OP
Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
EDIT :
Finally the final version is available !
You can download it here on FileTrip :
http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=25286

There is a comprehensive (I think) manual inside, to explain how to use it. Here are a few screenshots:

25286-01.png

25286-02.png

25286-03.png

25286-04b.png

25286-04.png

I'll be in the competition with my new version of MIDIControl DS, a MIDI controller using the touchscreen of the Nintendo DS.
The v1 had three main features : X/Y Touchpad controller (Kaoss Pad style), MPC style Pads, with velocity, and 8 faders.

The new version I'm working on will have several new major features, starting by synchronization with the controlled software (see video), and features made possible by the synchronisation.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRjslmP-aQA[/youtube]

It's probably not something that the average Joe will have interest in, but I hope to make it the Rolls Royce of DS midi controllers.

http://midicontrolds.blogspot.com/

Reactions: nukeboy95

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks realllly coooool! Aside from Ableton Live, what other software is this compatible with? ...or is it more of a question of what software is compatible with DSMI? Btw, +1 for going with the 12 pad MPC-500 set up as opposed to the 16 pad MPC-60/1000/2000 etc. Although the 16 pad MPC set up is more common, it would have suffered in the DS's rectangular screen, imo. Gl in the bounty. Cheers.

Ben_j

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
mechadylan said:
This looks realllly coooool! Aside from Ableton Live, what other software is this compatible with? ...or is it more of a question of what software is compatible with DSMI? Btw, +1 for going with the 12 pad MPC-500 set up as opposed to the 16 pad MPC-60/1000/2000 etc. Although the 16 pad MPC set up is more common, it would have suffered in the DS's rectangular screen, imo. Gl in the bounty. Cheers.

thanks for the support !
It's compatible with any software with midi, although I do all of my tests with Ableton. I don't know if other softwares handle midi sync differently, but I guess it's standard. I followed what I found on the net about that and it went just fine with Ableton in "Song" mode. "Pattern" mode looks different though. I'll try to see if it works well with Cubase and other softs.
12 pads was the easy way. If I make them smaller, the velocity wouldn't be great : when you hit the center of the pad, velocity is max. They're 64*64 pixels, so that makes a resolution of 32 instead of 127. An even smaller resolution for the velocity, and smaller pads wouldn't be very comfortable.

I'm currently working on record features, to save control tweaking loops, just like on the DS-10. Not really sure how that will come out yet, as I need a good enough resolution, without taking too much RAM.

EDIT : I've just seen that libnds provides support for the DS Easy Piano extension. I might add that to the homerbrew, but I don't have a DS tank/lite and I don't have easy piano. If I have time left before the 31st of may, I'll look into it

EDIT bis : the DS Paddle and Guitar Hero grip could be nice additions too. I really need a DS Lite and all those extension paks !

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ben_j said:
mechadylan said:

thanks for the support !
It's compatible with any software with midi, although I do all of my tests with Ableton. I don't know if other softwares handle midi sync differently, but I guess it's standard. I followed what I found on the net about that and it went just fine with Ableton in "Song" mode. "Pattern" mode looks different though. I'll try to see if it works well with Cubase and other softs.
12 pads was the easy way. If I make them smaller, the velocity wouldn't be great : when you hit the center of the pad, velocity is max. They're 64*64 pixels, so that makes a resolution of 32 instead of 127. An even smaller resolution for the velocity, and smaller pads wouldn't be very comfortable.

I'm currently working on record features, to save control tweaking loops, just like on the DS-10. Not really sure how that will come out yet, as I need a good enough resolution, without taking too much RAM.

EDIT : I've just seen that libnds provides support for the DS Easy Piano extension. I might add that to the homerbrew, but I don't have a DS tank/lite and I don't have easy piano. If I have time left before the 31st of may, I'll look into it

EDIT bis : the DS Paddle and Guitar Hero grip could be nice additions too. I really need a DS Lite and all those extension paks !

EZ Flash ram expansion might be another venue to consider. I've seen some music based homebrew for the DS benefiting from it in the past; Protein DS is the first one that comes to mind.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Reason 3 on my Mac PowerBook G4 and have achieved communication to it with this homebrew on my DS Phat running Wood on an R4 after installing DSMIDIWIFI v1.02! I'm pretty geeked about it.
smile.gif
I will definitely play with this some more as soon as I get some free time.

Ben_j

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
Some news !

The project is going well on its way. I just finished implementing sliders, and the general architecture of the soft, how the midi and the display parts interact with a common data structure. Midi feedback from the DAW is working !

Here's a video of what the sliders will look like :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-LpS6taOj0[/youtube]
It was a few days ago, randomly changing the color and value of the sliders, just for testing the graphics. I will post another video soon showing the sliders in action

The Mixer mode should be pretty quick to do, as it will re-use a lot of the Sliders mode code, then I will have to do a lot of work on loops, and finally re-code the Pads, since for the moment they're not implemented at all.

I also have to work on the configuration interface, for setting CC numbers, color of the sliders, etc...

Ace Faith said:
Is there a way to implement soundfont files to it? Or can it be made without butchering it up?

This is only a controller, and it will stay like that for the moment

EDIT : oh yeah ! and if any of you wants to test an alpha version as soon as I have something ready, to find bugs, and give me your opinion, etc, send me a PM
You can also make a donation if you want to help me buy a DS Lite with all the extensions I talked about
yaynds.gif

http://midicontrolds.blogspot.com/

Ben_j

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
Snailface said:
Your sense of design is excellent. This really looks good.
grog.gif
Well, I thought the top screen was shit ugly
smile.gif
Thanks if you think it looks good
biggrin.gif

For the bottom screen, the kaoss pad is copied from... Well Kaoss pad 3 ! The pads are from the Korg padKontrol, the sliders are greatly inspired by TouchOSC.
I'm not really a good designer (and I hope I'm a good programmer)

EDIT :
re-post of the video, since the other post was the last of the page

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlW6OP2cWOA[/youtube]

Godson777

yo waddup
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, this looks awesome! Keep up the great work! How are you connecting the 3DS to the Computer? Also what program are you running on the computer to work it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    then mind your own business
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    otherwise fuck off
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Show us some proof. Lets see police reports, court documents, video and/or audio recordings, etc. etc.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I already did show part of it, you ridiculed me instead
    Like I said, people with criminal records tend to play the victim an awful lot. Thats all the more im going to say
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    in the wanted list thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    because you are an awful liar and narcissistic hypocrite
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW