MKV lags >.<

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by da_head, Jun 9, 2008.

Jun 9, 2008

MKV lags >.< by da_head at 12:45 AM (3,701 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. da_head
    OP

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    Ok guys. my laptop has an intel centrino 1.7ghz, 512mb ddr2 ram. should i be able to run mkv fine? if so, why does it lag (like every minute the video freezes).
    i use vlc media player. is there a better player out there, or is my computer just too slow to run mkv properly?

2. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
  3. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Is it HD? I have a similiarly speced laptop, and 720 mkvs do lag.

4. da_head
    OP

Canada
    hm i'm not sure how to tell if it's hd or not.

Posts merged

thanks urza. i'll check this out.

5. fischju

United States
    What player are you using now?

6. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    when i play a HD video it lags or is showed up garbled and i only hear sound will that codec pack fix that ?

7. da_head
    OP

Canada
    vlc media player.

8. Giga_Gaia

Member Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Canada
    video in h264/x264 take more power than XviD. Also, if it's a 720p video, your laptop is far too weak to play it correctly (this apply more to 1080p too).

9. da_head
    OP

Canada
    guys. i dled the codec pack urza told me to. even though i didn't understand what the settings were asking of me, i kept pressing ok, and i opened the mkv with media player classic, and it ran FLAWLESSLY.

thank u urza [​IMG]

10. fischju

United States
    Update your codecs and try Media Player Classic - if that doesn't work, make sure you don't have the CPU underclocked to save power - if that doesn't work, either give up or spend 8-12 hours reencoding to xvid

11. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Should I uninstall my Kazaa Lite Codec Pack Full and use this instead?

12. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    It's up to you really. The K-Lite pack and this have pretty much the same things in them. I watch all kinds of just released subtitled anime, and I've never had a problem with K-lite. For the record, I did have some weird video artifacts on H264 codec videos when using CCCP when I had tried it out. Switching back to K-lite fixed this for me. I suppose it could have just been that particular version of FFDShow, but, just putting that out there.

13. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Yes.

14. Commander

Member Commander GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You PC is a little under powered especially if you playing 720+ MKVs.
    Using a lightweight video player such as Media Player Classic will help free up resources for your video, CCCP contains everything you need. But I still recommend using a more powerful computer or watch AVIs.

~ Commander

15. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I have a question regarding MKVs...

My laptop is as follows (Acer Aspire 5022):
    - AMD Turion 64 1.6 GHz
    - 1 GB ram
    - ATI Radeon X700 Mobility

I can't seem to be able to play HD videos at all, they lag quite bad... and I'm talking about HD streaming, divx HD, MKV 720p, etc.
    is there any codec I should try?

My friend has a less powerful computer (apparently) but he can play HD just fine [​IMG]
    I don't know his specs but it's an old IBM PC with 512 MB ram... we always wondered why he can play them and I can't...

16. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I will echo the "too slow" comments but there are some things you can do.

@GexX2 make sure you turn off postprocessing as H264 tends to have it built in which means postprocessing on top of postprocessing and then artifacts and the like. Also check the output colourspaces and your graphics drivers (both nvidia and ATI have messed these up on more than one occasion).
    @op and others likewise you can reduce or stop postprocessing (ffdshow has it in the codecs section when you select h264).

CCCP uses FFDshow last I checked which is great but speed can be improved. The main two "fast software decoders" are coreavc and soon to be the divx (as in the codec) people's Project RĂ©moulade (now in closed beta).
    http://labs.divx.com/ProjectRemoulade
    You pay for coreavc but it is quite nice. Some graphics cards companies also decode h264 via hardware but you can run into some problems there (lack of support for higher levels/profiles mainly but modern drivers should be OK).

My personal opinion of klite is not very high (too much overlap and not very well configured), the only downside to cccp I found is the less than optimal encoding parts (which they have repeatedly said is not their goal) but if you managed to work out how to encode video you should know enough to sort it out anyhow (avisynth+megui is my choice).

The other argument is you download a linux livecd, I was messing with linux mint the other day (I will call it ubuntu/debian with all the nice stuff like decent drivers and multimedia decoding) and it worked a charm on a laptop that would normally struggle (90% cpu struggle) without the paid stuff. As it is a livecd (with decent NTFS support: remember to eject/shut down properly or use face using sudo commands in linux) you can watch your videos and then return like nothing ever happened.
    Grab it here (I suggest the xfce version for stuff like this):
    http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_xfce_b8.php

17. Commander

Member Commander GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Are you sure he isn't just lieing?

In any case as Urza suggested earlier install the CCCP it contains all the codecs aswell has 2 media players, Media Player Classic is a very lightweight video player, this will free up resources for you system, hopefully allowing videos to run better.

~ Commander

18. Costello

No, no, he isn't lying! [​IMG]
    He's my room mate and when we watch movies together, we watch them on his PC because it can play HD, while mine cannot.

I'm buying a new laptop next anyway...

19. Yugge

Member Yugge GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
  20. Costello

[​IMG] ^
    I downloaded the GUI version, opened it, clicked on the window.. and it crashed. yay!
    I'm gonna give it another try, but meh...

--
    edit: okay, I've just tried it, and no luck.
    It seems to be using ffdshow anyway, like my other playback programs (I normally use MPC)
    And it's still laggy and slow. The fps is low, the audio gets desync after a couple of seconds.
    All the filters and post processing options in ffdshow are disabled.