OP
Trophies
Website
compfaqz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
India
wiiuconsole3.jpg

Shigeru Miyamoto has revealed that Nintendo’s forthcoming Wii U console won’t be that much more powerful than existing consoles on the market, such as Sony’s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft’s Xbox 360. The reasoning behind this is due to cost, as Nintendo want to make a machine that powerful, yet affordable to consumers. Has Nintendo made a mistake doing this, or is this the logical thing to do?[/p]

QUOTE said:
“When you look at what we’re trying to do this time, which is I think maybe to a certain degree somewhat reckless, because we’re trying to include this somewhat kind of tablet-like device – this controller with the screen,” said the producer.

“We’re trying to do that by finding the right balance between the CPU and the GPU, the graphics processor, and bringing all of that together with the ability to take advantage of the HD capabilities of the system, and wanting to do the most that we can on that front as well.

“We’re very sensitive, of course, to trying to do all of this at an appropriate price. So I don’t know that we would be able to sit here and say that it’s going to necessarily dramatically outperform the systems that are out now. It’s part of the balance that we strike in terms of trying to find entertainment that is new and unique.”

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Zekrom_cool said:
CrimzonEyed said:
Makes sense, and why do we need better graphic if it already have better graphic than PS3?
Graphics is not the only way to measure a console's capability.
I know, I have never been a "graphic whore" and will never bee. That's why I think they don't need to spend more money on making the graphic better on Wii U.

Zekrom_cool

I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an edu
OP
Trophies
Website
compfaqz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
India
CrimzonEyed said:
Zekrom_cool said:
CrimzonEyed said:
Makes sense, and why do we need better graphic if it already have better graphic than PS3?
Graphics is not the only way to measure a console's capability.
I know, I have never been a "graphic whore" and will never bee. That's why I think they don't need to spend more money on making the graphic better on Wii U.
I agree with you on that criteria.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There is already a discussion on the matter here...but it's nice to hear some official sources say it.
smile.gif

The reaction of the audience here doesn't surprise me. The wii already was underpowered compared to the competition, so obviously the owners don't go for the graphic stuff. Casual gamers and 'incidental gamers' (like parents and people with too little time for pumping in many hours) will be pleased as well. But I wonder what xbox and PS3 owners think about this info. My prediction is that they will mostly stick with their guns...at least until the wiiu has some exclusive hardcore game titles.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Necron N.N said:
If nintendo makes a console with the same graphics as the nes for $350 people would still buy it.
pretty much this. I know I sure as hell would.

Nintendo has completely dominated this generation without the greatest graphics. If they manage to combine the great gameplay that people of all ages enjoy with graphics, that makes it all the much better and really hurts Sony and Microsoft that much more. I personally think that Nintendo is making a good move with the Wii U. Sure in 4 or 5 years the Wii U might not be as powerful as whatever Sony or Microsoft might come out with, but by then it might not even matter depending on what Nintendo releases before they come out.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the wU doesnt need to be more powerful than the current HD consoles like as i've said many times the gfx will not change even in the ps4, 720 1080p is max you can get at the moment and it won't change not for a long time.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
the wU doesnt need to be more powerful than the current HD consoles like as i've said many times the gfx will not change even in the ps4, 720 1080p is max you can get at the moment and it won't change not for a long time.
I don't care about graphics that much. I want it to be at least as powerful as a PS3 or 360 for the multiplayer capabilities.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
well it will be
And I'm happy about that. I was just saying that a console being more "powerful" doesn't only mean improved graphics. For those of us who still care about story and gameplay instead of just a bunch of eye candy (basically those who started out playing games in 2D), it really won't matter that the graphics won't be better than the current standard.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
A few wekks ago, i said it will use 50 Watts of power, but if it has more power than the ps3, i doubt that's possible...

Bladexdsl said:

Yes, but the 1st problem with that is that the Xbox360 and ps3 don't even support 1080p for half of the games, because it requires too much power. Or they use dirty tricks like GT5, with 1080 lines, but only ~1000 instead of 1920 pixels width. And the resolution alone is not a good indicator for the graphics quality, even the Wii might be able to run browser games in 1080p, would you compare that to ps3 games? You can always add more objects, more lightning effects, increase the texture quality etc. the limit for the graphics is not reached for a long time, even if the resolution for consoles is capped at 1080p60.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's all fine and dandy, unless the cut back in performance forces the developers to limit their creativity. Then not only will the system do poorly in the market due to it's odd approach at gaming, but also it's lack of decent games.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
syko5150 said:
Necron N.N said:
If nintendo makes a console with the same graphics as the nes for $350 people would still buy it.
pretty much this. I know I sure as hell would.

Nintendo has completely dominated this generation without the greatest graphics.
Hmm...I wanted to deny this claim, but a bit of searching actually proved it (second source). I had no idea wiis were that much more succesful. I knew the perception of it changed over time (the wiimote novelty wore off...especially now that the competition is going the same way).

Still...the claim that fanbois will just buy anything if it says "nintendo" is plain wrong. Or rather: those guys are a minority (a vocal minority is still a minority). Most of the sales are from "average users", perhaps even users who never bought a gaming console before (keep in mind that the fifth best selling game for the wii is wii fit). I bet those buyers didn't bought it because of the brand but because the console+wii fit is cheaper (and more fun) than a hometrainer.

Sure, we can say that story and gameplay are more important than graphics, but if the linked numbers are correct (yeah, I know: wikipedia's not the most reliable source ever), then roughly 1 wii in 4 has a balance board...which means that we can expect a reasonable number of "get off from the couch!!!"-games for the wiiu (remember: that console will support the balance board as well).

Erm...but I got off-topic somewhere. I just wanted to state that it's not so much the brand but the way games differ from other games that will determine the success (meaning: creativity and innovation).

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Zekrom_cool said:
Shigeru Miyamoto has revealed that Nintendo’s forthcoming Wii U console won’t be that much more powerful than existing consoles on the market, such as Sony’s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft’s Xbox 360.

Jack Tretton - Wii U is No Threat, Says "Welcome to 2006, Nintendo"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: