Miyamoto: Nintendo Didn’t Realize How Difficult Developing in HD Would Be

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by SolidSnake95, Jul 9, 2013.

1. SolidSnake95
    OP

SolidSnake95 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    United States
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/130627qa/index.html

Come now Nintendo, you really had the balls to be overconfident when your predecessor died very quickly? I had a Wii, I liked it to an extent. But Nintendo should obviously get their act together. And making a framework and development tools for other developers should have been done from the gecko. With the shitty marketing and game library, Nintendo seems to show that it gives two fucks about its new system.

2. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I just had to correct that one (pet peeve).

OT: I hope Miyamoto isn't spitting out empty words here, and that things will get better soon.

mercluke and FireValk01 like this.
  3. EzekielRage

EzekielRage Hero of the Void

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    Old news, that statement was months ago...

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Whoever gets the reference gets +5 points to taste in movies. As for the topic in question, "well d'uh" developing more complex graphics engines as well as more powerful SDK's harder than creating very basic ones.

FireValk01 and Psionic Roshambo like this.
  5. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Double the length of the sides, quadruple the area. Quadruple the number of visible pixels, increase the finite amount of detail that can be spotted per inch... but this means that the system needs to be able to handle higher-resolution textures (which have their own issue of quadrupled data for double the 'size') and higher-poly models. Not every team is good enough (or has enough time!) to make something look great without a high polycount and such.

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  6. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    Some one just needs to go berserk and take pictures of everything and use those as all of the textures in a game.... Do the whole Mortal Kombat thing but this time in 3D. The hardware seems like it is there....

7. pubert09

pubert09 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Nintendo is like the old people in your family that kind of know how to use a computer (but just barely).

SolidSnake95 likes this.
  8. EzekielRage

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    Al Demolition Man - LOVE that movie :)

9. EzekielRage

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    As for textures, polycount and what not, that is all BULLSHIT. it is bullshit. pure and simple. A game can look fantastic with low polys and low texture resolution if the ART STYLE is well thought out. And THAT takes talent and creativity that money cant buy. You need good people not good tech. Good tech can only do so much, creativity can do so much more...

in my opinion everybody whotells me graphics first is not to be taken seriously and i will not take anybody who boasts huge specs = winning serious. history showed otehrwise, human psychology does not work that way. but perhaps i am just too old, one of the old people that barely knows how to use a computer... (funny only to those who know me)

10. SolidSnake95
    OP

Jul 3, 2013
    United States
    I'm not a gfx guy, but name one game that looks good with low poly count.

11. EzekielRage

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    wind waker

as a matter of fact:
    THIS
    [​IMG]
    has less polys and less technology and lower texture resolution than
    THIS
    [​IMG]

And let us not forget this gem here:
    [​IMG]

which today STILL has more style than any call of duty could ever dream to have...

12. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Believe it or not, there were games back in the day when consoles didn't pump out a billion polygons and we enjoyed them. Hell, we didn't even always HAVE polygons.

On AMC right now.

13. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    As somebody who does 3D modeling... that is absolute bullshit. Both appear to have the same polycount, and texture resolution seems to be the same on both.

I suggest you go try out 3D modeling to learn what things like "polycount" and "texture resolution" actually ARE.

Foxi4 and SolidSnake95 like this.
  14. EzekielRage

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    Dude... I designed 3D games and released them when the PS2 was still a pipedream... So PLEASE dont tell me
    I* should inform myself... How many games have YOU released?

edit:
    also, i KNOW for a FACT that wind waker textures are 64*64 with soem RARE occasions being 96*96 and that the polycount is WAY lower than on comparable games from the time. and a short google search will confirm that easily for you...
    edit to that: some go even up to 128*128 but those are mostly used to fill out mountains and rocks)

SolidSnake95 likes this.
  15. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Well this thread has gotten interesting. [​IMG]

SSVAV and SolidSnake95 like this.
  16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It just so happens that Wind Waker indeed has quite advanced technology powering it. It's one of the very first games which had dynamic cloth physics, dynamic grass "bending" physics which work individually for every blade, dynamic shadows, dynamic shading and frankly has a huge polycount in comparison to an average PS2 game. It also features an interesting effect where the shoes of the characters always match the floor - the soles transform according to the floor's tilt, but I'm not sure what it's called.

[​IMG]

Rydian's right, you're wrong. Fact.

17. EzekielRage

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    no he isnt. the only higher poly model here is link who STILL has LESS polygons than the average COD2 soldier. COD2 also has a texture size usually TWICE as much as wind waker...

edit: combined with the fact that the PS could output a much higher polygon count than the gamecube...

18. SolidSnake95
    OP

Jul 3, 2013
    United States
    To be honest, I could already tell Wind Waker had a high polygon count. Given the effect I have on my pc when running it on Dolphin, Wind Waker happens to be one of the few extensive games on Gamecube.

Ezekiel is indeed wrong.

19. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    who gives 2 fucks how many polygons a cod soldier has gfx do not make the game they make it look pretty but gameplay is what makes the game FUN

20. EzekielRage

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    Thats the point of this discussion...

edit:
    dudes...

have a few FACTS:
    Polycount LINK in WindWaker 2003: 2800
    Polycount Battlefield Soldier 2002: 4096
    Texture Size Wind Waker: 64-128