MMO Giant World of Warcraft might (highly likely) be adding a "cash shop"

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Note: Not linking to the original developer's forum post, but that link is in this source:
:arrow: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/08/blizzard-testing-real-money-shop-for-world-of-warcraft/

WoW developer post said:
We are currently exploring the possibility of adding a way for players in certain regions to make purchases directly within the game. As part of this process, elements related to this will be appearing on the PTR. We’ll provide additional updates on our plans as development progresses.

As much as I hate WoW, I know that it's huge and big to a ton of people. I also know that a ton of those ton of people hate any notion of a cash shop. So this could be interesting....

"Highly Likely" is in the title because that developer already directly said that "elements related to [the cash shop addition] will be appearing on the [public test server]". Every MMO I've played that has had a developer that said that did implement a cash shop eventually, from Everquest 2, Rift, Champions Online, etc, etc.

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I quit WoW with the release of MoP. It became soooo shitty.

WIth this, I won't even consider the chance of coming back.

RIP Blizzard

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
great now players can BUY THEIR way to the top even quicker now! every MMO is always the same whether it be the free shitty ones shat out of korea or the high powered paying ones it's always the same rule: money talks and bullshit walks :creep:

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
People still play this shit? It became a giant pile of horse shit after fucking...Burning Crusades/before Wrath of the Lich King. Glad I stopped playing before either of those came out. And you know, I stopped being 10.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Activision Blizzard, Inc. Enough said.

:rofl2:
You are aware that Activision has nothing to do with WoW right? Blizzard Entertainment (the ones who develop/maintain WoW) is essentially a separate entity from "Activision Blizzard" altogether, just because the two merged =/= Activision runs everything.

tl;dr You're an idiot posting pointless Activision hate and I beg you don't cry. :gun:

Reactions: Gahars and Xuphor

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:rofl2:
You are aware that Activision has nothing to do with WoW right? Blizzard Entertainment (the ones who develop/maintain WoW) is essentially a separate entity from "Activision Blizzard" altogether, just because the two merged =/= Activision runs everything.

tl;dr You're an idiot posting pointless Activision hate and I beg you don't cry. :gun:

Jeez, talk about patronizing. It was just a harmless joke.

Reactions: MountApple

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Get rid of the monthly fee's and do this then I'm all for it. Tons of private servers have a similar system in place to keep the server running and I'm completely fine with people paying to be the best if that makes the server free for the rest of us. If they keep the monthly fee and do this then its just greed and desperation to keep a dieing game afloat.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Note: Not linking to the original developer's forum post, but that link is in this source:
:arrow: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/08/blizzard-testing-real-money-shop-for-world-of-warcraft/

As much as I hate WoW, I know that it's huge and big to a ton of people. I also know that a ton of those ton of people hate any notion of a cash shop. So this could be interesting....

"Highly Likely" is in the title because that developer already directly said that "elements related to [the cash shop addition] will be appearing on the [public test server]". Every MMO I've played that has had a developer that said that did implement a cash shop eventually, from Everquest 2, Rift, Champions Online, etc, etc.
I heard about this, and as of right now they are only testing it for the ability to buy double exp, which at the end of the day makes really no difference as it does not effect endgame. But if they add money/armor/weapons/game changing anythings, then its a game breaker. (I stopped playing wow like 3 months ago)

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's not like you have to buy the money. You can just as well do this already with Chinese and co gold miner companies. "Nothing changes, but the name (and company) receiving the money."

Also: "LOL P2P and P2Win! WOW is really pushing the boundaries of our wallets with their development of the game!"

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's not like you have to buy the money. You can just as well do this already with Chinese and co gold miner companies. "Nothing changes, but the name (and company) receiving the money."

This is very true. I won't lie. I've bought gold in WoW. I'd rather pay my money to Blizzard and have a guaranteed transaction than to an unknown Chinese gold farmer.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. I mean.. if it's not drop gear... than does it really matter?

Ooh! I can by a mount for 5 bucks instead of grinding 200 gold! I'd rather do that.... Instead of "Ooh.. pay 10 bucks to some random person to get my 200 gold to by a mount*

It's really the -same- thing.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
great now players can BUY THEIR way to the top even quicker now! every MMO is always the same whether it be the free shitty ones shat out of korea or the high powered paying ones it's always the same rule: money talks and bullshit walks :creep:

Is this such a bad thing? I assume others will still be able to compete by putting the time in and I doubt Blizzard will make it a pay to win/two tier game.

Also is having an alternative revenue source also such a bad thing?

Re: the private servers having paid items. Almost by definition is that paid piracy?

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's a good and a bad side to this. The good one is that new players will actually be able to catch up with the "No Lifes" who usually spoil the game with their far superior gear going on random raids just to kill newbie characters for the lulz (and that's not to devaluate their superior gear - they earned it fair and square but it's just no fun getting killed all the time just because you're "new", plus your "new" status never really expires because nobody will convince me that you can just "catch up" in a reasonable amount of time).

On the other hand though, if you want to introduce microtransactions, get rid of the subscription fee - you can't have both.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: