Mississipi shooter kills 8

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that the system could be abused to that point, but don't drivers licences work the same way? you have to prove your worthy of the right to get in a machine that could kill people.
Well, I think it depends on a few factor's but mostly if you view it as a license to drive or to use the infrastructure of roads. I would argue the first is a violation but not the latter...

There's a difference between restricting rights and regulating a potentially dangerous market so that future damage could be prevented
"Let's restrict access to cigarettes since it is potentially dangerous"
"Let's restrict certain access to voting since it is potentially dangerous to have blacks vote"]

Regardless such regulations are restrictions to rights no matter what anyone says but however they are often "justified" using a subjective viewpoint.

Reactions: HamBone41801
Trophies
XP
Country
France
"Let's restrict certain access to voting since it is potentially dangerous to have blacks vote"]
The first point isn't valid, since smokers mainly harm themselves. Second point... ummm... Anyways, why not restrict use for things that can only be used to kill children and innocent people in malls?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first point isn't valid, since smokers mainly harm themselves. Second point... ummm... Anyways, why not restrict use for things that can only be used to kill children and innocent people in malls?

So the bad guys are the only ones who have access to said weapons? Making weapons illegal to obtain will only cause people to get them illegally; illegalities never stopped people from obtaining them.

Outlaw guns, only outlaws will get them.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Heinansi

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It shares the same problem that Germany faces, the allowed lawlessness when it comes to their Islamic "refugees."

Dearest and highly respected Sir,

you would do well to, every once in a while, step outside your bubble of nutjob propaganda that has hijacked much of the modern conservative debate.

Yours truly,
a person that has was born, raised and is currently living in Germany.

Last edited by Heinansi,

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first point isn't valid, since smokers mainly harm themselves.
Not always due to public smoking laws which are passed on the basis of second-hand smoke reduction.

Second point... ummm...
Difficult but such a view was once mainsteam in America...

Anyways, why not restrict use for things that can only be used to kill children and innocent people in malls?
Regardless such regulations are restrictions to rights no matter what anyone says but however they are often "justified" using a subjective viewpoint.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So the bad guys are the only ones who have access to said weapons? Making weapons illegal to obtain will only cause people to get them illegally; illegalities never stopped people from obtaining them.

I don't want to forbid guns in general. I talk about machineguns and automatic/semi-automatic weapons. Of course anyone can use a small revolver to defend himself.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Let's restrict certain access to voting since it is potentially dangerous to have blacks vote"
That's INCREDIBLY extreme and only tangentially relevant. I say again that there's a difference between preventing people from constitutional rights and ensuring the safety of the majority of the population. No one is complaining that someone has to be trained to operate heavy machinery designed to help and can have that licence revoked, I'm flabbergasted that anyone can defend allowing someone who shows a lack of competency with a machine designed for death unrestricted access

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I think it depends on a few factor's but mostly if you view it as a license to drive or to use the infrastructure of roads. I would argue the first is a violation but not the latter...

fair enough. It does seem to be a slippery slope, but there should still definitely be punishments for violent offenders in terms of owning guns.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Again, we're not talking about banning guns, we're saying that there should be a mandatory education course before a licence is approved. Will people circumvent that? Of course. But having laws in place of that nature makes it easier to deal with THOSE people as well

It's not like we don't already send millions of otherwise innocent people to jail simply for possession of marijuana, anyway

Reactions: Subtle Demise

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, we're not talking about banning guns, we're saying that there should be a mandatory education course before a licence is approved. Will people circumvent that? Of course. But having laws in place of that nature makes it easier to deal with THOSE people as well

It's not like we don't already send millions of otherwise innocent people to jail simply for possession of marijuana, anyway
but remember, marijuana is only slightly less dangerous than heroine. *sarcastic eyerole*

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's INCREDIBLY extreme and only tangentially relevant
Not really since both were argued on the view that the potential harm warranted restrictions of sorts.

I say again that there's a difference between preventing people from constitutional rights and ensuring the safety of the majority of the population
Regardless it is still a restriction only argued from the point that the overall net impact is worth it. See the Pat-Riot Act that good ole Dubya passed....

I'm flabbergasted that anyone can defend allowing someone who shows a lack of competency with a machine designed for death unrestricted access
As I argued, such competency is purely subjective and also the point above. Also such violent actions and ownership of violent weapons are two very separate things...

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I argued, such competency is purely subjective and also the point above. Also such violent actions and ownership of violent weapons are two very separate things...
It may be subjective to a point but it becomes pretty objective when you start leaving holes in people. And one enables the other

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You don't have a clue the shithole that is Brazil, but you know what they say... ignorance is bliss.
Sure I will prefer to live in Brazil before NK, Iran, Syria, Venezuela,... well, there are worse places too. PS: And yes, Argentina is a shithole also.

You think you're so smart yet you call Brazil a shithole.
Jealous boludo it seems.

Tsc tsc, you've probably never even been here.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You think you're so smart yet you call Brazil a shithole.
Jealous boludo it seems.

Tsc tsc, you've probably never even been here.
The last thing I would be of any South American country is jealous.

PS: And yes, I've been there.
Sorry if you can't identify your country and its living conditions for what they are, I hope you don't come across many nice "microwaved" people in your wonderful favelas.
I suppose you carry some blinding pride for your country, I do not, not for yours, not for mine, I see things for what they are.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
See @Memoir this type of thing is what I'm talking about

Saying it's one of the best countries, and saying it is THE best country are two different things.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I agree that the system could be abused to that point, but don't drivers licences work the same way? you have to prove your worthy of the right to get in a machine that could kill people.
Only once... After that you take a written exam which is easy as hell in some places. I know it is here in Wyoming. So many dumbass drivers. Oh my Lord I'm glad I don't live in a big city.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saying it's one of the best countries, and saying it is THE best country are two different things.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Only once... After that you take a written exam which is easy as hell in some places. I know it is here in Wyoming. So many dumbass drivers. Oh my Lord I'm glad I don't live in a big city.
"Best Western country by far"

Also, iirc if you are caught for reckless driving you can get your license suspended and have to re-certify in driver's ed (at least in Iowa)

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
"Best Western country by far"

Also, iirc if you are caught for reckless driving you can get your license suspended and have to re-certify in driver's ed (at least in Iowa)
Well, circumstances pending, sure. In general, as long as you don't get busted, you can drive like an asshole all you want. There's a few thousand people here that need retested.. I guarantee that half of them will no longer be street legal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended