Homebrew RELEASE MissionControl: Use controllers from other consoles natively via Bluetooth

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

ndeadly is there a way to enable Gamecube mode (analog trigger support) with a wired connection for a Dual Sense Controller, i want to Play Trials Rising, and sadly there is still no hardware dongles that can change the 3rd party controllers to Game Cube mode

ndeadly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

ndeadly is there a way to enable Gamecube mode (analog trigger support) with a wired connection for a Dual Sense Controller, i want to Play Trials Rising, and sadly there is still no hardware dongles that can change the 3rd party controllers to Game Cube mode

I have my doubts it would be possible over bluetooth, but via USB it should be doable. The only problem is that Mission Control doesn't currently support wired connections. I spent a bit of time over the past month or two looking into it but have hit a bit of a roadblock at the moment.

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have my doubts it would be possible over bluetooth, but via USB it should be doable. The only problem is that Mission Control doesn't currently support wired connections. I spent a bit of time over the past month or two looking into it but have hit a bit of a roadblock at the moment.
well if you have any progress or insight, please let us know, a glimmer of hope is enough! i think ill settle for 8Bitdo Gbros adapter, i give up on using Dual Sense or Dual shock 4 on switch to play Trials

i have researched it for over 1 year, and concluded that all Bluetooth connections will always have Switch Pro Controller Mode

still hoping that Myflash dongles maker release a Dongle that has GameCube mode

right now the only way to play Grid or Trials with Analog Triggers is either from a gamecube adapter (myflash adapter better then official, works on PC too)
or
https://support.8bitdo.com/faq/gbros.html the purple 8BitDo Game cube adapter, after a firmware update you can use it in switch with wireless Game cube mode:

Quote: after you update you can change it from Pro Controller mode to GC Controller mode by pressing L+R+A+B+start. Green light = GC Red light = Pro”

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
well if you have any progress or insight, please let us know, a glimmer of hope is enough! i think ill settle for 8Bitdo Gbros adapter, i give up on using Dual Sense or Dual shock 4 on switch to play Trials

i have researched it for over 1 year, and concluded that all Bluetooth connections will always have Switch Pro Controller Mode

still hoping that Myflash dongles maker release a Dongle that has GameCube mode

right now the only way to play Grid or Trials with Analog Triggers is either from a gamecube adapter (myflash adapter better then official, works on PC too)
or
https://support.8bitdo.com/faq/gbros.html the purple 8BitDo Game cube adapter, after a firmware update you can use it in switch with wireless Game cube mode:

Quote: after you update you can change it from Pro Controller mode to GC Controller mode by pressing L+R+A+B+start. Green light = GC Red light = Pro”

How does the Switch respond to an actual controller with Analog triggers?

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
all Bluetooth controllers use a Switch Pro Profile when connected, and will adapt the Pro Controller ZL and ZR "Digital triggers"
it responds to it as a fully pressed Analog trigger

Gamecube controllers use D-Input, and Switch Firmware only recognizes Xinput commands also there was a patent war for Analog Triggers for Gamecube and Ninetndo never implemented them afterwards
not confirmed, Quote:
the lack of analogue trigger buttons on Nintendo controllers since the Classic Controller Pro (the Classic Controllers had analogue L and R buttons) is due to patent litigation issues; the Classic Controller and the GameCube controller was once withdrawn from circulation (in 2008, they re-entered circulation in 2010) after a patent troll had sued Nintendo over certain aspects of its design (reportedly both analogue triggers and rumble). (See Anascape vs Nintendo)

Anascap The Patent Troll had also sued Sony and MS for the same thing in PlayStation and Xbox controllers, both Sony and MS settled out of court.

on Switch even with the SDK kit, the developer has to enable it for their Game and it will work only from a Gamecube controller adapter
Games like Grid, Trials Rising
Rocket League doesn't support Game Cube Analog Triggers, this confirms that the developer must enable the feature in order for it to work

Quote:
SpawnWave mentioned, the Grid Autosport developers confirmed that currently, the only way the Switch will recognize analog trigger input is from the GameCube controller adapter. Nintendo should be able to patch the firmware to recognize analog triggers in other devices. For now though, the Switch will not recognize analog trigger input from 8Bitdo controllers or others.
and to complicate things more:
GameCube lookalike Switch controllers (including the Smash Ultimate Gamecube controller) that are currently in production by third parties, those don't even produce an analog signal from the triggers. They may have travel before the actual button press, but it serves no purpose.

