Might be getting a New 3DS XL today, and I have a few questions related to downgrading it

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by V3NUS_M1NER, Feb 6, 2016.

1. V3NUS_M1NER
    OP

V3NUS_M1NER GBAtemp Fan

Nov 27, 2014
    United States
    As stated in the title of this post, I might be getting a New 3DS XL today. When MemChunkHax2 was finally stable-ish, I downgraded my Old 3DS to 9.2, which had an almost 100% chance of a successful downgrade if I remember correctly. The New 3DS, on the other hand, was unpredictable. I'm not sure how much has changed since then, so I have a few questions:

- In the event the New 3DS XL is on a firmware under 10.3, would that decrease my chances of a successful downgrade? I recall New 3DS owners that were on 9.3-10.2 had a smaller chance of success than those who were on 10.3.

- If the console is on 10.3, what is the estimated percentage of a successful downgrade?

Apologies if this is in the incorrect section, and thank you in advance!

Last edited by V3NUS_M1NER, Feb 6, 2016
  2. Dean_

Dean_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 11, 2014
    I have seen many bricks related to <10.3 firm.
    I recommend you to do a hardmod which guarantees a 100% success rate.
    Don't believe who says like "I have done many successful downgrades"....

Last edited by Dean_, Feb 6, 2016
  3. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Many people says that, but nothing proves it. Updating to 10.3 with SysUpdater before attempting to downgrade is just another way to get a softbrick imo... I downgraded 2 N3DS (mine, which was on 9.9, and a frend's one, which was on 9.6), and everything worked perfectly.

There's not really any stats for that, as it seems to be kinda random, but not being an idiot (e.g. choosing the O3DS downgrade pack, pressing buttons / removing the SD / removing the battery while it's downgrading, etc etc) greatly reduces the chance to get a brick.

4. wsquan171

wsquan171 GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    wsquan171 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2015
    China
    1. Best to downgrade on 10.3. You can always use the sysUpdater to first update to 10.3 then downgrade to 9.2.
    2. The successful rate is almost 100% as long as you do no stupid things. I used the one which installs native firm last, and mine and all 3 consoles of my friends got successfully downgraded.

5. Just3DS

Just3DS GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2015
    You cannot say almost 100% there are usually errors during CIA installs, which most of the time can be sorted by just running the process again, but sometimes you have no chance but had to be updated to 10.3 using recovery mode and try again.
    Since the latest firmware is no more 10.3 so you don't have that fail safe method of downgrading anymore. So now if the downgrade failed for some reason you can only fix it by updating to the latest (which is 10.5) and stay at it then do hardmod.