Gaming Miyamoto's "never seen" Ratchet and Clank

TGBoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Insomniac Games said a while back that it was "flattered" that the spherical worlds of Mario Galaxy were inspired by Ratchet and Clank. But Miyamoto says he's never heard of it.

Source

ouch!

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Insomniac got served HARD!

bow.gif
at Miyamoto-sama.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Yeah, you know, I believe him. The tiny planets of SMG remind me much more of the tiny planets in "The Little Prince". First thing that came to mind when I saw the game.

I think Insomniac PR is just trying to swing some attention their way, by exploiting Mario Galaxy's popularity.

"Are we going to go as far as to claim they ripped us off? No, let's go for the quiet smug approach. Let's not say we feel ripped off, let's say we feel, oh, I dunno, what would be most patronizing? "We're flattered that SMG was inspired by our game. Little Prince? What about it? As if SMG levels could have been inspired by that. It's a book, for crying out loud."

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I saw a lot of Sony fanboys complaining about this one.. oh boy..

But, Ratchet and Clank is not very famous outside of the US, well.. even in the US, you can't compare it to something like Mario or Halo, I'm not saying it's a bad game (I never played it, so I really can't say).. it's just not a big name.. and at Miyamoto's age I don't think that he has time to play video games anymore.. I'm not surprised at all by what he said.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I only played Size Matters, but from what I've played, the R&C devs shouldn't dare try and think their game could inspire anything else than violent stomach upsettings.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firefox crashes everytime i click the source.
But from your post, i think that it is unbelievable, Miyamoto lives in japan where Sony gets most of its profit and he has never heard of Ratchet and Clank.

TGBoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Firefox crashes everytime i click the source.
But from your post, i think that it is unbelievable, Miyamoto lives in japan where Sony gets most of its profit and he has never heard of Ratchet and Clank.
This is wat Miyamoto said:

Official Nintendo Magazine UK asked the father of Mario what he thought about Insomiac's comments in a recent interview, to be published in the next issue (Issue 25). But instead of acknowledging Insomniac's work, he asked: "Is it a PC game?"

Miyamoto said he was "surprised" by Insomniac's comment. "In terms of the spherical worlds and anti-gravity," he went on to explain, "we had the original idea as soon as we finished the development of Mario 64 and had been experimenting with it for many years, even on the N64."

"It's not an idea we got from anywhere else," adds Miyamoto, before adding: "I'm sorry but I have to admit that I've never seen the game in question. Is it a PC game?"

Miyamoto learns from no-one.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Well this is just a publicity stunt and may even be a dig towards sonyÂ
wink.gif
of course he has heard of it.

I'm not going to lie, up until the big hubabaloo about Ratchet & Clank for the PS3 I had barely heard of it. Hell, I often thought it and Jak & Daxter were the same thing. Obviously that's no longer the case, but a year or two ago... well, as you can see, it is very possible to know little to nothing about the game.
tongue.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

bow.gif
at Miyamoto-sama.

laugh.gif

Yeah. I think Galaxy's director even said that it was an idea he had been toying with since before the release of Sunshine.

But to TGBoy's comment, I wouldn't say Miyamoto learns from no one...he'd probably be the first to tell you the opposite is true. He's even said so in so many words, claiming to take inspiration from everything.

TGBoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

bow.gif
at Miyamoto-sama.

laugh.gif

Yeah. I think Galaxy's director even said that it was an idea he had been toying with since before the release of Sunshine.

But to TGBoy's comment, I wouldn't say Miyamoto learns from no one...he'd probably be the first to tell you the opposite is true. He's even said so in so many words, claiming to take inspiration from everything.

Hehe. I didnt say tat. I just posted the article for awdofgum. The article said tat.
wink.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
YoshiGoRound.gif

insomniac's comment was a joke, ratchet and clank is like an even worse version of what happened to jak and daxter, I actually kinda despise ratchet and clank, I think it's part of the reason today "3d platformer" = "running and shooting + occasional jump lawl"

serious_sean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
relative gravity has been around forever. Some sections mario galaxy are almost exactly like like gravity man's mega man 5. Look here:
grav.gif

the arrows indicate the change in gravity.

Mario Galaxy hasn't really introduced any unique concepts, but it probably isn't ripping off Mega Man 5 or Ratchet and Clank.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YoshiGoRound.gif

insomniac's comment was a joke, ratchet and clank is like an even worse version of what happened to jak and daxter, I actually kinda despise ratchet and clank, I think it's part of the reason today "3d platformer" = "running and shooting + occasional jump lawl"
You're right.

I don't really mind those two games, I've played most of them just for something to play. They're nothing special just one of those games Sony fanboys go crazy about and the PSwhatever magazines/sites overrate.

I wonder where ZeWarriorReturns is?

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Aye, gravity-based games have been around for ages.

135867_full.jpg

^That's a Pink Panther GBA game. Just another crappy production of the shovelware era, and even it has it. Mario Galaxy didn't do it first by any means. It just did it best.
happy.gif

I wonder where ZeWarriorReturns is?

Ze is a changed man, he no longer feels the need to snap at people's negative opinions of such things.
lecture.gif

serious_sean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I didn't mention metal storm earlier because in Metal Storm, you change the gravity of your own volition. In Mega Man, like Mario, you are moving through zones of independent gravity.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @NinStar I like it gentle, then rough, then gentle again. Then I nap. +1