Mobile broadband (UK) other then 3g?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been looking into getting a 3g dongle so I can have internet access while I'm working at te holiday camp but it looks like Pwllheli where I'll be working is part of the 2% of the UK that isn't covered by 3g. Does anyone if there's any other networks that supply a mobile broadband dongle that doesn't piggyback off the 3g network?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Damn, I must have misread the map when I was going on about this (LL53 6HX which I am now being told is an invalid postcode by some of those sites) had 3G but not HSPA/HSPDA* (3g only is consider turning off pictures time).

The next step up is satellite but that is not nice price wise and is far more unwieldy than a little dongle (£55 or so a month for fairly mediocre speeds and I think you occasionally need a pro to install the dish although you might be able to get away with a portable one, granted this is about the same as line rental and a decent hookup from a normal landline). If you are considering this you can hook up a normal mobile and use a one way connection that could drop prices a little bit.

A step sideways is you learn about wireless security and long range transmission...... Wireless security is one thing but high power transmission can get and does you noticed.

Finally it is not broadband but you can get mobile internet off basic mobile phone transmission, expect to have your wallet raped for the privilege mind.

*I have done this maths/science/technology gig for as long as I can remember and never have I encountered more acronyms than when playing the mobile phone game.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Back in 2006 I used to use the Vodafone 3G thing to connect to the internet. Wasnt too expensive, was quite fast and more importantly it wasnt capped.
Now I am pretty sure that if you are in a zone that isnt covered by 3G you will fall back to GSM/GPRS, which is a little slower than 3G but should be enough for browsing websites, reading emails and chatting.

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Mobile broadband other than 3g?

Well, you're looking at something that doesn't exist in the UK.

Mobile connections other than broadband? EDGE, GPRS, which work the same way as 3g connections but slower. Heck, some/most dongles have support for these connections in the absence of a 3g network, and I'm pretty sure you can get a contract covering both.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheers for the info guys. I'm going to grab a lappy and a dongle with my first cheque. I got a new mobile today with web browsing on it so I should be able to still log on and post occasionally. It's a bit crap but it should do the trick. Can't really complain too much thought as it was given to me free by the dole!

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@trolly I would try one out first before parting with cash ...my opinion THEY SUCK!!!

CRAPPY SPEEDS with CRAPPY CONNECTIVITY and holding that connectivity!

they are usually limit capped this includes any videos watched any surfing done and even antivirus updates that can be upto 20mb a time if its updating the program too ...add to this the DONGLE software even wants/needs updating now and then adding to this capped limit!

best bet is to get a laptop with wifi in and find a wifi hotspot they are cheap enough to use for an hour FAR CHEAPER than a CRAPPY DONGLE!

some library's allow free wifi access so long as you don't abuse the traffic used
wink.gif

most companys give a NOT SO FREE laptop to get you to sign up only to realise that your now paying anywhere from £30 - £50 a month for a less than dialup crappy speed and capped from 700mb usage to around 1gb of usage per month for an 18 month contract!

Ask yourself can you justify the price per month for crappy speeds (yeah I like the word crappy!) would you really use it enough to warrent the price per month they demand!

on the other hand you can buy a dongle outright usually anywhere upto £100 minus the laptop and pay as you go again still not cheap and guess what STILL CRAPPY BANDWITH!

I would definitely consider looking into coverage even ringing the provider that's responsible for the contract/Dongle access to be sure! otherwise you got one for NOTHING!

my personal view and thoughts of DONGLES ... I HATE THEM!! .. AVOID get proper internet access wherever you can its more reliable its FASTER and its CHEAPER!!!!

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
kobykaan said:
@trolly I would try one out first before parting with cash ...my opinion THEY SUCK!!!

CRAPPY SPEEDS with CRAPPY CONNECTIVITY and holding that connectivity!

they are usually limit capped this includes any videos watched any surfing done and even antivirus updates that can be upto 20mb a time if its updating the program too ...add to this the DONGLE software even wants/needs updating now and then adding to this capped limit!

best bet is to get a laptop with wifi in and find a wifi hotspot they are cheap enough to use for an hour FAR CHEAPER than a CRAPPY DONGLE!

some library's allow free wifi access so long as you don't abuse the traffic used
wink.gif

most companys give a NOT SO FREE laptop to get you to sign up only to realise that your now paying anywhere from £30 - £50 a month for a less than dialup crappy speed and capped from 700mb usage to around 1gb of usage per month for an 18 month contract!

Ask yourself can you justify the price per month for crappy speeds (yeah I like the word crappy!) would you really use it enough to warrent the price per month they demand!

on the other hand you can buy a dongle outright usually anywhere upto £100 minus the laptop and pay as you go again still not cheap and guess what STILL CRAPPY BANDWITH!

I would definitely consider looking into coverage even ringing the provider that's responsible for the contract/Dongle access to be sure! otherwise you got one for NOTHING!

my personal view and thoughts of DONGLES ... I HATE THEM!! .. AVOID get proper internet access wherever you can its more reliable its FASTER and its CHEAPER!!!!

Problem is though is that I'll be living in the holiday camp and while I was on the course I asked if they offered a wifi hotspot and they said no. There's an internet cafe in the town about 5 miles away so I might see if they offer a hotspot for a small fee but I'd still only be able to go once a week. I'm not really too concerned with downloading, more being able to browse and email. I've already checked the coverage and the town and holiday camp are outside 3g coverage and they don't allow you to have a phone line and broadband installed into the chalets, no surprise though really. I'll be visiting my folks once a fortnight or one a month so I can grab all the new stuff that I want. The dongle really would be the only way to guarantee daily net access, which sucks. Of course if I find a wireless connection on the camp I'll find a fugly looking secretary and see if can "talk" the key out of her. heh

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hmm.... interesting.........
well, other than persuading someone within a mile to let you hook up a high gain wifi antenna to their router and roof, along with a similar one your end, your options are not that attractive.
GSM/GPRS is an option, but it is damn slow.
Satellite will work anywhere in the world, its speed is variable, and it is damn expensive.

the is one, other possible option, if you have time, and that is to get a HAM radio license and hook up a packet radio.

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Yeah, EDGE/GPRS is slow as all heck - getting to double modem speeds at the absolute best, about a third of the speed of the slowest third generation mobile broadband connections.

It does do email and (simple) web browsing though, I myself have used it for a few months when I was studying in a city where I didn't have a permanent place to stay. Though, the upgrade to a proper new connection was really worth it.

It's not that bad for the actual connection uptime though - I've done 4 hours easy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night