• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 11,234
  • Replies 32
D

Deleted User

OP
Hello,

This morning, I decided to do a few quick minecraft texture and color mods that I would like to share with the community, because it actually shows just how easy it is to make "ROM Hacks" for the Vita.
I can see a lot of amazing custom texture packs being made through the new mod-loading method by Major_Tom, which has burst open an entire new sector of the Vita hacking scene. :D

Not only Minecraft, but a lot of other games as well, could be looked into!

What makes Minecraft easy to mod is the fact that the textures are mostly in PNG format, which makes it really easy to swap textures, etc.
But there is also an XML file buried inside the filesystem of the game that can colorize a certain block in the game. (I just edited it so that the textures aren't colorized so the black/white is maintained... well, sort of.)

Here are a few things I did to the default texture pack earlier on. The first thing I had in mind was a complete black/white mod for the game. For some reason, the grass texture nor the sky don't want to play along with my idea of that. :P

2016-08-12-091934.jpg

Luckily, the Nether seems to have a full black/white environment from my mods. :D
(Well... apart from the red fog in the far background...)

2016-08-12-091813.jpg

2016-08-12-091704.jpg

2016-08-12-092119.jpg

And I got a bit lazy and decided not to add transparency back to the terrain image I edited. :P
The result:

2016-08-12-095830.jpg

And to top it all off, I decided to throw in the GBAtemp logo into the texture pack. :lol:

2016-08-12-093105.jpg

I hope I can expand on these ideas a bit, and make some full custom texture packs myself. In the meantime, if I happen to do any more Minecraft texture/graphics mods, I'll post them here! :yaypsp:

D

Deleted-394630

OP
tnt mods for minecraft vita when?
Woah woah WOAH! We are just starting to scratch the surface of rom-hacking (Basic texture mods)
You should never expect a mod like that to come out soon, or even be possible!

D

Deleted User

OP
How did you do that? Got no clue how to open the PSVIMG files. Would like to create my own custom theme for MC. c;
PSVIMG files are the encrypted CMA backups; there's no way to open them as they have very strong (and multiple layers of?) encryption.

You need to either dump your own legitimate minecraft cartridge/game using Major_Tom's Game/DLC dumping and decrypting method and place your modified files into ux0:patch/TitleIDOfGame/, or if you're on 3.60 (looks like it according to your sig.) grab a Minecraft Vitamin backup, install it, then take out and modify any file you please out of the game's filesystem. This goes for any other game as well!

It's extremely easy to do with Minecraft, like I mentioned in the OP, because you are just modifying PNG files and color values in XML files.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Zephir1991

Zephir1991

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
PSVIMG files are the encrypted CMA backups; there's no way to open them as they have very strong (and multiple layers of?) encryption.

You need to either dump your own legitimate minecraft cartridge/game using Major_Tom's Game/DLC dumping and decrypting method and place your modified files into ux0:patch/TitleIDOfGame/, or if you're on 3.60 (looks like it according to your sig.) grab a Minecraft Vitamin backup, install it, then take out and modify any file you please out of the game's filesystem. This goes for any other game as well!

It's extremely easy to do with Minecraft, like I mentioned in the OP, because you are just modifying PNG files and color values in XML files.

Ah,I get it. my bad then. Thought QCMA would also backup them in a decrypted state. never tought that it would save them in a special img format. Thank you very much for your answer. c:

What I'm trying to do is porting the sphanx texture pack. Really like it, and the normal Texturepacks a re well...ugly. :P

Last edited by Zephir1991,

RazorX2014

Trophies
XP
Country
here is one i did:

Pics:

Download:
PCSB00560_CUSTOM_TEXTURES_V1.01_RAZORX.VPK - 915KB

i made this for my uk version with update v1.35 installed and i have replaced nearly every block as well as all the picture frames but i haven't done any of the items yet but i will do more tomorrow.

i should also point out the vpk contains a backup of the original files i have altered.

Update:
added more stuff such as armor, trapped chest, sun, moon, rain, snow, minecart, sign

Last edited by RazorX2014,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
Hello,

This morning, I decided to do a few quick minecraft texture and color mods that I would like to share with the community, because it actually shows just how easy it is to make "ROM Hacks" for the Vita.
I can see a lot of amazing custom texture packs being made through the new mod-loading method by Major_Tom, which has burst open an entire new sector of the Vita hacking scene. :D

Not only Minecraft, but a lot of other games as well, could be looked into!

What makes Minecraft easy to mod is the fact that the textures are mostly in PNG format, which makes it really easy to swap textures, etc.
But there is also an XML file buried inside the filesystem of the game that can colorize a certain block in the game. (I just edited it so that the textures aren't colorized so the black/white is maintained... well, sort of.)

Here are a few things I did to the default texture pack earlier on. The first thing I had in mind was a complete black/white mod for the game. For some reason, the grass texture nor the sky don't want to play along with my idea of that. :P

View attachment 58773

Luckily, the Nether seems to have a full black/white environment from my mods. :D
(Well... apart from the red fog in the far background...)

View attachment 58777

View attachment 58776

View attachment 58774

And I got a bit lazy and decided not to add transparency back to the terrain image I edited. :P
The result:

View attachment 58772

And to top it all off, I decided to throw in the GBAtemp logo into the texture pack. :lol:

View attachment 58775

I hope I can expand on these ideas a bit, and make some full custom texture packs myself. In the meantime, if I happen to do any more Minecraft texture/graphics mods, I'll post them here! :yaypsp:
What method did you use to get access to the files? I've been looking at this for a few weeks now and can't seem to repack the textures after unpacking them

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Im seeing this now. What PNGs are you altering? The dumps I've looked at have all the games textures packed in a PCK file.

RazorX2014

Trophies
XP
Country
What method did you use to get access to the files? I've been looking at this for a few weeks now and can't seem to repack the textures after unpacking them

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Im seeing this now. What PNGs are you altering? The dumps I've looked at have all the games textures packed in a PCK file.

its possible to edit the vpk files with 7-zip it will show you what ive done.

i have added more pics above which show diamond armor various blocks and a circular moon and sun.

D

Deleted User

OP
its possible to edit the vpk files with 7-zip it will show you what ive done.

i have added more pics above which show diamond armor various blocks and a circular moon and sun.
I know you can edit VPK files. The issue was the PCK files that textures and skins are compressed in

RazorX2014

Trophies
XP
Country
I know you can edit VPK files. The issue was the PCK files that textures and skins are compressed in
i didnt touch any pck files yet.

if your minecraft titleid isnt PCSB00560 you can connect to your vita using vitashell and navigate to /ux0:/app/YOURMINECRAFT/ then extract my PCSB00560_CUSTOM_TEXTURES_V1.01_RAZORX.VPK using 7-zip and overwrite your Common folder with mine.

Last edited by RazorX2014,
D

Deleted User

OP
i didnt touch any pck files yet.

if your minecraft titleid isnt PCSB00560 you can connect to your vita using vitashell and navigate to /ux0:/app/YOURMINECRAFT/ then extract my PCSB00560_CUSTOM_TEXTURES_V1.01_RAZORX.VPK using 7-zip and overwrite your Common folder with mine.
For clarification. The game has to be installed to access these textures? If so that explains why I couldn't find/access them since they are unpacked to the app folder

RazorX2014

Trophies
XP
Country
For clarification. The game has to be installed to access these textures? If so that explains why I couldn't find/access them since they are unpacked to the app folder

yes the vpk is not the full game thats not allowed, you need to install the game then my texture pack.

it may also work with the minecraft demo but i dont know

D

Deleted User

OP
yes the vpk is not the full game thats not allowed, you need to install the game then my texture pack.

it may also work with the minecraft demo but i dont know
Not to sound rude but Im not asking about your texture pack :P Nice work tho.

Ive been trying to port something for the game for quite a while and couldnt wrap my head around how to crack those PCK files

RazorX2014

Trophies
XP
Country
Not to sound rude but Im not asking about your texture pack :P Nice work tho.

Ive been trying to port something for the game for quite a while and couldnt wrap my head around how to crack those PCK files

i see, the pck files are most likely something similar to a pkg file so im guessing would need some sort of program to decrypt or extract them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: