(mini rant) "Hardcore" gamers are too concerned about physical copies

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Digital games on the other hand are more like long-term rentals. Like, when the 360/PS3 servers are turned off all those that bought their digital games will at some point begin to require for the license to be renewed (connect to the servers), and then you can't really do that.

Plus, if it's XBLI you can only play them while connected to Xbox 360's servers.

Sigh.. I can always get the console hacked, I guess.
I kind of see it as a gamble no matter what I do, but this is from a personal hang up. I literally came home to see everything I owned and worked hard for taken from me and it was terrible. Now most of the stuff that was stolen has been ported digitally to different platforms, so I am able to remake my old collection and get some of my favorite games again thanks to the digital market. If something were to happen to this digital market, I do have other options.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't like the constant reliance of an internet connection to reinstall my games. reinstalling them from SSD or optical media (ISO mounted counts too) is way faster. I hate that everything requires internet just to play a game, especially when it's single-player and doesn't need to access the internet. I'm also the same type of person who has a vast FLAC music collection and MKV movie collection. I shouldn't need internet to watch movies or listen to music. It's just stupid. Sure, digital has it's advantage of preventing lost, stolen, or broken games, and I get that. But that's about all it has over physical media, besides maybe load times. I buy as many games for my Switch as I can, but I jumped the gun on Sonic Mania, because I din't know Mania Plus would get a physical release later. And I bought Splatoon 2 digitally because I played it so much, it just made sense. Now I can keep another game cart in my Switch at all times. It's a bit more inconvenient swapping carts, but it still feels good having cartridges, and actually owning the games you buy in person. (And I love the cases they come in)

Reactions: RyRyIV

RyRyIV

Woke Clown
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I try not to knock digital media, because I recognize it's much more convenient and cost effective. But personally, I LOVE physical media. Movies, games, albums, books... I just love having shelves full of my media. It appeals to the collector in me. I don't downright refuse digital copies, but I will always take the physical option if available.

Reactions: CactusMan

Wii_Shaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think if you consider yourself "hardcore" you owe it to gaming to be a bit of a preservationist to some degree. Unless you are trading in games you beat and deleting digital games from your system as soon as you play them, you are game collector to some degree whether you like the term or not. Can you really be "hardcore" if you haven't been gaming for some time? Nobody pics up a controller and decides to be a game collector. You just acquire games and before you know it, you have a collection to maintain.

To be frank it's none of your goddamn business what I do with my games or really anything that pertains to my personal enjoyment. If I want to have a shelf stacked with games, that's my burden and that's what it is, a burden. If I ever move, I will have to spend valuable time re-organizing my games and systems, set up all the proper switches and cables to play them and additional hardware to enable the ability to capture footage. It's a certain lifestyle that I have willfully adopted. I too have adopted the scorn that comes with it.

If another gamer has a problem with my collecting, that's tough. Nobody should worry about how I play my games or how I maintain my collection. Give me games and you get a say but I would rather have these very treasured titles collecting dust but bringing me fleeting pleasure than sitting in a dumpster behind Gamestop or soaking up soil in a landfill somewhere.

They are never going to unearth a landfill for a copy of your favorite game like they did with E.T.. If you love games, you have a personal responsibility to protect the games you love. Or simply don't. It's your life, right?

D

Deleted User

digital games are cool, cuz you can get them even if physical is sold out. Also games like P3P are still in psn store, for a price lower than physical, but i like having physical, also gives me the ability to resell if wanted.

Wii_Shaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
digital games are cool, cuz you can get them even if physical is sold out. Also games like P3P are still in psn store, for a price lower than physical, but i like having physical, also gives me the ability to resell if wanted.

That's kind of what people don't like about digital copies as well though. It's fine and dandy when your console still has active servers where you can download your game whenever.

It's another story when a game gets taken down or is no longer obtainable through *ahem* legitimate means.

And that's not to say that great games are always going to be obtainable. Just look at P.T. or Scott Pilgrim, classic examples of games you can no longer legally obtain through online services. I guess the same could be said about hard to find physical copies since only so many are made. These are the pros and cons, the reason preservation is important.

A completely digital world is a world where games go missing and disappear from existence.

