Jul 12, 2010

MMBN series by Greatforce at 8:04 PM (1,113 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Greatforce
    OP

Member Greatforce GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    id like to know some opinions about this game serie, is it worth playing, what is the story behind it etc.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    In my opinion it is one of the best game franchises on the GBA- however the 6 (arguably 8) games not including the various versions (usually nearly identical rather than the likes of demi kids which were two different games using the same engine) for some of those entries did little to improve the series as a whole (a review I once read gave a score but added to take one point for every previous game you played in the series).

It is an RPG but rather than turn based it uses a grid based battle that conducts itself in real time giving a choice of a few random attacks every few seconds, trying to explain it is hard so I will just link up a video instead or you can just play it:

Storywise it is megaman but rather than robots per se you have networks- you go into the "net" or various machines to do things there and try to influence things in the real world "a computer locking a door might get a virus- defeating the virus unlocks the door). While there are a few references here and there no game in the series assumes any knowledge of the previous titles. I have certainly seen better stories but I have had worse inflicted upon me too.

If you have a DS I would instead suggest you get a copy of megaman battle network 5 for that (it was a port of the GBA versions) as the touchscreen and map do make it quite a bit better in some regards.

3. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    Great series though some are better than others in the set. My favorite was MMBN2 which I put in over 100hrs (timer stopped at 99.99).
    Definatley worth a try.

4. Greatforce
    OP

Netherlands
    Sounds cool, When i am buying the SCDS2 this will be a title on it. Another question, does this game unlocks various things after completing it, unlike most other games?

5. Greatforce
    OP

Netherlands
  6. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    Yes you get a star for each completion (up to 4 or 5 stars), extra weapons, EX bosses (much harder than normal bosses) and in some the real final boss only appears after finishing it once and getting all power ups and defeating all EX bosses etc.
    For the money these games probably have the most content on GBA, next to some of the other RPGs and Tactics games.

7. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    The series is great, but i'd personally avoid at least MMBN4 if i were you. Of the entire series, that one is the most disjointed and uninteresting of the bunch. Very unbalanced experience. I feel the developers might have tried too hard to introduce way too many new ideas without letting them cook long enough and perfect them. The story is a scrambled mixed up mess and has too many plotlines, none of which feel well developed or natural. The gameplay had some good ideas with the darkchips, but the dungeon design is now garbage and the bosses were extremely uninteresting and uninspired for a Megaman game. I'd avoid BN4, i disliked it and most people share that opinion. Try it if you like though.

Of the rest though, they're mostly great, each having at least some very good aspect to them. 2 and 3 are the best of the series, 6 being a close third and great as well. Number 1 was a good introduction to the series and you may want to play it first so the rest don't overwhelm the experience for you. 1 is good, but the rest will put it to shame and make it seem a lot more dated. I started with 1 and moved upwards, best way to play the series IMO.

5 is hard for me to recommend or deny. It implemented a new system called liberation missions which are grid based strategy RPG portions with real time battles. It already takes a spectacular strategy RPG to interest me, and the missions here did me no favors. I disliked them immensely. It's a shame, i really disliked the lib missions, but the rest of the game is on par with the best of the series. The story of 5 is great and the gameplay is great as well. Just those damn liberation missions have to spoil my fun... I'll concede i don't always like strategy RPG's unless they're really great, but these were really horrible in my opinion.

I'm not too familiar with Battle Chip Challenge or 4.5 Real Operation. 4.5RO never got released in the US and there's no translation patch. BCC is a kind of automated card battling game. Not real time action RPG like the others and with no serious story. I'd stick with the main series. 4.5 looked interesting though, shame it never got released overseas...