Might have bricked my New 3DS -- total noob

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by BuffyLuffy, Feb 21, 2017.

1. BuffyLuffy
    OP

BuffyLuffy Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2017
    United States
    Hey all, I came across this forum after trying to search for a solution. I'm an obvious noob, please forgive me for being that person who signed up to get help.

I received a modded Japanese New 3DS from someone and all I've known how to do is how to download .cia files and install them into the system. Basically, download games and play 'em. Everything was going smoothly until the latest update.

My 3DS turns on to the little blue light and the screen flashes from grey to black and then just sits there. When I try to boot in recovery mode, it tells me using safe mode would brick the system, or remove ASLH.

I'm not sure what to do next or what are my options, but literally any information could help.

Last edited by BuffyLuffy, Feb 21, 2017
  2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    send a screenshot of your sd card content, youre likely missing the arm9loaderhax.bin on the root

3. Astral_

Astral_ GBAtemp elder

Oct 24, 2002
    France
    France
    You probably just need to update Luma (provided Luma is the CFW you're using)
    What happens when you start the console while pressing Select ?

4. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Give us a screenshot of the sd card, so we know what hax and cfw you are using.

Sounds like an outdated CFW.

5. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    probably rxTools lmao

6. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
  7. BuffyLuffy
    OP

BuffyLuffy Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2017
    United States
    I think the fact that things might be outdated is probably true. I'm trying to replace arm9loaderhax.bin but it suddenly won't let me do anything to the SD card because it claim its write-protected. Last time I found a way around it by right clicking and formatting it but this time it won't even let me do that?

Thanks for all the replies so far!

8. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Try testing your SD card with H2testw. And while that's happening, try a different card. Let us know what the result is.

9. TCJJ

TCJJ GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Are you using a microSD-to-SD Card adapter? If so, is the switch on the adapter in the up position? If it's down, it'll be write-protected.

Otherwise, you can indeed try testing the card, but it might simply be that you need to claim ownership of the card and/or give yourself write permissions. I'm going to assume you're on Windows since most people are, so as I can't remember how to do it on Windows off the top of my head, Google something along the lines of "Windows recursive 775" or "Windows recursively change permissions" (775 is the number setting for permissions - full read access and full write access, basically. You could use 777 but it's not necessary). If you need further help with this, just ask. If you're on Mac or Linux, I know those commands off the top of my head, so that's also simply.

10. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    What's your SD card? I already saw that exact problem with 3 micro SD Sandisk Ultra 64GB...

11. BuffyLuffy
    OP

BuffyLuffy Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2017
    United States
    Thank you everybody! I really appreciate the help. My replies are spaced pretty far because I'm on Tokyo time over here, haha

I am using a Transcend MicroSD adapter. I'm going to try googling "Windows recursive 775" now and maybe test it out and let you all know the results asap.

12. BuffyLuffy
    OP

BuffyLuffy Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2017
    United States
    Woah dude! This is exactly what did it!

I managed to be able to play with the SD card contents after all and I replaced the arm9loaderhax.bin with that exact file, and it booted up!

I really can't thank you enough. All of you on this forum are really helpful! Can't tell you just how happy I am!

Quantumcat likes this.