ROM Hack MK7 - where are the Shy Guy sounds in romfs?

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all

I'm doing a MK7 ROM hack to replace the princesses with shy guys. Replacing the character models were easy enough, I just replaced the files in the ds, pc and rs folders in the Driver folder with the ones from the sh folder. I now want to replace the voices. I'm assuming that the files beginning GRP_VO_ in the Sound/extData folder are the character voices, as the filenames correspond to the characters. However, the Shy Guy doesn't have a voice file here. I'm fairly sure I remember the Shy Guy making some sounds as they overtook or whatever, and I'd like to use these to replace the voices of those bitchy princesses. So, does anyone know where I can find these files in the romfs? Alternatively, if I just replace the princess voice files with empty files, will the game still work?

Thanks in advance!

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all

I'm doing a MK7 ROM hack to replace the princesses with shy guys. Replacing the character models were easy enough, I just replaced the files in the ds, pc and rs folders in the Driver folder with the ones from the sh folder. I now want to replace the voices. I'm assuming that the files beginning GRP_VO_ in the Sound/extData folder are the character voices, as the filenames correspond to the characters. However, the Shy Guy doesn't have a voice file here. I'm fairly sure I remember the Shy Guy making some sounds as they overtook or whatever, and I'd like to use these to replace the voices of those bitchy princesses. So, does anyone know where I can find these files in the romfs? Alternatively, if I just replace the princess voice files with empty files, will the game still work?

Thanks in advance!
Maybe you can try to replace the voices from peach using voice samples from Mario Kart DS, assuming you can extract and encode the sounds in the same format?

EdwardElric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as I know about hacking this game and every file from top to bottom, I do not know about the Shy Guy voices. @PabloMK7 Should be able to help you. (He is a MK7 hacking wizard.)

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@VinsCool
Good idea. I'm about to try to build a new romfs with zero byte files to replace them. I don't care about silent Shy Guys, I just want to get rid of those fucking princesses. If it comes to it, I'll try extracting the files and replacing them, but I'd rather not have to get into that especially as most of the tools seem to be Windows only!

@EdwardElric
Thanks for tagging Pablo. Hopefully he'll know if the samples are available somewhere.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, it worked :D Those smug princesses have been replaced with silent Shy Guys. They still show up as the princesses in the menus and on the map on the bottom screen, but the drivers themselves now show as Shy Guys :D Is it worth releasing this? If so, how would I do it? Just upload the romfs to the iso site?

Reactions: ihaveahax

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
AFAIK, they are inside the bcsar. You can still get shy guy sounds from other place. The only way I know to replace files in a bcgrp, is by hex editing or making a new one with NW4C. First method only allows you to use smaller or same lenght files tho.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: