MMO Giant World of Warcraft might (highly likely) be adding a "cash shop"

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Xuphor, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Xuphor
    OP

Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Note: Not linking to the original developer's forum post, but that link is in this source:
    :arrow: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/08/blizzard-testing-real-money-shop-for-world-of-warcraft/

As much as I hate WoW, I know that it's huge and big to a ton of people. I also know that a ton of those ton of people hate any notion of a cash shop. So this could be interesting....

"Highly Likely" is in the title because that developer already directly said that "elements related to [the cash shop addition] will be appearing on the [public test server]". Every MMO I've played that has had a developer that said that did implement a cash shop eventually, from Everquest 2, Rift, Champions Online, etc, etc.

2. IBNobody

IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High
    This isn't surprising... Remember Blizzard created the RMAH for Diablo 3.

3. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    I feel like I remember that being a disaster from day one.

4. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    I quit WoW with the release of MoP. It became soooo shitty.

WIth this, I won't even consider the chance of coming back.

RIP Blizzard

5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    great now players can BUY THEIR way to the top even quicker now! every MMO is always the same whether it be the free shitty ones shat out of korea or the high powered paying ones it's always the same rule: money talks and bullshit walks :creep:

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    People still play this shit? It became a giant pile of horse shit after fucking...Burning Crusades/before Wrath of the Lich King. Glad I stopped playing before either of those came out. And you know, I stopped being 10.

7. Rockhoundhigh

Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    Southern California
    Activision Blizzard, Inc. Enough said.

8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    :rofl2:
    You are aware that Activision has nothing to do with WoW right? Blizzard Entertainment (the ones who develop/maintain WoW) is essentially a separate entity from "Activision Blizzard" altogether, just because the two merged =/= Activision runs everything.

tl;dr You're an idiot posting pointless Activision hate and I beg you don't cry. :gun:

Gahars and Xuphor like this.
  9. Rockhoundhigh

Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    Southern California
    Jeez, talk about patronizing. It was just a harmless joke.

MountApple likes this.
  10. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    Is the game still subscription based?
    I got sick of it at Burning Crusade. If I ever even consider looking back at it, I just remember Guild Wars 2. :)

11. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    So they're still charging that exorbitant subscription fee and pushing forward a cash shop?

Now that's what I call double dipping.

Tom Bombadildo likes this.
  12. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    Get rid of the monthly fee's and do this then I'm all for it. Tons of private servers have a similar system in place to keep the server running and I'm completely fine with people paying to be the best if that makes the server free for the rest of us. If they keep the monthly fee and do this then its just greed and desperation to keep a dieing game afloat.

13. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I heard about this, and as of right now they are only testing it for the ability to buy double exp, which at the end of the day makes really no difference as it does not effect endgame. But if they add money/armor/weapons/game changing anythings, then its a game breaker. (I stopped playing wow like 3 months ago)

14. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    It's not like you have to buy the money. You can just as well do this already with Chinese and co gold miner companies. "Nothing changes, but the name (and company) receiving the money."

Also: "LOL P2P and P2Win! WOW is really pushing the boundaries of our wallets with their development of the game!"

15. IBNobody

IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High

This is very true. I won't lie. I've bought gold in WoW. I'd rather pay my money to Blizzard and have a guaranteed transaction than to an unknown Chinese gold farmer.

16. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Yeah. I mean.. if it's not drop gear... than does it really matter?

Ooh! I can by a mount for 5 bucks instead of grinding 200 gold! I'd rather do that.... Instead of "Ooh.. pay 10 bucks to some random person to get my 200 gold to by a mount*

It's really the -same- thing.

17. gokujr1000

gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 10, 2008
    Gallifrey
    Nek minnut f2p

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Is this such a bad thing? I assume others will still be able to compete by putting the time in and I doubt Blizzard will make it a pay to win/two tier game.

Also is having an alternative revenue source also such a bad thing?

Re: the private servers having paid items. Almost by definition is that paid piracy?

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  19. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I'm surprised this hasn't happened before now.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    There's a good and a bad side to this. The good one is that new players will actually be able to catch up with the "No Lifes" who usually spoil the game with their far superior gear going on random raids just to kill newbie characters for the lulz (and that's not to devaluate their superior gear - they earned it fair and square but it's just no fun getting killed all the time just because you're "new", plus your "new" status never really expires because nobody will convince me that you can just "catch up" in a reasonable amount of time).

On the other hand though, if you want to introduce microtransactions, get rid of the subscription fee - you can't have both.

EZ-Megaman likes this.