Hacking mini sdhc -- m3 works, xp & w7 says not formatted

reverson1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything was fine with the card yesterday.

Since the sd formatter was recommended (sp?) I decided to backup the card and reformat it using this tool. All went well and I copied the files back to the card.

The quick disk check was quite a bit faster now and everything seemed to be in order so I decided to put a few homebrew games on there. After a bit of trial and error
I was able to find a few games that I thought my son might like. Everything seemed to be fine yesterday....

Today I was going to put a couple more games on the card for him and now windows (7 and xp) keeps saying the the card is not formatted. However, the card still works fine in the M3 real just not on the pc.

I've tried to format the drive (last resort) using the windows format tool but it says that it cannot format the card. (quick and full formats)

Unfortunately, I deleted the backup that I had made of the card and the only backup I have now is two months old...

Is there anyway to get the data off the card? I know it's there bc as I said the m3 can still read the card (quick disk check doesn't report any problems).... wth

Please help!

Thanks
Richard

Saywhatjj4

Trophies
XP
Country
you should go and use the panasonic sd formater
Download the Formater

I had the same problem with the windows formater as well but this does a better job

Tell me how it goes
smile.gif
smile.gif

PS. It works with Windows Xp, Vista and Win 7

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
^ He said he is already using it.

Maybe your card reader is broken. It happened to me to. Try other SD cards on your card reader. If they work, format your SD card with KillDisk

Etibs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had that happen once it was the mini usb reader adapter that was the problem. If you have another adapter try it.

Hope it helps

reverson1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I used before all of this started...

I know a quick format in windows doesn't really delete the files. So it may be possible to recover the files after a format.

Will I be able to recover the files from the card if I use the panasonic formatter again? I'm mainly concerned with losing the sav files....

Thanks
Richard

EDIT:

I've tried using:

The usb card reader that came with the m3
I've also tried two different cameras
---one couldn't read the card at all
---the other reported the correct free/used space, but wouldn't show the files on the card

Dark-Sider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Neither Quckformat nor normal format actually delete files (!).

Quick format just writes the filesystem structures on the disc. In case of FAT that would be the bootblock, two FATs, and the root directory. In case of NTFS it's the bootblock, and the fancy "$files" like $MFT $BOOT $LOGFILE and stuff.

When you do a normal format the difference is that your format-tool *reads* evey sector of your disk to check if there are any bad sectors. If it finds bad Secotrs it marks them as bad (entries in the FAT or $BAD on ntfs).

Just in case you really want to delete your drvie,card, wahatever you will need to get a wiping tool that zeroes your drive.

Note: By not deleting your files I did not say that they are easy to recover, but a computer forensics expert might be able to reconstruct your data...

bye
Darky

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!