Midi Ripping from Ps1 games(Tales of Phantasia)

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Roman Noodles, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Roman Noodles
    OP

Roman Noodles Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2014
    United States
    I'm trying to rip midis from PS1 games, specifically Tales of Phantasia, and I have no clue how. I've ripped midis from other games on NDS but Google searches have not shed any light on how this works. And if the Midis for the songs: Decisive and conclusion, both from tales of phantasia are available somewhere, then please direct me too those as well and or instead.

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    You want midi format to extract the notes and the scores?
    Or the format is not an issue, and you want only the music?

Playstation use the PSF format (it's a midi/Module format). It's not a converted format, it's the music played directly from the game by the console/emulator.
    To read PSF files, you need PSF readers or PSF plugins for winwamp by Neill Corlett. His website is currently down, but search "PSF Highly Experimental" and you will find other websites providing the plugins.

As for the musics, if you search PSF, it shouldn't be hard to find all games music packs in that format.

Tales of phantasia being a SNES game, you can also search SPC format, which is the original sound files used by Snes save state (it's a savestate, with only audio information kept, the player emulate the game .. without graphic output).
    This format can even be played on media players (I can listen SPC on my Ipod)

If you really want Midi file, there's a program (open spc) to see the module format and edit it, or even convert SPC to more or less good midi or to Impulse Tracker format (.it), but it works only on Windows95/MsDOS/SoundBlaster16 (use VMWare to do it).
    Ssor9521 can also extract instrument as wav files from a Snes ROM.

cearp likes this.
  3. Roman Noodles
    OP

Roman Noodles Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2014
    United States
    Actually I tried ripping from the snes version and when I did I couldn't open it in my Midi editing software. And I want the scores and notes in a midi. And I have the PSF's for all the songs.

4. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    the only SPC editor I know which can convert to midi is unfortunately working only on native MSDos. you'll have to get Win95 environment and a sound blaster if you want to convert a music.
    I have the program if you want.

I don't know if someone else worked on the SPC format.
    I wish someone could update Open SPC to 32bit program, but the sources might not be available anymore.

there's another solution, there are programs which approximately creates midi scores based on analog sound heard on your computer.
    It's really really random, it might depends on the program quality and the ability to distinct instruments/pitch. The music you want have a lot of channels and simultaneous instruments, it wouldn't produce a good result.

5. Roman Noodles
    OP

Roman Noodles Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2014
    United States
    Sure please link me to the program.

6. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I checked the zip content, and it had my own files in it, so it's a repack. I can check if I find original zip file.
    I deleted additional copyrighted files I had in it. It seems I added cwsdpmi file, as it doesn't have the same timestamp.
    Open SPC

I've read the readme.txt, and it doesn't mention midi conversion.
    Maybe I mixed both Open SPC (spc -> it) and Impulse tracker (it->midi).
    I did it 10 years ago, it's a little blurry in my mind, sorry.

to convert to IT format: openspc.exe -i input.spc

SNESSOR95 v2.1

7. Roman Noodles
    OP

Roman Noodles Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2014
    United States
    The program didn't work on my computer. I think it's cause I'm on windows 8. Programs that start in a command prompt usually do that for me.

8. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    it's because it's a program for windows 95 / MSDos only.

Maybe I mixed program names, I thought I used OpenSPC, it might be another one.
    By searching on google, I found another program SPC2Midi. (easy to find with google, it's on a website with illegal files so I can't link)
    I don't remember using it, I still think I used OpenSPC.. memory is strange

9. Roman Noodles
    OP

Roman Noodles Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2014
    United States
    SPC2Midi is the program I used the first time and I could't open it with my Midi editor.

10. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    if you manage to convert spc to .it, you could try it2midi.
    Sorry, I can't help you better than that. I wish I had better informations.

11. Roman Noodles
    OP

Roman Noodles Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2014
    United States
    Ok I'll try that thanks for the help.