Miraculous ways you've UNbricked a gaming system or other device

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
One of my hard drives fell to the ground the other day because of me not paying attention. Of course I prayed that it somehow survived the fall but upon plugging it in again, my pc would not recognize the drive correctly and the thing also made some loud clicking sounds, so I thought the HDD was done for good. Yet, I did not throw it away or the like but simply put it in a drawer, where it "slept" for several years, with me completly forgetting that I still had this HDD at some point. Some time later I opened said drawer and remembered the whole ordeal. But still I was curious if maybe through some miracle the HDD was working again. And low and behold - while it still made some clicking sounds at the very beginning, it got less and less. Windows recognized the drive again - well kind of. It would also loose the connection very fast again. But I did not give up at this point. I managed to format the drive, not giving a fuck about the data that might have been stored on it before, since it was not readable by normal means anymore. After formatting and to my very suprise the HDD was running stable again and is still to this day. Just to be sure I got a new enclosure for it and it's working like it was never broken before. Now I wonder if that drawer has some magic repair powers that I should know about...

Reactions: TheLegendofMario

opa334

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Got myself a broken 2ds from ebay for 30€ (like 35$), recieved a note with it that said something about system settings crashing the system. Turned it on, started system settings and indeed it was stuck on the nintendo 3ds screen. I held down the buttons to access recovery mode, set up an internet connection, updated to 10.7 (when it was still the latest fw) and it was fixed. It was really funny because the 2DS felt like it was used like one time and then returned to the seller. Later I downgraded it through OOTHax, installed a9lh and sold it to a friend for like 55€ (around 65$ I guess)

xDeathCubex

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Got myself a broken 2ds from ebay for 30€ (like 35$), recieved a note with it that said something about system settings crashing the system. Turned it on, started system settings and indeed it was stuck on the nintendo 3ds screen. I held down the buttons to access recovery mode, set up an internet connection, updated to 10.7 (when it was still the latest fw) and it was fixed. It was really funny because the 2DS felt like it was used like one time and then returned to the seller. Later I downgraded it through OOTHax, installed a9lh and sold it to a friend for like 55€ (around 65$ I guess)

Geht mir genauso, alter Genosse ;D

Google Translate: Same here, old comrade

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
Some years ago, using my PSP 3001A, I wanted to have those "Pandora CFW for 5.03 FW" exclusive to PSP models 1000 & 2000, So i wanted to downgrade my System and then run one of those CFW's, naturally, since they were exclusive to those models, so i downgraded to 5.03 and obviously i couldn't amount to much, I couldn't update also because the system couldn't recognize the firmware, and therefore i was on tight spot, until i came with an idea.

This "Franken PSP CFW" couldn't do anything BUT, launching a specific kind of file repeatedly, so i downloaded a 6.20 FW, I launched and prayed that i could recover my broken PSP... It worked!, then i installed my PRO 6.20 CFW and everything was back to normal, now, why did i wanted such a thing?, back then those CFW's were the shit, they had almost 100% compatibility with any homebrew, but they were exclusive to those PSP models, and now, the newer CFW's are obviously better, specially the Infinity PRO CFW, but that experience was years ago, so that.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Try rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball?
That's always done the trick for my buttons
I'll try, but the R button is one of those cheap clicky switches that fail fast, and aren't modular like the 3ds.

Reactions: Ricken
D

Deleted User

The best way to Unbrick your system is not brick it in the first place. That's what i did and it works every time.

yacepi15

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I fixed my ZenXfi2 from a bad FW update (it had a black screen saying Bootrom XXX and boot failed. It didnt enable the USB,it was fucked. I shutted down the player without any hope,with the rage i started pressing buttons and the USB mode enabled and i was able to recover it :D

Last edited by yacepi15,

MarKSlasH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I once saved a Playstation 1 memory card using the Die Hard trilogy format tool. The same memory card still works to this day.

Vishnoo

Failure is success if we learn from it.
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi Gerbilsoft how can i obtain NAND from my full bricked wii.I dont have a backup.

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My old iPad was broken by an "Unknown" force (A Baby Walker) and it was crushed. 2 years later after it wouldn't boot I decided to try and "fix" it. I plugged it in and BOOM done and fixed.

Yeniaul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had an original Xbox that, on any given boot sequence, would either time out when searching for the HDD, or have some weird quirk where a random game from my library be seen in my disk drive and play, yet the following conditions were met: Tray empty, no disc stuck inside on the spindle. (Creepy, but then I found out some original Xbox models have large data caches and can store up to the last 3 games played, up to the point where play was stopped). It finally crapped out, and the HDD read-write heads were completely stuck to the platters. They would've been left on the platters as they spun had I turned it on, but the power cord wasn't working. I threw it at the console, and both the HDD and power supply worked again! (The disk cache, however, was screwed over and irreplaceable.) It still works, and is on my entertainment center now.

D

Deleted User

I unbricked my Brick™ U™ by bricking it into the ground with my special Brick™ U™ unbricker™ with the special IOSB™ hack with BrickMii™ installed into my new special Brick™ U™

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1