Hacking MKV support.

Rivaplz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used both the latest version of Media player CE, and Geexbox to try and play my MKV files, but both can't seem to play them smoothly, or at all. About 10 seconds into any MKV file they always begin to skip around and the picture and sound become completely distorted.

Is there any other media player for the wii that is a bit more solid? (I've noticed that both Media playerCE and Geexbox both crash more often than not no matter what type of file you're playing)

telekenetix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have used Geexbox, MPlayer Rodries, and MPlayer CE to play MKV files without a flaw.

I don't know what you're doing wrong...

They do tend to crash and skip randomly though.

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France
telekenetix said:
I have used Geexbox, MPlayer Rodries, and MPlayer CE to play MKV files without a flaw.

720p ones ?

wiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
They're not HD, that's why I don't understand why they're not playing propperly.

It doesn't matter if it's HD or not. If the mkv was encoded with h264 at a high bit rate, and/or if the audio is encoded at very high bit rate, you're going to get performance hit. H264 codec is very processing intensive. You may want to re-encode to a lower bit rate (both audio and video) for the Wii.

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
telekenetix said:

Don't argue for the sake of arguing. Saying you play them without a flaw, then saying they crash and skip randomly makes you contradict yourself in the same post. If they crash and skip then they don't play without a flaw.

WiiNinja answered it the best. As mkv is a container file for multiple encoded files, it can become extremely processor intensive depending on the file types inside. Maybe at some point will it be fixed, but the best bet is to find out what type of video is encoded in them and then re-encode the mkv to that. You might have to extract and merge the proper audio track and subs as well. Not exactly a fun process for an entire collection of anime, but there aren't a ton of options.

Rivaplz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiiman123 said:
Strange not sure.. MKV work fine here with your rare skip here and there.

You can use http://www.autogk.me.uk/index.php to convert to XVID easily. Its free.

That program doesn't seem to support MKV yet, which is a bummer because it's hard to find a decent free converter.
cry.gif

wiiztec

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With MPlayer CE when you skip foward in the video the sound skips forward but the video stays behind it'll work properly if you pause before skipping ahead, MPlayer DVD lib edition skips forward through .mkv's perfectly it also has better .flv support but it doesn't support SDHC

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
THIS IS AN UNOFFICIAL BUILD

and it ACTUALLY WORKS UNLIKE THE OFFICIAL ONES THIS WILL WORK WITH EVEN PARTITIONS OF AN EXTERNAL HDD!

I HAVE A WHOLE COLLECTION OF FUTURAMA MKV FILES I PLAY USING THIS HACKED UP BUILD
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Formats Supported:

MPEG/VOB, AVI, Ogg/OGM, VIVO, ASF/WMA/WMV, QT/MOV/MP4, RealMedia, Matroska (mkv) popular for blu-ray rips, NUT, NuppelVideo, FLI, YUV4MPEG, FILM, RoQ, PVA files, supported by many native, XAnim, and Win32 DLL codecs. You can watch VideoCD, SVCD, DVD, 3ivx, DivX 3/4/5, WMV and even H.264 movies.

Install Info:

Simply place the apps,wad and geexbox folders included in the Zip archive on your SD cards root directory and then load wad manager intall GeeXbox.wad and launch the channel
Note:
(it may freeze up on the very first run of any given format its a common bug, but after its run that type of file at least one time it will remember and work perfectly as you can see )

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?iynnmmo5j5n

Rivaplz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, that version of Geexbox is even more unstable than the official releases. It played my MKVs in super fast speed and some AVIs all jittery. Didn't work at all for me. So far the best program I've found for wii is Media Player CE, which of course wont play the MKVs I have. Thanks for the tip though.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
sounds like you need to re-do those mkv files
wink.gif
because i have over 50 that work fine
wink.gif
try making them with another app or using different properties but to be honest its MUCH LESS PAINFUL to just convert the files to a better codec/format like AVI..ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE THAT BAD! lol

Rivaplz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vettacossx said:
sounds like you need to re-do those mkv files
wink.gif
because i have over 50 that work fine
wink.gif
try making them with another app or using different properties but to be honest its MUCH LESS PAINFUL to just convert the files to a better codec/format like AVI..ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE THAT BAD! lol

Not all MKVs are created equally of course... These ones play flawlessly on my PC and I will convert them to AVI if I don't find a better solution.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah there prob HD mkvs bro
frown.gif
the wii atm can play alot of MKV files but the real high def ones can be a pain in the ass.. They just play smoother in AVI it seems.
tongue.gif
The version of geexbox i posted is made specifically to increase external usb support but for the record i can play futurama seasons 1 and 2 in mkv with no skips at all so it may be worth lowering the properties or splitting the videos into parts... good luck though!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM