Mixer is shutting down, will be merged into Facebook Gaming

TnqwmW5.png

Microsoft's attempts to overthrow Twitch as the streaming platform king have abruptly come to a halt, with the announcement that Mixer will soon be no more. Despite all the money thrown into the service in order to secure exclusivity contracts with streaming icons such as Ninja, Microsoft is throwing in the towel as of today, with Mixer to exist on life support for another month until the service shuts down on July 22nd. Following that date, Mixer will then redirect to Facebook Gaming, in the hopes of finding success by combining Facebook's popularity and Microsoft's xCloud technology, which will, according to the company, ideally let you seamlessly switch from checking out gameplay videos to actually playing them with just one click. Mircosoft purchased Mixer, previously called Beam, in 2016, where they heavily pushed the service to compete with both YouTube Gaming and Twitch to no avail.

For us at Xbox, the player is at the center of the gaming experience, always. It’s our responsibility to make sure great games and related experiences go to meet players wherever they are. Our priority and focus is on the world-class content being made by our 15 Xbox Game Studios, the evolution of Xbox Game Pass, the launch of Xbox Series X, and the global opportunity to play anywhere with Project xCloud.

Bringing that vision to life, for as many people as possible, will see us working with different partners, platforms, and communities for years to come. It will also see us adjusting our strategy to best serve players wherever they gather daily, which includes the category of livestreaming. We’re grateful for the collective work from the Mixer community in creating a welcoming, supportive, and positive place from day one.

Ultimately, the success of Partners and streamers on Mixer is dependent on our ability to scale the service for them as quickly and broadly as possible. It became clear that the time needed to grow our own livestreaming community to scale was out of measure with the vision and experiences we want to deliver to gamers now, so we’ve decided to close the operations side of Mixer and help the community transition to a new platform. To better serve our community’s needs, we’re teaming up with Facebook to enable the Mixer community to transition to Facebook Gaming.

FBGMixer_Inline1.jpg

Beginning today, Facebook Gaming will make it easy for anyone in the Mixer community to join, if they choose to do so. We will work to transition the Mixer community over the next few weeks. Starting on July 22, all Mixer sites and apps will redirect users to Facebook Gaming. For Mixer Partners, streamers, and viewers, we expect you’ll have many questions – you can find more details on how we will support the transition to Facebook Gaming on the Mixer blog here.

Transitioning the Mixer community is a key part of a broader effort that Xbox and Facebook Gaming are embarking on, bringing new experiences and opportunities to Facebook, where every month more than 700 million people play a game, watch a gaming video, or interact in a gaming Group.

Continued Focus on the Future of Xbox

Everything we’ve done to date at Xbox has been to meet players where they are and reduce the friction between curiosity and play as much as possible. Making it easy for players to discover and play games wherever they are creates new, viable pathways for developers to reach new players and to be rewarded for new ideas. This is where our work can make the widest impact.

Key to this vision is our Project xCloud technology, which we see delivering games to all kinds of screens and windows in your life, including those on Facebook. Gaming is already part of our social fabric, and Project xCloud can take you from discussing a new game – whether it’s a funny in-game moment posted by a friend, an ad, or an ongoing stream – directly to playing it. In the future, through the power of Xbox Live and Project xCloud, we see there being just one click between “I’m watching” and “I’m playing.”

In the meantime, we will continue to invest time, energy, and resources to bring Project xCloud to global scale through Azure. We’re always testing new features and learning, and we’re excited to explore further as we look to debut click-to-play scenarios within the Facebook Gaming and Instagram communities.

Mixer Technology Across Microsoft

Gaming has always pushed technology forward. Livestreaming services, like Mixer, have pioneered a new level of interactive experiences at scale, born from the simple fact that players drive the action in a game. Although the Mixer community will be able to transition to Facebook Gaming, the innovative technology that powered the platform will stay with and live on across Microsoft.

Microsoft Teams will leverage Mixer’s deep investments in ultra-low latency video streaming, real-time interactivity, and video distribution technology to accelerate our ability to support a variety of video-first, virtual experiences from meetings to live events to other broadcast scenarios. Applying these fan-centric capabilities to new productivity experiences will create immersive ways for Teams to empower people, teams, and organizations to better engage in virtual gatherings at work and school.

At Xbox, as we focus on bringing great games and experiences to more people around the world, we look forward to meeting new and even bigger communities as they gather around their favorite games.

:arrow: Source

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It got some attention when Ninja was still promoting Fortnite.
Ah that will be why I never heard of it. Can't stand Fortnite and I only know of Ninja because I seen him on The Masked Singer :).

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Microsoft's attempts to overthrow Twitch as the streaming platform king have abruptly come to a halt, with the announcement that Mixer will soon be no more. Despite all the money thrown into the service in order to secure exclusivity contracts with streaming icons such as Ninja, Microsoft is throwing in the towel as of today, with Mixer to exist on life support for another month until the service shuts down on July 22nd. Following that date, Mixer will then redirect to Facebook Gaming, in the hopes of finding success by combining Facebook's popularity and Microsoft's xCloud technology, which will, according to the company, ideally let you seamlessly switch from checking out gameplay videos to actually playing them with just one click. Mircosoft purchased Mixer, previously called Beam, in 2016, where they heavily pushed the service to compete with both YouTube Gaming and Twitch to no avail.

:arrow: Source
Sucks that there isn't really a streaming platform that's just good for everything. With Twitch being friends with staff instantly makes it so you don't have to follow any rules. Facebook Gaming tracking and selling everything you do. and Mixer still tracked stuff but it was better than either of those.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Reactions: ScrubLordm8

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being that streamers with exclusivity deals can now go back to Twitch, I'd like to take a minute to appreciate how Ninja basically stole up to $30m from Microsoft for doing basically nothing differently for a few months.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-usd20m-and-usd30m-for-mixer-exclusivity-deal

What a W for him.
actually....i read an article linked on that story that both ninja and shroud got shafted

Mixer Partners will be given partner status on Facebook Gaming as well, and Microsoft said Facebook will match existing agreements streamers had with Mixer "as closely as possible."

That apparently doesn't include high-profile streamers that Microsoft had signed Mixer exclusivity deals with, like Tyler "Ninja" Blevins or Michael "Shroud" Grzesiek. Facebook Gaming head Vivek Sharma told The Verge that they will be released from their contracts and can decide where they would like to stream next.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-06-22-microsoft-shutting-down-mixer

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
THAT MEANS NINJA earns 80k dollars per day just playing some videogames, dude THAT'S PHUCKING DISGUSTING AND UNFAIR!
I mean, it's no less fair than NFL/NBA players who make millions by skillfully tossing a ball around. It's entertainment to people, and jobs in society are paid what people are willing to pay for them.
both ninja and shroud got shafted
But your source directly contradicts that?
"they will be released from their contracts and can decide where they would like to stream next."

Reactions: Xabring
D

Deleted User

I imagine very very few people will go for Facebook over Twitch, simply because of the sheer amount of surveilence state that website is.
Twitch just won big, as did the streamers.

Reactions: Dominator211

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine very very few people will go for Facebook over Twitch, simply because of the sheer amount of surveilence state that website is.
Twitch just won big, as did the streamers.

Twitch? Sure.

The streamers, on the other hand? You don't pay attention to the news, do you? *Twitch Safety Council (its always about "safety," isn't it? No one ever brings up freedom) and deer girl intensifies*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.