Only 8Bitdo managed to make a wireless dongle and after a Firmware update for it, it had the ability to change into game cube mode and use Analog Trigger, this is the only dongle with minimum input lag compared to Nintendos own wired adapter and Nyko USB adapter

gbros.jpg

Last edited by ZER-O,
Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
all Bluetooth controllers use a Switch Pro Profile when connected, and will adapt the Pro Controller ZL and ZR "Digital triggers"
it responds to it as a fully pressed Analog trigger

Gamecube controllers use D-Input, and Switch Firmware only recognizes Xinput commands also there was a patent war for Analog Triggers for Gamecube and Ninetndo never implemented them afterwards
not confirmed, Quote:
the lack of analogue trigger buttons on Nintendo controllers since the Classic Controller Pro (the Classic Controllers had analogue L and R buttons) is due to patent litigation issues; the Classic Controller and the GameCube controller was once withdrawn from circulation (in 2008, they re-entered circulation in 2010) after a patent troll had sued Nintendo over certain aspects of its design (reportedly both analogue triggers and rumble). (See Anascape vs Nintendo)

Anascap The Patent Troll had also sued Sony and MS for the same thing in PlayStation and Xbox controllers, both Sony and MS settled out of court.

on Switch even with the SDK kit, the developer has to enable it for their Game and it will work only from a Gamecube controller adapter
Games like Grid, Trials Rising
Rocket League doesn't support Game Cube Analog Triggers, this confirms that the developer must enable the feature in order for it to work

Quote:
SpawnWave mentioned, the Grid Autosport developers confirmed that currently, the only way the Switch will recognize analog trigger input is from the GameCube controller adapter. Nintendo should be able to patch the firmware to recognize analog triggers in other devices. For now though, the Switch will not recognize analog trigger input from 8Bitdo controllers or others.
and to complicate things more:
GameCube lookalike Switch controllers (including the Smash Ultimate Gamecube controller) that are currently in production by third parties, those don't even produce an analog signal from the triggers. They may have travel before the actual button press, but it serves no purpose.

Only 8Bitdo managed to make a wireless dongle and after a Firmware update for it, it had the ability to change into game cube mode and use Analog Trigger, this is the only dongle with minimum input lag compared to Nintendos own wired adapter and Nyko USB adapter

View attachment 287084

Thanks for the explanation.
So with that, the GC controllers through the adapter are the only ones that generate an analogue input, correct?

In terms of wireless/bluetooth controllers, which ones do you recommend that have actual analogue triggers properly recognized in other devices, but in the Switch they get detected as digital?

ndeadly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Via bluetooth it doesn't, as the data reporting formats don't contain any fields for it. When I map third party controllers I use the digital trigger value (most controllers send this in addition to an analog value), or simply threshold the analog value myself. This is mapped to the ZL/ZR buttons of a Switch Pro controller.

The hid sysmodule has separate code for handling usb connections and knows how to read from the gamecube adapter. There is a separate section of hid shared memory for storing this data, but a game must be specifically written to read from it instead of the regular controller data in order to take advantage.

It should be possible to modify incoming USB packets via mitm to look like they originate from the gamecube adapter. The same for bluetooth is probably not possible, unless the code for handling all the different input types is common and we can send data formatted to look the same as the USB adapter. I suspect it's only looking for the bluetooth formats though.

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the explanation.
So with that, the GC controllers through the adapter are the only ones that generate an analogue input, correct?

