Miyamoto: Don't get hopes up for F-Zero

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
F-Zero is Nintendo's biggest racing franchise... okay, sure, Mario Kart is bigger, but besides that... oh, wait, is Diddy Kong Racing in the mix? Because if that's the case, then I'll have to...

Ah, screw it. F-Zero is Nintendo's biggest futuristic racing franchise featuring a character named Captain Falcon. There, settled.

Now, while the series has been dormant in recent years, many fans have been hoping that Nintendo could show us some moves and rally up a comeback. However...

"I certainly understand that people want a new F-Zero game," Miyamoto said. "I think where I struggle is that I don’t really have a good idea for what’s new that we could bring to F-Zero that would really turn it into a great game again. Certainly I can see how people looking at Mario Kart 8 could see, through the anti-gravity, a connection to F-Zero. But I don’t know, at this point, what direction we could go in with a new F-Zero."

...I wondered, and asked, if Miyamoto simply felt some franchises (like F-Zero or Wave Race) were suited to older generations of Nintendo hardware, and didn't have a place in modern gaming.

"It’s tough," Miyamoto said. "We come to the show and we bring a lot of great franchises and everyone says, 'Oh, well, where’s this game that I want to play? Where’s something new?' I only have so much capacity. [laughs] Obviously in the past we’ve tried to work with other companies, where we’ve let them develop games for us in franchises like Star Fox and F-Zero, but the more we think about it, the more we prefer to be able to create those games internally, on our own. We’ve obviously, as I mentioned, been working on what we can do to increase our internal staff in a way that will allow us to have more projects going at the same time, so we can create new games and work on additional old IP and still maintain the other primary franchises that people want to see."
:arrow: IGN

So, basically, Nintendo has no real ideas for another game and is reluctant to hand it off to an outside developer this time around. Sounds like the franchise is F'd... zero.

Of course, this doesn't mean that we will never see another F-Zero game, but we likely won't be seeing one anytime soon. You'll just have to get your futuristic racing fix elsewhere.

*something something something* Falcon punch to the gut *something something something*.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I have friends that would foam at the mouth for a new Fzero. This is sad news. It seems that those fans are also the ones who want a new Metroid...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: drakkenshire

macmanhigh

THC = Truly High Caliber
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just thinking bout a new F-Zero & Metroid is giving me a Stiffy......Damn U Miyamoto for teasing Us so Hard

A new Online F-Zero would be Magic i believe

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It seems that those fans are also the ones who want a new Metroid...
I have no idea why you say this. Sure, both were very high quality on the gamecube. Oh, and they were both futuristic. But that's about it. I don't see how an F-zero fan would automatically be a metroid fan or vice versa. It can be, but it doesn't have to be.

For me, for example, a new F-zero would be a day 1 purchase. For metroid...meh. It certainly wasn't a bad game, but I'd probably pass on buying it (and I was very thrilled to hear retro was making a donkey kong game instead).

But anyway...at least this news is better than no news about it at all. And it makes sense. In fact, I'm one of the guys saying they'd need to expand to more new franchises (like wonderful 101). Then it's hard to say that I ALSO want them to make a new F-zero game.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
It seems that those fans are also the ones who want a new Metroid...
No really, huge f-zero fan but I rather take the new DK over Metroid, Metroid needs a rest.

"but the more we think about it, the more we prefer to be able to create those games internally, on our own."
Miyamoto didn't give a straight out no, I don't think he will consider one until they've gathered an internal team for the task. The best things about F-Zero GX came from their own developers and not SEGA, hence why he was disappointed with the project.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at least they are not like any other company that doesn't know where their game is going to, and then just release the same thing with a very minor small change...

"let's release a new game, with assassins and pirates!"

"let's release a new shooting game, with shields"

Reactions: NahuelDS

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
They shoulda used the anti gravity mechanic for FZero and thought up something else for Mario Kart.
Talking of rehashes, I saw the new Sonic game at the Nintendo Direct and thought Mario Galaxy right away. Anyone else get that vibe from it?

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I wouldn't mind 'the same thing' when it comes to F-Zero... Hell I'll even take a HD remake of either X or GX! Stick em both into one game and call it F-Zero DX!!!
(I'll let myself out)
...Ooo, or maybe a new game with classic track packs available as DLC! I'll buy those day one! :D
(I'll let myself out quickly..)

Can't understand this 'fresh idea to make the game great' business Shiggsy's coming out with, if it ain't broke..... answering the question with 'we can't be arsed' or 'Fuck F-Zero, Mario Kart shifts more copies' would've been the more truthful one. ;)

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
Talking of rehashes, I saw the new Sonic game at the Nintendo Direct and thought Mario Galaxy right away. Anyone else get that vibe from it?

It's not only you. That's why I'm calling it Super Sonic Galaxy X-treme instead of Sonic Lost World. :lol:

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't get what would be so difficult with a new Fzero. Just release FZeroGX, with a shiny new coat of paint, sling in online multiplayer and maybe a load of new tracks as well, everybody is happy. FZeroGX was miles ahead of its time anyway when it was released on gamecube. It still looks good today.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, screw it. F-Zero is Nintendo's biggest futuristic racing franchise featuring a character named Captain Falcon. There, settled.
race
n.
1. Sports
a. A competition of speed,

|
|
V

Before the call of "futuristic" goes out any situation in which an advanced being brings characters from disparate parallel universes into one and has them fight for its amusement is not likely to be pseudo medieval fantasy.

at least they are not like any other company that doesn't know where their game is going to, and then just release the same thing with a very minor small change...

"let's release a new game, with assassins and pirates!"

"let's release a new shooting game, with shields"

Did my sarcasm detector malfunction again -- this is the company that brought us pokemon.

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
F1? No, F-Zero.

If they do make a new game in the series, though, I hope that they ditch the mechanic where you die if you fall outside of the racing stage, though. That was one of the difficulties I had in the SNES F-Zero game. >.<

LDAsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The reality that is continually skated around is that in these modern times of turn-based boredom they believe gamers can't handle the reflexes required to win at a game like F-Zero. This kind of game would simply make people feel dizzy because their turn-based brains are not psychologically equipt to handle high smooth framerates and rapidly flashing colours. They are scared of an immense downpour of legal actions from kids who try to play F-Zero3DS while walking down the street, fall victim to the dizziness and go stumbling into traffic.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. I really don't get the demand behind these games. I mean, I played GX and it was OK. But I wouldn't buy a new one. Unless it really remade the series, like Miyamoto wants. It was the same case for Pokemon before X and Y was announced, same feeling towards Mario till 3D Land came out and probably wouldn't have bought Kid Icarus if it was another Platformer.

Im pretty sure there are many others that feel like me. Some consistency is nice (like Zelda and Smash bros, never get tired of those) but if they really can bring anything new, I would rather they wait till they can.

Geren

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Spain
F-Zero does not need new features. It needs online play and high definition graphics. Racing games don't generally reinvent the wheel so to speak and they can generally be really freaking awesome.

This.

Take F-Zero GX, revamp to HD add 32-multiplayer online and call it a day. Given how nintendo hasn't explored online too much on the wii-u this game would be perfect.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup