a whole IOSU replacement. Also that replacement needs to be API compatible to CafeOS or do you want to replace that, too?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1