In terms of wireless/bluetooth controllers, which ones do you recommend that have actual analogue triggers properly recognized in other devices, but in the Switch they get detected as digital?
You're welcome
there is one more adapter capable of changing its profile from Pro controller to a Game Cube controller (it runs on AA battery, can also work through a Micro USB connection without the Battery
https://www.8bitdo.com/gbros/ if you update the FW you can enable GC Controller mode by pressing L+R+A+B+start (Analog Trigger will work for Mario Sunshine and Trials Rising)
you need an Original Game Cube controller, Smash Ultimate GC controller doesn't have Analog Buttons)
gbros adapter.jpg

maybe a Skilled Programmer can take a look into 8Bitdo Gbros firmware update and extract the Game Cube Profile Mode from it and see if its possible to add it to mission control

i was looking for a way to connect my PS3 Logitech Guitar Hero Life Size controller to Wii,Wii U and Xbox 360 and to Clone Hero PC and found out that Myflash USB Dongle was the only Device that worked!, it also allows you to connect Game Cube Dance Mat pads through Gamecube adapter, i think they have support for Game Cube controllers but not working inside the Switch

and regarding your question:
Here are my Top 3 Controller with Analog Triggers that work on Android phones and Windows:
(they will also work properly either from a software tool or a Dongle like Myflash wireless Adapter or 8Bitdo Wireless Brick Adapter (needs FW update)
1- https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-for-xbox-cloud-gaming-on-android/
not compatible with console.jpg
R trigger usb micro.PNG

2 - PS5 Dual Sense controller is the perfect controller for Windows and Switch
you can use DS4windows fork to make it work seamlessly on Windows 10

3 -
https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2/
8BitDo Pro 2. is a great alternative

8BitDo Pro 2 More Pro 8BitDo.png

4- Xbox Series X Bluetooth Controller & Elite Controller 2 (they are Great for FPS games, nothing else)

Last edited by ZER-O,

ndeadly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
maybe a Skilled Programmer can take a look into 8Bitdo Gbros firmware update and extract the Game Cube Profile Mode from it and see if its possible to add it to mission control
It's almost certainly just changing it's output to mimic the gamecube USB adapter. Reversing the 8bitdo firmware would be overkill when we can just straight up intercept USB communications. The problem of USB support from within Mission Control is still the main obstacle.

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's almost certainly just changing it's output to mimic the gamecube USB adapter. Reversing the 8bitdo firmware would be overkill when we can just straight up intercept USB communications. The problem of USB support from within Mission Control is still the main obstacle.
i wish Sys-con enabled Gamecube profile for wired ps4/ps3/ps5 controllers
i used my ps3 and ps4 controllers on Wii + Wii U to play smash Brawl through several dongles and had Analog Triggers Working, it should be possible, i hope you figure out a way

i am bummed the Xbox cloud controller doesn't work on switch with Analog, its the perfect travel companion for both smartphone and switch gaming

ndeadly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i wish Sys-con enabled Gamecube profile for wired ps4/ps3/ps5
i used my ps3 and ps4 controllers on wii u to play smash Brawl through several dongles, it should be possible, i hope you figure out a way

i am bummed the Xbox cloud controller doesn't work on switch with Analog, its the perfect travel companion for both smartphone and switch gaming
sys-con can't, because of the way it works. It uses the virtual gamepad API to create controllers which simplifies some things, but is somewhat limited in what it can do. This is also why sys-con can't support rumble or motion controls. My approach would be to mitm the actual commands like I do for bluetooth and modify data on the fly such that the console thinks it's talking to a real controller. This is why I haven't simply lifted code from sys-con for USB support.

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
sys-con can't, because of the way it works. It uses the virtual gamepad API to create controllers which simplifies some things, but is somewhat limited in what it can do. This is also why sys-con can't support rumble or motion controls. My approach would be to mitm the actual commands like I do for bluetooth and modify data on the fly such that the console thinks it's talking to a real controller. This is why I haven't simply lifted code from sys-con for USB support.
i dont have experience in how the Game cube Adapter works, but right now if its possible to extract the profile from it or from Bbitdo Gbros to enable GC mode, i see no other way to bring Analog Support