Reactions: Deleted User

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
personally I find digital only gamers are much too concerned with physical only gamers preferences, I don't see any physical only gamers saying "We shouldn't have any digital games, and people asking for digital copies of games should shut their damn mouths and do what I prefer".......just "wouldn't it be nice to have a physical copy because there are legitimate reasons why people would prefer to have a copies of the game they can share and sell as they wish instead of being obligated to keep the game forever and never being able to get any of their money back unless they get a refund within 2 hours"

I don't think I have ever seen anyone legitimately argue there should be physical only releases, I don't give a crap if someone wants to buy a digital copy of a switch game when you can buy a second hand cart for less than half the price

but if/when its digital or nothing, don't be surprised when game prices are just stuck forever at the original launch RRP, without the free market to put pressure on devs to reduce prices over time the prices will stay higher for longer

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: zfreeman

Wii_Shaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fucking zoomers smh. Digital will always be better for PC, but fuck what the console manufacturers are doing.

I think companies like Nintendo finally realize that by controlling the exclusivity of their games, it gives them leverage and the opportunity to get paid more than once for the same title.

It's a nasty practice but at least companies like Limited Run Games are making physical copies a thing, even if they are niche and inherently elitist.

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think companies like Nintendo finally realize that by controlling the exclusivity of their games, it gives them leverage and the opportunity to get paid more than once for the same title.

It's a nasty practice but at least companies like Limited Run Games are making physical copies a thing, even if they are niche and inherently elitist.

I don't mind LRG being elitist at all, just wish it was easier to get them, specially down here.

And calling Nintendo when I lost my 3DS and was trying to transfer stuff over to my 2DS and finding out it couldn't be done because they don't support my region when it would've taken literally no extra effort was heartbreaking. I'm trying to go all-physical for expensive games, digital for cheaper games and pirated for games I can't get (not due to price but to availability).

Reactions: Wii_Shaker

Wii_Shaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind LRG being elitist at all, just wish it was easier to get them, specially down here.

And calling Nintendo when I lost my 3DS and was trying to transfer stuff over to my 2DS and finding out it couldn't be done because they don't support my region when it would've taken literally no extra effort was heartbreaking. I'm trying to go all-physical for expensive games, digital for cheaper games and pirated for games I can't get (not due to price but to availability).

It sounds like dealing with Nintendo's support where you are would be a living nightmare. I dealt with them once to transfer Wii games and it sucked. They truly are a stingy lot.

Even in the states the limited physical copies are hard to get, unless you have the cash to pre-order everything you want, which isn't realistic. The more established collectors snatch them up immediately. You snooze, you lose, as they say.

Reactions: Pacheko17

Wii_Shaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digital games on consoles is horrible but if piracy was way harder and slower I'd be upset with digital games on PC too.
Totally. Pick your poison though. Eventually it will be easy as cake to crack modern consoles as they are more and more dumbed-down PCs each generation. I think hardware manufacturers are realizing this and starting to shit themselves a bit.

Also, I agree. Those hacky Russians are doing the lord's work.

Last edited by Wii_Shaker,

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I agree. Sure, it's nice to have a little gamebox to fiddle with, I'd just rather to 1, 2, 3, and done to switch between games instead of:
1. Get out of bed
2. Find two game boxes for both games
3. Put game 1 into its box
4. Take game 2 out of its box
5. Put game 2 into console (or pc/mac, i dont care)
6. start game

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Totally. Pick your poison though. Eventually it will be easy as cake to crack modern consoles as they are more and more dumbed-down PCs each generation. I think hardware manufacturers are realizing this and starting to shit themselves a bit.

Also, I agree. Those hacky Russians are doing the lord's work.
I also agree. Sure, when I "obtained" Sony Vegas Pro 14, the you know what I mean didn't have any chiptunes, but it was in all russian. Luckly I understood most of the buttons just from memory of other installshield-based installers. And no, I didn't get Bonzi Buddy's cousin, ether. And after that sony vegas was in full english so thats good

Anyway, the Russians are good at piracy, and Le french are good at porting windows to Le Nintendo DS

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Search for Wintendos XP. You'll find it, but it's more of a recreation than anything, but File Explorer, Notepad, and Minesweeper work! (1st 2 really only work when ran via flashcart)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Plus back then the DSi wasn't out yet so they couldn't do a full port, but I think you can run XP on a switch

Wii_Shaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Search for Wintendos XP. You'll find it, but it's more of a recreation than anything, but File Explorer, Notepad, and Minesweeper work! (1st 2 really only work when ran via flashcart)

Plus back then the DSi wasn't out yet so they couldn't do a full port, but I think you can run XP on a switch
It makes sense on Switch. I'm not surprised it can run XP with a little tinkering.

XP on DS looks pretty sweet though. I wonder if it's actually running the OS or just a program built to replicate the feel of it. Either way, pretty impressive to see something like that on DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I got this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DDHC5MV