Miyamoto: Don't get hopes up for F-Zero

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    F-Zero is Nintendo's biggest racing franchise... okay, sure, Mario Kart is bigger, but besides that... oh, wait, is Diddy Kong Racing in the mix? Because if that's the case, then I'll have to...

Ah, screw it. F-Zero is Nintendo's biggest futuristic racing franchise featuring a character named Captain Falcon. There, settled.

Now, while the series has been dormant in recent years, many fans have been hoping that Nintendo could show us some moves and rally up a comeback. However...

:arrow: IGN

So, basically, Nintendo has no real ideas for another game and is reluctant to hand it off to an outside developer this time around. Sounds like the franchise is F'd... zero.

Of course, this doesn't mean that we will never see another F-Zero game, but we likely won't be seeing one anytime soon. You'll just have to get your futuristic racing fix elsewhere.

*something something something* Falcon punch to the gut *something something something*.

2. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Well, I have friends that would foam at the mouth for a new Fzero. This is sad news. It seems that those fans are also the ones who want a new Metroid...

3. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    drakkenshire likes this.
  4. macmanhigh

macmanhigh THC = Truly High Caliber

Banned
    Mar 29, 2012
    United States
    BuddsVille,CA
    Just thinking bout a new F-Zero & Metroid is giving me a Stiffy......Damn U Miyamoto for teasing Us so Hard

A new Online F-Zero would be Magic i believe

5. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I have no idea why you say this. Sure, both were very high quality on the gamecube. Oh, and they were both futuristic. But that's about it. I don't see how an F-zero fan would automatically be a metroid fan or vice versa. It can be, but it doesn't have to be.

For me, for example, a new F-zero would be a day 1 purchase. For metroid...meh. It certainly wasn't a bad game, but I'd probably pass on buying it (and I was very thrilled to hear retro was making a donkey kong game instead).

But anyway...at least this news is better than no news about it at all. And it makes sense. In fact, I'm one of the guys saying they'd need to expand to more new franchises (like wonderful 101). Then it's hard to say that I ALSO want them to make a new F-zero game.

6. Eerpow

Eerpow *swoosh*

Sep 14, 2009
    ERROR!
    No really, huge f-zero fan but I rather take the new DK over Metroid, Metroid needs a rest.

"but the more we think about it, the more we prefer to be able to create those games internally, on our own."
    Miyamoto didn't give a straight out no, I don't think he will consider one until they've gathered an internal team for the task. The best things about F-Zero GX came from their own developers and not SEGA, hence why he was disappointed with the project.

7. ForteGospel

ForteGospel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 29, 2008
    United States
    at least they are not like any other company that doesn't know where their game is going to, and then just release the same thing with a very minor small change...

"let's release a new game, with assassins and pirates!"

"let's release a new shooting game, with shields"

NahuelDS likes this.
  8. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    They shoulda used the anti gravity mechanic for FZero and thought up something else for Mario Kart.
    Talking of rehashes, I saw the new Sonic game at the Nintendo Direct and thought Mario Galaxy right away. Anyone else get that vibe from it?

9. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Personally I wouldn't mind 'the same thing' when it comes to F-Zero... Hell I'll even take a HD remake of either X or GX! Stick em both into one game and call it F-Zero DX!!!
    (I'll let myself out)
    ...Ooo, or maybe a new game with classic track packs available as DLC! I'll buy those day one! :D
    (I'll let myself out quickly..)

Can't understand this 'fresh idea to make the game great' business Shiggsy's coming out with, if it ain't broke..... answering the question with 'we can't be arsed' or 'Fuck F-Zero, Mario Kart shifts more copies' would've been the more truthful one. ;)

10. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    It's not only you. That's why I'm calling it Super Sonic Galaxy X-treme instead of Sonic Lost World. :lol:

11. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK
    I don't get what would be so difficult with a new Fzero. Just release FZeroGX, with a shiny new coat of paint, sling in online multiplayer and maybe a load of new tracks as well, everybody is happy. FZeroGX was miles ahead of its time anyway when it was released on gamecube. It still looks good today.

12. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    Just bang out a VC version , thats gotta be a simple enough pacifier surely.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    race
    n.
    1. Sports
    a. A competition of speed,

|
    |
    V

Before the call of "futuristic" goes out any situation in which an advanced being brings characters from disparate parallel universes into one and has them fight for its amusement is not likely to be pseudo medieval fantasy.

Did my sarcasm detector malfunction again -- this is the company that brought us pokemon.

14. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    F-Zero does not need new features. It needs online play and high definition graphics. Racing games don't generally reinvent the wheel so to speak and they can generally be really freaking awesome.

mrnintendo15 and Sagat like this.
  15. EZ-Megaman

EZ-Megaman Likeanator

Aug 11, 2009
    F1? No, F-Zero.

If they do make a new game in the series, though, I hope that they ditch the mechanic where you die if you fall outside of the racing stage, though. That was one of the difficulties I had in the SNES F-Zero game. >.<

16. LDAsh

LDAsh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2007
    The reality that is continually skated around is that in these modern times of turn-based boredom they believe gamers can't handle the reflexes required to win at a game like F-Zero. This kind of game would simply make people feel dizzy because their turn-based brains are not psychologically equipt to handle high smooth framerates and rapidly flashing colours. They are scared of an immense downpour of legal actions from kids who try to play F-Zero3DS while walking down the street, fall victim to the dizziness and go stumbling into traffic.

17. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    you're saying that nintendo covets the health of their users over a healthy profit on game sales? bollox.

18. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    Damn you Miyamoto! I want a new F-Zero gaem nao!

19. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    Wow. I really don't get the demand behind these games. I mean, I played GX and it was OK. But I wouldn't buy a new one. Unless it really remade the series, like Miyamoto wants. It was the same case for Pokemon before X and Y was announced, same feeling towards Mario till 3D Land came out and probably wouldn't have bought Kid Icarus if it was another Platformer.

Im pretty sure there are many others that feel like me. Some consistency is nice (like Zelda and Smash bros, never get tired of those) but if they really can bring anything new, I would rather they wait till they can.

Bobbybangin, chavosaur and clarky like this.
  20. Geren

Geren GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2011
    Spain
    This.

Take F-Zero GX, revamp to HD add 32-multiplayer online and call it a day. Given how nintendo hasn't explored online too much on the wii-u this game would be perfect.