and this is only for Game cube controllers......
in order to make Dual Sense or PS4 Analog Trigger recognized, we will have to add myflash dongle on top of a PS4 to game cube wired usb dongle to make it work
this seems like a hardware limitation from the switch, or Nintendo just neglected X Input support and the only way to enable it was through a hardware adapter
since we know that the only way to enable Analog Triggers is by adding it from SDK to certain games

i hope i am wrong

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You're welcome
there is one more adapter capable of changing its profile from Pro controller to a Game Cube controller (it runs on AA battery, can also work through a Micro USB connection without the Battery
https://www.8bitdo.com/gbros/ if you update the FW you can enable GC Controller mode by pressing L+R+A+B+start (Analog Trigger will work for Mario Sunshine and Trials Rising)
you need an Original Game Cube controller, Smash Ultimate GC controller doesn't have Analog Buttons)
View attachment 287094

i was looking for a way to connect my PS3 Logitech Guitar Hero Life Size controller to Wii,Wii U and Xbox 360 and to Clone Hero PC and found out that Myflash USB Dongle was the only Device that worked!, it also allows you to connect Game Cube Dance Mat pads through Gamecube adapter, i think they have support for Game Cube controllers but not working inside the Switch

and regarding your question:
Here are my Top 3 Controller with Analog Triggers that work on Android phones and Windows:
(they will also work properly either from a software tool or a Dongle like Myflash wireless Adapter or 8Bitdo Wireless Brick Adapter (needs FW update)
1- https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-for-xbox-cloud-gaming-on-android/
View attachment 287095View attachment 287096
2 - PS5 Dual Sense controller is the perfect controller for Windows and Switch
you can use DS4windows fork to make it work seamlessly on Windows 10

3 -
https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2/
8BitDo Pro 2. is a great alternative

View attachment 287099

4- Xbox Series X Bluetooth Controller & Elite Controller 2 (they are Great for FPS games, nothing else)

Awesome, I'll check them out, thanks for the suggestions :)
Are those you mentioned supported through Switch with mission control?

ndeadly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i dont have experience in how the Game cube Adapter works, but right now if its possible to extract the profile from it or from Bbitdo Gbros to enable GC mode, i see no other way to bring Analog Support

and this is only for Game cube controllers......
in order to make Dual Sense or PS4 Analog Trigger recognized, we will have to add myflash dongle on top of a PS4 to game cube wired usb dongle to make it work
this seems like a hardware limitation from the switch, or Nintendo just neglected X Input support and the only way to enable it was through a hardware adapter
since we know that the only way to enable Analog Triggers is by adding it from SDK to certain games

i hope i am wrong
There is no need to "extract the profile" from any adapter or controller. The hid module will simply be looking for a USB device that connects with a specific vid/pid that it recognises as a gamecube adapter, and then expecting to read input data in the format that those send. All that needs to be done is mitm the initial connection and the incoming data and modify the data to look like the gamecube adapter and any arbitrary controller can be made to work as one. This is already more or less what Mission Control does for bluetooth controllers, it just targets a specific Switch Pro/Joycon output report format instead. No need for dongles or gamecube adapters, just for Mission Control to support USB connections.

Awesome, I'll check them out, thanks for the suggestions :)
Are those you mentioned supported through Switch with mission control?
Mission Control doesn't currently support USB connections, so none of these will work if analog trigger support is your aim. Anything that has a Switch mode will work via bluetooth out of the box, and anything else can have support added via Mission Control.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Mission Control doesn't currently support USB connections, so none of these will work if analog trigger support is your aim. Anything that has a Switch mode will work via bluetooth out of the box, and anything else can have support added via Mission Control.

Oh actually, what I have in mind is getting a controller that has analogue triggers for PC gaming, and can also be connected to the Switch, be it officially or through MissionControl.
From what I've seen, the Xbox controllers seem like the best option to my liking, but I am not sure if the One or Series controllers are fully compatible with MissionControl

ndeadly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Oh actually, what I have in mind is getting a controller that has analogue triggers for PC gaming, and can also be connected to the Switch, be it officially or through MissionControl.
From what I've seen, the Xbox controllers seem like the best option to my liking, but I am not sure if the One or Series controllers are fully compatible with MissionControl
In that case you are free to choose almost anything you like so long as it supports bluetooth. If it's not already supported it can be made to work at request. The only exceptions being cheap bootleg controllers that often use shitty chipsets that don't play nice with the Switch hardware, or controllers that use bluetooth LE. Currently, this means that the latest Series X/S controllers will not work. The Xbox One controllers that support bluetooth will work, but the new insiders firmware update will convert them over to LE rendering them incompatible also. LE will eventually be supported though once I figure everything out, so I would expect all bluetooth Xbox controllers to work in the future.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The only exceptions being cheap bootleg controllers that often use shitty chipsets that don't play nice with the Switch hardware, or controllers that use bluetooth LE.

Tell me about it, I was the guy who made an issue report on a shitty 3rd party WiiU controller that sadly couldn't be recognized by MC :lol:
Is there anyway to check whether a specific XOne/XSeries controller is compatible with the Switch before purchase?

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Send me a PM and write down your 5 most played games on PC or ps4, and depending on your answer
its either a Dual Sense or Xbox One (BlueTooth version) the newer controller will not work (BT LE)
also if you buy a Myflash Pro or 8Bitdo dingle, your controller will work on any console with Analog Triggers except on Switch

Get a PS5 controller, you will not regret it, ill send you the Driver in PM if you device to buy it
i would recommend a ps4 controller, but that has an unreliable micro usb connection and i have gone through my 3rd controller, they dont last long in you intend to play games like Overwatch or Destiny 2

all the controllers i mentioned work on Switch a Pro controller
if you plan to play FFXIV or any action adventure game on PC, get a Dual Sense, it will work 100% on any game as an emulated xbox 360 controller

ndeadly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Tell me about it, I was the guy who made an issue report on a shitty 3rd party WiiU controller that sadly couldn't be recognized by MC :lol:
Is there anyway to check whether a specific XOne/XSeries controller is compatible with the Switch before purchase?
You can identify them by looks alone. There are no intermediate hardware revisions.

Xbox One S/X
KjY7KGoEFdcsX1b-rgKVR-czXA9P75WynmLAm4GLMvc.png

Xbox Series S/X
2378120-n0.jpg

Be aware that all controllers sold individually are marketed under something like "Xbox Wireless Controller", regardless of type. Most of the new controllers in stores will likely be the Series S/X controllers these days, so you should visually identify before committing to a purchase.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Send me a PM and write down your 5 most played games on PC or ps4, and depending on your answer
its either a Dual Sense or Xbox One (BlueTooth version) the newer controller will not work (BT LE)
also if you buy a Myflash Pro or 8Bitdo dingle, your controller will work on any console with Analog Triggers except on Switch

Get a PS5 controller, you will not regret it, ill send you the Driver in PM if you device to buy it
i would recommend a ps4 controller, but that has an unreliable micro usb connection and i have gone through my 3rd controller, they dont last long in you intend to play games like Overwatch or Destiny 2

all the controllers i mentioned work on Switch a Pro controller
if you plan to play FFXIV or any action adventure game on PC, get a Dual Sense, it will work 100% on any game as an emulated xbox 360 controller
You can identify them by looks alone. There are no intermediate hardware revisions.

Xbox One S/X
KjY7KGoEFdcsX1b-rgKVR-czXA9P75WynmLAm4GLMvc.png

Xbox Series S/X
2378120-n0.jpg

Be aware that all controllers sold individually are marketed under something like "Xbox Wireless Controller", regardless of type. Most of the new controllers in stores will likely be the Series S/X controllers these days, so you should visually identify before committing to a purchase.

Thank you both for your detailed instructions.
With that, I can easily pinpoint the controller I want so it's compatible with everything including the Switch.

Then, going by the explanation, the best option (and safest) for me would be the Xbox One controller, and the one without the plastic around the Xbox button should be the right one, is this correct?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: There is an actual trailer with footage too. lol. Going to watch it tonight. Grabbed it from...