Mitigating the 'TempStyle Dark' problem

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
After getting a little tired of not being able to read posts, I thought I might offer a small suggestion:

Ban the colour picker.

It doesn't serve any purpose, no real benefit. All it does is allow people to either hurt your eyes by picking overly bright colours, or hurt your eyes by making it difficult to focus on them against a non-contrasting background colour.

You could quite easily still allow a selection of colours, for which I would suggest 16 for the light theme and 16 for the dark theme. So, [color=1] would be a different colour for the dark theme and a different colour for the light theme and so on. But there'd be no awful, difficult to focus on or hard to see colours. Just perfect, subtle complementary accents and monotones.

Probably the largest culprit is the rich text editor; when pasting text from a foreign site all formatting data is copied. People don't seem to realize you can right click and choose to paste as plain text in most browsers. It wouldn't be difficult to detect pasted content and remove the formatting accordingly, using JavaScript. Some of this is already done by the RTE, because it converts the HTML pasted into BB code. If you wanted, you could just remove the [color] tags.

Please, make it so!

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Option A - Remove and/or severely limit colors.
People affected: Newbies (positive), normal users (negative).

Option B - Remove colors when pasting.
People affects: Newbies (positive).

I'll take a + over a +-.

And I'd take a half solution over no solution, so... carry on.

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
If only there was some kind of forum code to limit color posting to members who have been here for awhile (based on count) then that would possibly be a good way to avert the issue.

Of course, we run the risk of someone new getting real cozy in the off topic sections and then complaining they can't post in color...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)