Translation Mirai Nikki: 13 Hitome no Nikki Shoyuusha - English Translation

Coolman-guy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I may have been a little harsh, and I apologize.
Don't worry it’s not grave.

I wrote between the serious and the facetious, and you still got the answers you were looking for. As you can see, no one else has come forward to reply.
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

It is true that your post sounded scornful, but on re-reading my previous post, I realized that my questions were poorly worded and may seem silly or offensive.
And I also apologize for this lack of finesse.

Let's make peace :)
See you next time big geek with lenses :rofl2:

• Haha
Reactions: Nikokaro

Sermeno14

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s been a while hasn’t it? I was supposed to update 3 months ago for the Q4 update. I guess I’ll break down everything that’s important. I can’t use a TL;DR, but the subtitles should work as your TL;DR.

Future Diary - The 13th Diary Owner RE:WRITE’s Translation is Being Worked on Simultaneously!

For those unaware, 2 games were published for Future Diary. The first came out while the manga was still going on. The second game released out of the anime’s popularity. This game is a “re-release” of the first adding in:
  • A new memory (each chapter is a “memory”)
  • Changes to the UI. Here’s one such example:
_DYTPaQIGmJaMY9g8wKkpbSlMs_2ps6S7qZNeyYBfbtwWO-PVLcg-nhvFOznD8DNp6PSIK4_ZlyW__iwwNTOhxMW9H7EC3r5kc1NNEsO1QRgNSYwmdFr_s9VB6r7qRQ44trv5CZj

Left: first game; right: second game.
  • Fixes to difficulty
    • There are more tutorial cutscenes to explain mechanics.
    • Yuno’s insanity was too hard to balance in the original game, so they added in more ways to lower it (for Yunoteru fans this means more lovey-dovey scenes).
      • This is what the other translator told me, so I don’t know if this is true.
  • Voice Actors (everything is voiced except the current protagonist)

The Addition of Subtitles

With VAs being added in, some lines contain no text, but still have a voice line. So our solution will be to add in subtitles. There is one small problem with this technique, it’s very difficult to implement on a PSP. I won’t go into details, but it requires careful management of multiple things at once to make sure the PSP doesn’t crash.

Our Change in Translation

Originally, our translation was half machine translation and someone studying Japanese checking over the MTL. Our translation perspective has changed, and so has our recruiting process.
Translation is as much of an art form as writing the piece itself, and by translating literally (word for word) into English, we ruin both pieces of art. Therefore, I’ve been revising my translation ability by reading books on translation theory and changing our recruiting process. If you’d like to help translate, great! However, you’ll need to have an N2+ level and be competent in Japanese-English translation theory.
Now, due to this change in translation perspective, it makes the overall translation slower. If you really want to play the game translated with edited MTL, there’s plenty of software you can use, but we won’t do this for your final experience.

How We’ll be Releasing the Patches

Once we get to a stable release for both games (whether incomplete or complete), we’ll release a program that will overwrite your ISO. We won’t be releasing a patch because a patch would be limiting. What we want to do with this program is give you a couple options when “translating” your ISO:
  1. Decide whether or not you’d prefer to have Japanese suffixes on (i.e. -san).
  2. Decide whether you’d prefer the names to be in Japanese orientation (i.e. Gasai Yuno) or English orientation (i.e. Yuno Gasai).
  3. Decide whether you’d prefer subtitles to be on or off.
In case you're a little skeptical of downloading a program, we'll be publishing it on GitHub, so you don't have to worry.

A New Programmer Has Joined Us!

Now that I (Sermeno) am in college, I have a roommate, who luckily has programming experience in ASM! He offered his help to our project, so please welcome Avodkada!

Why Our Update Took so Long

1. I started college this semester, and getting used to the environment has taken a while. I now seem to have a better grasp on things, so finding free time should be less difficult.
  2. Changing our translation philosophy caused me to have to revise the way I’ve been studying Japanese.
  3. Working on the subtitles is really difficult simply because of how much we have to manage and how they work behind the scenes.

Hopefully in our Q2 update, we’ll have more we can show all of you.

Sincerely,
The New Future Diary Alliance

Image Editor: JackPyez
Japanese-English Translators: Desi, Sermeno
Programmers: Avodkada, Sermeno

Sermeno14

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

Let me explain how things are going currently.

• DEAD ENDs now have 3 lines instead of 2 lines (which gives us more freedom to be accurate to the translation).
  • We fixed a small issue with certain images not showing up.
  • We have decided that working on the kerning (“normal” spacing between letters) is not something we plan on doing for this game.

Before we release any translations (we would really like to, we promise!), the text files are overly redundant. And if one thing breaks, the whole game breaks. We’re working on patching that up, but until that happens you’ll have to continue waiting (sorry).

Thanks for your patience and continued support,
Desi, Jackpyez, Sermeno

TigerTiger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So nice to get an update!! Thank you for all your hard work and for not abandoning the project. Looking forward to seeing it completed one day :wub:

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
We’re working on patching that up, but until that happens you’ll have to continue waiting (sorry).
Don't worry, what could 30 or 40 years of waiting be? No problem. 😑 At most, from afterlife 😇 I will visit you as a soul in pain to haunt you 👻 and to urge your work: and I will go no further, until I have played it in english on my (at that sad time) dusty, battered and rusty PSP.😩

Bardock17

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Whenever you have any news please inform us. There are many of us who are eagerly waiting for your awesome work!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1