Miyamoto: Virtual Boy Games on 3DS Could Happen

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by SamAsh07, Jun 18, 2011.

Jun 18, 2011
  1. SamAsh07
    OP

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    [​IMG]

Late last year, Reggie Fils-Aime invited Virtual Boy fans to speak up if they wanted Virtual Boy games on the 3DS, and lately the question came up again, this time pitched to Shigeru Miyamoto.

GameSpot asked Miyamoto-san if there was interest in bringing Virtual Boy games to 3DS, to which the great man replied:

Well, that's not my exact plan, but something like that could happen. I can say that in my photo album on my Nintendo 3DS, there is a photo of a Virtual Boy. So that says that I do have a Virtual Boy at my disposal. [laughs]

Virtual Boy games would be a good fit for the 3DS eShop of course, but as only 14 games were ever released in the West — none of which in Europe — it's uncertain whether Nintendo would considers the effort required to make it a reality worth its while.

If the Virtual Boy is new to you, be sure to read our Feature: The Making of the Nintendo Virtual Boy and check out our complete list of Virtual Boy reviews.

How would you like to see Virtual Boy games come to 3DS?[/p]

[​IMG] Source

2. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    I'd be all for playing wario on the 3ds, in b/w though, red would be bad for the eyes, also nobody should get any re-colouring ideas in their heads.

3. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    oh no fuck hell no the headaches will be bad enough for peeps in normal 3d without this?!?! [​IMG]

4. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    My eyes are bleeding at the sheer thought of this.

5. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    So long as you aren't forced to view them in red.
    This is the one time that faithful recreation of something would be bad, greyscale emulation would be welcomed instead.

But there's only a few Virtual Boy games worth porting any how, like Wario Land, Mario Clash, Tennis, Golf, Tetris?
    Maybe even only the first two I mentioned.

6. ChaosZero816

Member ChaosZero816 Temp's Official Random Member

Philippines
    No. Just no.

A re-color or remake maybe. If it were the original version, I would be crying bloody tears at this thought alone.

7. spinal_cord

United Kingdom
    Do ANY of the people who are saying about virtualboy headaches actually own a virtualboy? or are you all just regurgitating other peoples comments?

The headaches were because of the hardware not the software. It used a single pixel led row and used mirrors to use it to draw the whole screen. The refresh rate of this was probably terrible. You wouldn't get that on a full LCD screen.

8. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    I never owned a Virtual Boy but all those whining peeps make me curious.

9. Recorderdude

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    personally, I'd be all for it if they used the calmer bluish-purple color scheme the emulator VBJin uses (due to having red/cyan images for red/cyan glasses) even if not required, it would be easier on the eyes, and wouldn't require an entire recoloring.

Recoloring is cool as well, but I sincerely doubt they'd go that far for a failed console.

I love virtual boy...when I'm not playing it on the real thing. This is coming from a guy who can't stand 3DS 3D for more than 15 minutes. Red/Cyan 3D is fine though.

10. spinal_cord

United Kingdom
    You wouldn't need red/cyan on the 3DS, it's in real 3D [​IMG]

Grey would be the best option I think.

11. Lube_Skyballer

Member Lube_Skyballer GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Lol. People are complaining about headaches while playing the 3DS with 3D turned on. Oh, if they would ever played the virtual boy, that thing takes headaches and eye strain to a whole new level. The 3DS is soft for the eyes compared to the VB

12. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    YES! Ive always wanted to try the Vritual Boy! Screw you whiny pussies and your 'headaches'. No one said you had to buy the software. Don't ruin it for everyone else!

13. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    Virtual boy headaches are the real deal, you thought the 3D sweetspot for the 3DS was delicate? Try having your neck bent forward to look into the virtual boy and staring at that red screen.

I've had the privilege of actually playing one, and they really do mess with your eyes.

14. Giga_Gaia

Member Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Canada
    You barely release one or two releases a week and you're planning to add a new category? You got to be kidding me.

There is also a very good reason why virtual boy was a colossal failure: It was probably the worse garbage ever released. What died an early and swift death should remain dead for good.

15. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    That could be nice.

They should tone down the red if they do it.

16. Walrus-Chan

Member Walrus-Chan Advanced Member

United States
    I played a friends virtual boy a few times as a kid and I only really ever started getting a headache from it after a half hour or so. Good times

17. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    there's only 14 games for the damn thing ever made anyway and only about 3 worth playing! [​IMG]

18. MEGAMANTROTSKY

Member MEGAMANTROTSKY GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Nice question, GameSpot. You might as well ask if Nintendo should bring mashed sawbristles and cancer to the 3DS.

19. spinal_cord

United Kingdom
    Well I say bring every single virtualboy game to the 3DS, if you don't like them just don't download them, it's that simple. You don't see me campaigning about how bad gameboy mario bros was and that it should never have been made available for the 3DS, no, I just didn't buy it, simple.

20. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    Dude, there's a couple of games that got dragged down by the virtual boy, mainly Wario Land.
    This would be that game's chance to finally be appreciated by a wide audience.