1. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Your personal use of resale options is besides the point really. The lack of option to resell, and thus effective lack of ownership, is however one enjoyed by everything else in life and physical games, the only reason you don't in downloadable games is because lawyers or arsehole business types.

So downloadable games are generally (online only DRM might not be cracked in time, there are a few unplayable games already out there) made available by third parties, just like ROMs of physical games have been for... longer than the internet really.
    Both represent a failure of the market and the market, or a segment thereof, working around it but it is still a failure. Downloadable games is not a solution to it though, and with the lack of resale also means that when things don't go in some hypothetical future (I do like to remind people at this point plenty of big companies have shuttered DRM encumbered services and also plenty of others have gone bankrupt) but 3 years later when some music owner, owner of car/gun/texture, general IP holder or whatever says nah not renewing.
    That would be the lack of awareness.

2. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    if a game can't fit on my current storage then tbh i probably don't need it, which isnt a problem in my eyes because adequate storage is easy to come across, and you probably already have it in your pc/console
    ps4 and xbox one have 1tb models, and switch, while only at 32gigs, has readily available cards made specifically for the switch
    Also maybe its because i havent been using them very much but SD cards have never broke on me once, unlike dvds which ive lost on multiple occasions.
    this is why i have a bias against physical, its just too easy for me to lose
    hell i lost a whole collection of wii u games when moving once, cant do that with digital

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    If a console has no games how can you lose a game collection?

Scott_pilgrim and 64bitmodels like this.
  4. Nerdtendo

OP Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

United States
    Yes SD cards are breakable, but it is infinitely easier to make a backup of your SD card contents than a DVD. Also, hard drives are getting cheaper and cheaper. The same is true for personal cloud storage services. The solution to video game preservation has always been to break the law. When push comes to shove, the best way to protect the content of games is to put it online in multiple places. That how it always has been. I'm not here to discuss the legality of it, merely the preservation factor. Like I said, I think physical games are great. If you have a huge collection that's great. I just can't stand seeing people actually demean others because they prefer playing digitally.

64bitmodels likes this.
  5. FGFlann

FGFlann GBAtemp Advanced Fan

"Infinitely?" A little hyperbolic, also completely ancillary to the point that anything can be damaged. As far as long term storage goes, optical discs are still the best choice when stored in optimal conditions. They will last longer than any hard drive on the market and can't be erased at the whim of companies like Google. Video game preservation is more about preserving items in their original form. Cartridges and consoles, not simply the game data itself.

This is why it's now a problem, because the 'game', as it were, has changed and those cartridges/discs are disappearing. Leaving us at the mercy of a product without a physical form that we can't truly preserve in its original state.

Last edited by FGFlann, May 31, 2020
  6. Nerdtendo

OP Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

United States
    A little hyperbole never hurt anyone. Although I stand by the statement that it is infinitely easier to stick an SD card into my computer and make backups than try to circumvent the copy protection on a DVD.

I disagree that video game preservation is about preservation in the original form. The form many games were originally presented in are now outdated and incredibly prone to failure. I think it's better that donkey Kong country is playable after the chunky gray plastic it was surrounded by is rotted away.

The same is true for something like music. We had records, cassettes, CDs, and now mostly MP3 files. The music is still preserved even though there are far fewer audio casettes these days.

Also, I haven't seen anybody address the convenience factor of digital games which I believe is a huge draw.

64bitmodels likes this.
  7. FGFlann

FGFlann GBAtemp Advanced Fan

It's not addressed because I doubt anyone would dispute it. It's obviously better to have them at hand than require extra steps to switch games. What matters to people is if that is worth the trade off of losing everything else.

I can't do much about your opinion of what preservation truly is, we will simply have to agree to disagree.

8. ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex Advanced Member
    Newcomer

I would always rather buy physical and there's nobody that could change my mind on that. When a license expires a digital game is lost to time.

gregory-samba likes this.
  9. SrceJunacko

SrceJunacko Member
    Newcomer

France
    Look, owning a disc copy is the real thing. You have it in your hands for the price you accept to pay. It remains forever. Share it, sell it, rent it, burn it do whatever you want to. Yet you have to change the disc every time you play another game on a disc version as a digital copy is ready to go once you have downloaded it. Furthermore, the disc version gives you the possibility to install the v1.00 of the game with the freeesh smell when opening it. :toot:

10. jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer Neato Burrito!

United States
    I agree. Also, my dog (Bless 'im) chewed up my copy of sonic generations a few weeks ago, and I just replaced it a few days ago.

11. w247

w247 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Sorry for butting in.
    Yea Digital is cool and its awsome for games you
    A. Cant find easily
    B. Are expensive physically
    And i respect that but man i cant really follow. Maybe cause i play casually, so rare copies dont matter but keeping track of them do and MAN do consoles bug out half the time and last for like 3 or 4 years? I guess thats what i mean sorry OP...

jeffyTheHomebrewer likes this.
  12. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Gbatemp’s official Scott pilgrim fanatic ™

United States
    That’s why I prefer Xbox

13. jimbo13

jimbo13 Sam Hyde did nothing wrong.

United States
    I don't need a media disc perse but I will severe the chain a corporation is keeping on data I have acquired at every opportunity. But fun packages were a good part of gaming. I still remember the smell of a cartridge, a quality manual dust sleeve that doesn't have oily finger prints all over it. The unboxing was a experience.

Scott_pilgrim and Ryccardo like this.
  14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    I will give the Xbone has no games, mainly as this last generation has produced nothing of terribly great note so far.
    If you think the original xbox and 360 are lacking then you either have a very very very specific taste or have not been looking.

15. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Gbatemp’s official Scott pilgrim fanatic ™

United States
    Well I meant Xbox one

16. Stwert

Stwert GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    It’s a personal choice, buy from wherever you like and just enjoy gaming.

Personally, I like a physical copy wherever possible because I know in 40 years time, I can still use it - I don’t trust any digital services to still be around and still giving me access to my purchases.

But if there’s a digital only game I want, I’ll buy it. I’m reasonably sure that even in 40 years time, if a service has disappeared, the system will probably be hacked and my purchases can be obtained that way.

17. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    from the preservation standpoint: i play on pc so piracy has the side effect of pretty much presering anything
    from the trading standpoint: steam luckily has the sharing feature, sure, not as good, but it's something, would be nice if you could trade games using the same system in place for items, not really going to happen, but it would be nice
    from a collectors standpoint: yeah, pieces of code are not that fun to collect

18. zxr750j

zxr750j GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    When I buy games I like my pc games digital and my 3ds and Switch games physical. Having multiple console systems (3ds's and Switches) it makes switching the games much more convenient. But when I reinstall my gaming PC it's easier to re-download digital copies of the games (you've got to reinstall them anyway). I could talk about resell value but I never sell games I buy: I bought them for a reason...

19. shanks_

shanks_ Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Digital is more convenient, but in terms of longevity physical copies are a must. Due to the fickle nature of digital media, especially as we near the DMCA era, games that aren't available physically may not be around for future generations to enjoy as retro entertainment (see P.T.) This would prevent them from seeing generational success in terms of resonating with players across multiple generations.

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  20. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    so long as there is a pc version, it will be preserved due to piracy, PT (and scott pilgrim to add another example) were lost due to being only on console, the right path would be to ask for all games to have a propper pc version, even if you dont like pc gaming, at least there will be a preserved version that future generations will be able to play even years in the future (technically piracy does preserve console games too, but it has gotten too hard to remain viable)

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - concerned, Hardcore, physical