Former DS-Scene Staff
OP
Trophies
Website
ds-scene.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yo tempers, I had this Idea for a Minecraft DS port. It's supposed to be very simple.

It will look like LEGO Battles: Ninjago:
qzp53k.png

Instead of LEGO figures, the main Minecraft Character, and instead of a snow world, a small and limited 'minecraft world'.

Since I can't code or make games, I'd really like some help from other people. What do you guys think?

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
I'll be willing to be one of the coders, if you want me to.

I could even program it in 3D, it would just take way longer.
happy.gif

Edit: If you want it multi-player via WIFI, then that would be kind of a bad idea. Considering how many people have Nintendo WIFI services, many people couldn't play it multi-player. If you are talking single-player, then that is a different story.

LDE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm happy to help test it for bug and glitches, I got a 3DS and DS so I could help test multiplayer if it will have it.

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Creating minecraft DS: Good Idea
Making it 2D like example: somewhat good Idea
Making a 3D version: very bad idea.

When playing minecraft on PC, you have to remember that the world created is immerse, and almost does not stop existing. Its litterally a world. To create that in 3D for a DS, you can almost forget that, its simply too much for the power of a regular DS/i/xl system. But doing 2D would be awesome! I'm looking forward to dig through the world on my ds
rolleyes.gif

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As I told Kiekoes before, if you're leaning towards using Isometry as your point of view of choice, you're still going to face the problem of layers of "dirt". Not only that, digging tunnels is going to be a bitch even if you do manage to get a proper engine running due to the limitations Isometry puts on you. Patches of ground would obstruct your view most of the time no matter what kind of magic you use.

The only way I see this working is an a'la Scribblenauts side-scroller.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't see why not. Sure, the landscape wouldn't be as impressive and huge as in the original, but even using just PaLib you could introduce some level of randomness in terrain generation.

Example: Using tiled backgrounds, pre-prepare 4 tiles x 4 tiles "blocks" and assign them on a tilemap, if you want them random underground, use PA_Rand(Min, Max); for selecting the block type, display a second background 1 layer below for the "underground" effect and 1 below that for the sky. "Digging" would remove tiles and add items to an Inventory array and vice-versa, using the inventory would place tiles on the tilemap. That way you'll get over the 128 objects at a time limit.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I asked Notch via Twitter if there is a possibility of it being ported to the 3DS after the final version has gone live at the end of the year, but I didn't get a response. With the game having a built in 3D support feature, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to port the game over for the 3DS. I'd personally love it, but I want to be able to play the maps on both my computer and my 3DS.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
DSGamer64 said:
I asked Notch via Twitter if there is a possibility of it being ported to the 3DS after the final version has gone live at the end of the year, but I didn't get a response. With the game having a built in 3D support feature, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to port the game over for the 3DS. I'd personally love it, but I want to be able to play the maps on both my computer and my 3DS.

Impossible. You didn't have to ask high and low to get an answer to that question.

Minecraft uses voxel graphics which require quite alot of computing power and even more memory to be efficiently used. Forget about this game ever being released for the 3DS. I think an NGP port would be possible though.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

.Chris

Clueless
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Multi-Player, you could just use the DS Wireless, if you and your friends have it.

EDIT: @ OP, editing sprites for the LEGO Ninjago is a pretty good idea.

If you do make this RoyalCardMan, I would love to be a tester.

Kiekoes

Former DS-Scene Staff
OP
Trophies
Website
ds-scene.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yo Foxi I didn't reas all your post, but i'd like to make this without digging, only building. So you don't need an engine for digging. Also, I just want to try to make it with an isometric point of view.

But I think it wil still be possible if digging is disabled and you can only build.

EDIT: i don't know if it's possible, but we can do two things:
- building this shit from scratch
- extracting a level from the ninjago ROM (idk if thatys even possible though) and start hacking from therem

Let me know what you think and be sure to post more ideas
smile.gif

Sausage Head

Lord Sausage LXIX
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
extracting a level from a ROM and then "including" it in a homebrew game is probably impossible. how would the homebrew "read" the file?

also, i was wondering from the beginning of this "idea", how one can see things underground. from the camera angle in LEGO Battles: Ninjago you can't see underground -- mining would be impossible.

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sausage Head said:
extracting a level from a ROM and then "including" it in a homebrew game is probably impossible. how would the homebrew "read" the file?

also, i was wondering from the beginning of this "idea", how one can see things underground. from the camera angle in LEGO Battles: Ninjago you can't see underground -- mining would be impossible.
You are right about that you know. But, he mentioned that he didnt want to go digging in there. However, I can't see how this is going to be MINEcraft then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water