Might buy a 360 just some questions

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Lubbo, May 14, 2009.

May 14, 2009
  1. Lubbo
    OP

Member Lubbo GBAtemp Traceur

Australia
    i just have some questions because im going to get a 360 hopefully

1. if a second hand 360 gets the RROD can you still send it to microsoft under warranty?
    2. can you put movies on to the harddrive? ive heard different things on this..
    3. i am getting Guitar Hero 3 and i was just wondering do guitars from other guitar hero games work on it?
    4. is there anything i should do or get to prevent RROD from happening (im buying a 20 gb, MFD - 2007 - 9 - 24)?

Thanks

2. kylsav

Member kylsav GBAtemp Regular

United States
    1. As far as i know yes, unless the warranty sticker is removed. you could still send it back for repair but they may not fix it.
    2. Movies? Do you mean rip a DVD and put it on the hard drive? No you cant. You can download movies for a fee online but i think there rentals and can only keep them for a set amount of time.
    3. You have to get a Les Paul guitar or a Xplorer (from guitar hero 2) Rock band guitars will not work.
    4. The usual, Keep it in a well vented area so it doesn't build up heat. If there is a defect with it it will eventually red ring anyway but it doesn't mean its not worth getting a used one. just make sure its not banned either.

3. Lubbo
    OP

Australia
    ok thanks i meant videos not just movies can you put them on the harddrive?

so a guitar hero world tour guitar wont work with guitar hero III?

4. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    You cannot put movies onto the 360 harddrive. You can however use a usb drive to watch movies. It's what I do. Also, The guitar hero world tour controller works with guitar hero 3. http://www.joystiq.com/Instrument-Compatibility-Matrix/

5. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    i suggest not getting such an old 360 console.
    it puts out alot of heat, and uses alot of power.
    also it will eventually break and give the rrod, and only the first owner has warranty, if youre the second owner you have to pay extra money to get it fixed.

just get one of the new 'jasper' revisions they run alot cooler and are less likely to get the rrod.

6. Fellow

Member Fellow GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This isn't necessarily the best choice. If you want to lower the probability of getting the RROD.

1. Make sure that you purchase a brand new XBOX 360 console, or preferably one manufactured in 2009. Make sure you purchase it from a retail store such as Walmart, stay away from places like Gamestop and the Internet, only when purchasing brand new consoles.

2. When playing XBOX 360 games, play them from the HDD. Doing this makes the fan not run as rapidly as it does while running from an actual game disc, making the 360 less loud and hot.

3. Run your 360 horizontally. Put the 360 on some type of stand, here's a suggestion. Place around six video tapes, 3 with 3 behind, and place the 360 on top. This allows it to get more ventilation.

[​IMG]

4. Run the 360 in an open area, away from other electronics and dust, do not run it while it's on a carpet.

5. Do not move the 360 while it's running, or when there's a disc inside.

7. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I might be too late with this reply, but I just wanted to warn you against buying used 360s. My friend bought a used Pro console from GameCrazy. A few days ago it RROD'd, and he's already on his THIRD one. Thank God he bought an extended warranty.

8. Lubbo
    OP

Australia
    also i have another question once you buy xbox live can you download games like Banjo Kazooie? also do they cost money?

9. saulin

Member saulin GBAtemp Regular

They cost money. Microsoft points that you buy.

For your other questions. As long as the system is under warranty they can fix it. I'm not sure if Microsoft asks for receipt. I know Nintendo doesn't. I have had mine for over a year and I bought it used. It was manufactured in 2006 I think and mine has never given me any problems. Yes you can use the Gitar hero guitars for other music games like Rock Band and the rest of the Guitar hero games. I have played Xvid/DivX videos from a DVD-R on my 360 but I like the quality better on the Original Xbox with XBMC. There are also some HD encoded movies you can play on the 360. Bittorrent trackers like xbox-sky have them.