RELEASE MM-LINX - Super Mario Maker 2 Level Injector

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by blawar, Jul 1, 2019.

1. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no thanks, I don't want a custom title

Jul 20, 2016
    Japan
    You guys are playing a dangerous game here. If a user knows how to patch their own binaries, then they're probably experienced enough to deal with issues. But by providing a pre-patched binary of a closed source project, you're poking a very deadly bear.

EDIT: To be clear here, I'm not agreeing with Blawar's decision to keep the project closed-source, and I don't agree with the CFW choice strong-arming, but it is his right to do what he wants with his creation, and providing unofficial binaries of his software to inexperienced users is a terrible, terrible idea.

Last edited by OkazakiTheOtaku, Jul 12, 2019
  2. gamemasteru03

gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    Well a few users and I have already tested these patches and they work fine. You can also create the modded nro your self using the instructions. Also if you dont feel comfortable with using the modded nro you can just use the reinx spoofer kip. Also I dont really see anything bad happening as long as a few advanced users and I test it before we release it.

3. palantine

palantine GBAtemp Regular

Oct 5, 2014
    Italy
    Honestly what is so difficult about running the firmware these things were designed for? Just like with delta launch people decide they want to rip off people's hard work so they can run it on their meme atmoshit.

4. chaoskagami

chaoskagami G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Probably because ReiNX is the meme - half of the code is composed of upstream code from atmosphere's repo, and he doesn't properly keep commit messages. Aside from that, the ReiNX-specific APIs at this point amount to a DRM check and no actual functionality. I can understand why someone would have used ReiNX before Atmosphere's fusee-primary was ready, but there's little to no point now.

5. blawar
    OP

blawar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    What he is implying, is that I could get annoyed and simply stop development, and there is no source for anyone else to pick up and continue. Additionally this is a cloud app: If I shut off the server the app ceases to function.

He is correct, and I do think it is disrespectful. However, I am not a hypocrite to complain about such things. I am actually flattered that he deems the app worthy of his time to crack it. I also get excited at challenges, while it is impossible to have perfect security on an pwned system, the cat and mouse game is still entertaining and makes me a better programmer in the process.

Last edited by blawar, Jul 12, 2019
  6. gamemasteru03

gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    Well first off atmosphere has features such as emunand, cheats, and crash to reboot which reinx lacks. You could get most of these features by paying for sx but some people dont want to pay for that just to use this app. Also I wouldn't consider changing 0.01 (probably even less) of a program ripping of someones work. Its more just making a very smal modification to it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oh well in that case he already said that he wont make a crack for the next version so I imagine that you could easily patch the crack in the next version if you wish. I also just edited the post to give credit for you developing the app.

Last edited by gamemasteru03, Jul 12, 2019
  7. FuzzyDunlop

FuzzyDunlop Member

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2012
    United States
    Are the levels on the injector automatically uploaded from the game or does someone have to manually update the list?

8. SG911

SG911 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 20, 2017
    United States
    Bronx, NY
    This is cool. So with this, can you download even the latest stages created? Ones uploaded daily, & say ones made for youtubers etc?

9. DuveltjeDG

DuveltjeDG Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2019
    Netherlands
    Atmosphere is the founder of the CFW and works perfectly fine. Kosmos expands some functionality together with Hekate as payload. I only used atmosphere as vanilla as possible with just only the ES and FS patches provided. Because I liked MX LINX for his functionality I went over to use Kosmos, Hekate, Atmosphere with the ES, FS with ACID patches. Even though I did that I couldn't use it offline with the file browser. With the spoofer in place it worked. Now with the modded version of 1.04 it also works. I want to stay offline that simple and don't like ReiNX as CFW. I like the freedom of things and don't want to be pushed towards something I don't want.

Then again a developer is entitled to do whatever he wants. But I also think that that this gets allot of bad attention. It's a great app with allot of potential, it does what we all want, UPLOAD SMM2 STAGES :toot:

ryanstein likes this.
  10. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    This sounds entirely reasonable coming from Mr The Only Reason Anyone Recognises My Name Is Because I Stole A CFW.

11. blawar
    OP

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    ReiNX existed months before atmosphere, and was wildly popular. The name is also recognizable for 3DS CFW.

Scires has done a lot of great things for the scene, and is a talented hacker. However this does not give him a blank check to consistently make mistakes with atmosphere and not have people switch to better CFW's. Atmosphere has a lot of issues, and unfortunately a lot of that cancer gets forced into other CFW's by users. Scires is not a good person to be maintaining a popular project such as atmosphere.

DuveltjeDG likes this.
  12. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Addict

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    Care to elaborate? What mistakes and what do the other make better in their CFW? I thought it was all just atmosphere with another layout.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

gamemasteru03 likes this.
  13. DuveltjeDG

DuveltjeDG Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2019
    Netherlands
    I will use whatever suits best for my needs and hope that I can get the best of every dev out there. I’m not interested in who’s got the longest. Just good homebrew and CFW features that I need. Everybody does something good for the scene. This whole thread is full of hate against different developers. That’s a shame because everybody does what they do best, DEVELOP!

Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming. Without allot of DRM:hrth:

14. blawar
    OP

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    A great example would be scires poor implementation of nand write protection to protect users from malicious homebrew. He did not block all nand writes, only some of them. He bricked a lot of people when he released that and choi only wrote to half of the nand. Rather than remove the bad feature, he double downed and added a hack to AMS whose sole purpose was to stop existing choi from bricking (he did nothing to solve the underlying problem, it was just a stop gap). So then choi updates to not brick users to work around scires' bad programming. What does choi do? Well scires had the brilliant idea to use empty file flags on the SD card to determine if an application should have permission to write to the nand. It is meant for users to manually crate these flags, however scires did not prevent applications from doing so, so choi simply writes its own bis_write flag to give itself write permission to the nand. That is right, homebrew casn trivally bypass scires entire weak nand protection scheme by writing an empty file first. You dont have to be a programmer to know why scires idea is completely stupid, and he basically bricked a bunch of users for nothing. To this day, he has not removed this aweful code from his code base. Bad decisions like this permeate throughout atmosphere's code because scires is a good hacker, but a terrible programmer. It is easy to break things down and hack them. It is much harder to create new things that are great.

naddel81 and TylerSGman like this.
  15. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I wasn't talking about reinx, I was talking about what was commonly known as the palantine cfw for 3ds. Maybe you weren't around for that.

You're entitled to this opinion, and you can spew it wherever you want, but trying to, your word, enforce use of other cfws by happy atmosphere users who don't share your opinion is antisocial at best.

gamemasteru03 likes this.
  16. blawar
    OP

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    The most toxic anti-social people in the scene, are Scires / Re-Switched by miles. They have the reputation of labeling apps piracy and refusing to troubleshoot any AMS issues affecting them, they ban hoards of people for innocuous statements. Some times they ban people who dont violate the rules, just because they do not like them politically. Reswitched is the primary source of political discord in the scene, most of the big issues are caused or catalyzed by them. This behavior is directly responsible for why the scene was fragmented early on, and continues to be fragmented.

There is a lot I can be criticized about, however I have never taken adverse action against software without trying to work out the issue with the developers first. Kosmos was a great example, I tried to work that out with Team Atlas for a month before I implemented the block, and I agreed to remove the block once the issue was fixed (and it was). Scires / Re-switched are just political hacks / drama factories.

17. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    lol.

If by "trying to work out the issue" you mean demanding they do it your way and going batshit when they refuse.

18. blawar
    OP

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    Incorrect, the negotiations were for them to simply add a way for me to detect if they had loaded ACID patches. I wasnt forcing them to add acid patches, I just wanted a way to block them if they did not chainload fusee primary as features wouldnt work. The problem was installs silently failing due to missing ACID patches, and I needed a way for the user to know they would fail.

19. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    You can say "incorrect", but we were all here for the drama and the heavily biased warning messages appearing in your apps and the inconvenienced users with their files deleted without proper information (you STILL refuse to specify exactly what is deleted uninstalled).

20. blawar
    OP

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    2018092415580000-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.
    I diff's the zip files between atmosphere and kosmos, and deleted all files kosmos added that atmosphere does not have.

That "biased" warning message was copied from @WerWolv 's biased fear mongering SX warning screen. You reap what you sow as they say.

Last edited by blawar, Jul 12, 2019
    oji and gizmomelb like this.
  21. hippy dave
    This message by hippy dave has been removed from public view by Joe88, Jul 12, 2019, Reason: Off topic bickering.
    Jul 12, 2019
  22. blawar
    This message by blawar has been removed from public view by Joe88, Jul 12, 2019, Reason: Off topic bickering.
    Jul 12, 2019
  23. hippy dave
    This message by hippy dave has been removed from public view by Joe88, Jul 12, 2019, Reason: Off topic bickering.
    Jul 12, 2019
  24. blawar
    This message by blawar has been removed from public view by Joe88, Jul 12, 2019, Reason: Off topic bickering.
    Jul 12, 2019
  25. hippy dave
    Jul 12, 2019
  26. blawar
    Jul 12, 2019