Microsoft will no longer give away Xbox 360 games for Games With Gold

xboxikgkag.png

When Xbox Live's Games with Gold debuted in 2013, subscribers would receive a handful of Xbox 360 games each month. Eventually, Games With Gold expanded to offer Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S titles, but there would always be a 360 game given away alongside them. That will no longer be the case, as Microsoft will be moving away from giving away free 360 games. As part of an email sent to current Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass members, it was revealed that Microsoft has "reached the limit of our ability to bring Xbox 360 games to the catalog."

We have reached the limit of our ability to bring Xbox 360 games to the catalog; however, Games with Gold will continue to include exciting Xbox One titles and exclusive savings each month.

This will not impact any Xbox 360 games that you downloaded before October 2022. Any Xbox 360 titles that you redeem via Games with Gold before that time are yours to keep on your Xbox account, regardless of whether you continue your subscription.

This will go into effect in October. From here on out, Microsoft will continue to offer Xbox One games instead, each month. You'll still be able to keep all the 360 games you've redeemed throughout the years, of course, and you'll even be able to play them should you eventually cancel your Gold or Game Pass subscriptions.

:arrow: Source

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP

When Xbox Live's Games with Gold debuted in 2013, subscribers would receive a handful of Xbox 360 games each month. Eventually, Games With Gold expanded to offer Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S titles, but there would always be a 360 game given away alongside them. That will no longer be the case, as Microsoft will be moving away from giving away free 360 games. As part of an email sent to current Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass members, it was revealed that Microsoft has "reached the limit of our ability to bring Xbox 360 games to the catalog."

This will go into effect in October. From here on out, Microsoft will continue to offer Xbox One games instead, each month. You'll still be able to keep all the 360 games you've redeemed throughout the years, of course, and you'll even be able to play them should you eventually cancel your Gold or Game Pass subscriptions.

:arrow: Source
I understand if you can't add any but why not just keep the games on the list?

Reactions: Henx and codezer0

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Xbox Live Gold, the most useless service. They've jacked the price by removing the yearly subscriptions. They've made their better service priced just aboce this one, now they're removing the benefits other than playing online.

They should just nuke it.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will they give away two Xbox one games as usual or will it be 3/4 now?
Yeah, that's what i'd like to know as well.. They'll be shooting themselves in the foot, if they reduce the number to just 2.

EDIT: As in giving just 2 Xbox One or Series X/S games instead of 4 in total..

Last edited by CoolMe,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RIP, Xbox 360.

Still a phenomenal gaming console and games for it are very cheap (physically and digitally). Just don't count on it for Xbox BC since that's very limited.

Bruh, are they trying to compete with Nintendo on having the shittiest service with too high a price tag?
Ultimate GamePass? That's amazing!

Unfortunately, GwG have kind of become forgettable due to the GP.

Xbox Live Gold, the most useless service. They've jacked the price by removing the yearly subscriptions. They've made their better service priced just aboce this one, now they're removing the benefits other than playing online.

They should just nuke it.
Now, when it comes to Xbox, it's known for its GamePass.

Games with Gold? It exists.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh sh!t, what a catastrophe, lol... I'm presuming Xbox ran out of lackluster BC duds to give away 🙄😒🤦🏽‍♂🤷🏽‍♂😅😆😂
In all truth they probably couldn't secure anymore licencing tbh.

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes. Can't wait to see what kind of low-effort shovelware XB1 titles they fill the gaps with... 🤦‍♂️

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Now they made their service slightly worse, but who cares, people signed for the online play, not for the crappy $1 games that come with it. All those services are a pile of shit.

Just think, the biggest innovation that Xbox brought to the gaming industry was paid online, they must be proud.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They main issue is that they can't add more Xbox or Xbox 360 games to backwards compatibility due to technical or licensing issues.

Also the publisher of the game decides if they will allow their game on the Games with Gold or not. It's not entirely up to Microsoft.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I guess any chance of getting eternal sonata on bc is no more? :(
Microsoft made an announcement a while back that they are not adding any more games to BC due to technical or licensing issues. They can't add games they don't own the rights to and if the owners don't want to have their game added Microsoft can't do anything about it. It's sad I know.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft made an announcement a while back that they are not adding any more games to BC due to technical or licensing issues. They can't add games they don't own the rights to and if the owners don't want to have their game added Microsoft can't do anything about it. It's sad I know.
I guess I'll start downloading gold games, always thought that unlike ps plus, they came and went, like you didn't have them permanently as a member? Or is that only game pass?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb