Might have screwed my 3DS after entering Gateway Mode

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DDTarZan, Oct 8, 2013.

1. DDTarZan
    OP

DDTarZan Never getting laid again /s

Nov 11, 2009
    United States
    In some trees
    My, do I have ever the story to tell.

Up until last night, I could run my Gateway 3DS smoothly and without a problem. I had quite a few game saves that I had been working on as well. At first, my SD card was just a 2gb MicroSD in an adapter (doesn't say the brand at all), and I was trying to switch all of my data from the Micro SD to an extra PNY Premium 2gb I had laying around, so that I might be able to use the MicroSD for another 3DS game.

When I backed up my MicroSD, my computer had no problems doing so. The PNY SD card I had quite possibly could have been a dud in the first place, in fact I am quite sure of it. When deleting the files on the PNY card, none of my folders would delete, which is pretty odd. Knowing I really didn't need the files on it, I formatted it and as it should be, FAT32. Windows (apparently) could not complete the format, and at about this point, I'm in shock. Somehow I managed to get the card in a useable state, to which I copied all of my backed up material to.

Pop the card in to the 3DS, it tells me that the software couldn't read or displayed. Pop the card out, back in, and then it starts managing the card as if I had just stuck a fresh one in. I figure my saves and such and the Gateway launcher.dat are still intact, so I try to run Gateway Mode. My Blue card still works, managed to put it into actual Gateway mode. Now I try to run their little exploit, via the Profile>Nintendo DS settings. Screen hangs as it should, but not as long as it should. It brings me back to my Home menu and gives me an error message:

"An error has occurred, forcing the software to close.
    The system will now restart.
    (Unsaved data may be lost.)"

This is continuous throughout my constant attempts to fix this issue, restoring my Gateway 3DS to its former glory. I have even tried formatting the system and trying another SD Card (ironically another PNY card, 2gb, but it didn't suffer the same issues as the first one.). However, It seems as though that when I did format my 3DS system, I was able to access my Profile>Nintendo DS settings, like being able to change my name and favorite color. However again, even when I tried a fresh launcher.dat after putting the system in Gateway mode, I would come back to the same error message above. I would also like to mention that, even with the sd card with the launcher.dat is taken out, system restarted, with or without Gateway mode activated, I could not access my Profile>Nintendo DS settings. I've formatted my system quite a few times by now.

My only thoughts to what could have caused this is 1. that some of my original backup data from my MicroSD card have corrupted with the first possibly-corrupted PNY card, and that could have included a launcher.dat, which probably just messed something up in my 3DS, or 2. Maybe these PNY cards are just crap to use in my 3DS.

Anybody possibly have any thoughts on this crisis?

2. Yamagushi

Yamagushi GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2013
    United States
    Did you update your 3ds? Check the version.

3. DDTarZan
    OP

Nov 11, 2009
    United States
    In some trees
    No, actually, even when I formatted it, it stayed at 4.5.0-10U. Firmware's good.

4. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Sounds like Windows corrupted your card. I hope you still have your save data because you might be able to rehack your system. Or have you tried that already?

5. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    I would suggest to run a ds game to reset your 3DS. Then you just start from scratch with the blue Gateway card. Might work...

6. DDTarZan
    OP

Nov 11, 2009
    United States
    In some trees
    I still have it all, and I agree with it corrupted my SD Card, both of them in fact.

No need actually! Because...

I fixed it! :) Both of my PNY cards were in fact, crap. Or got corrupted. I stopped being greedy and turned my MicroSD back into my memory card. Alas, it works again! The post can be deleted now if mods deem so.

IronClouds and calmwaters like this.
  7. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pok├ębro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Glad to see that you fixed it! Doesn't look good for PNY, but still!