NULL

Microsoft teases next-generation Xbox "Scarlett" in E3 promotions

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It is the best controller they've designed yet, and the out of the box compatibility with PC games is better than just about any other. I still place the Switch Pro controller ever so slightly ahead of it for comfort, though, at least for my big gorilla hands. :D

NoNAND likes this.
  2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    That has nothing to do with it. No one is interested in releasing a public exploit because they don't need to, the Xbone basically natively supports homebrew with Dev mode. It's sandboxed, so you only get 1GB of RAM, 45% of the GPU, and can only utilize up to 4 CPU cores, but that's more than enough for the usual port of popular games and emulators that we would've gotten with an exploit anyways.

NoNAND likes this.
  3. NoNAND

NoNAND Fading into obscurity as the days pass by....

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    My existential nightmare
    oof big gorilla hands hey that's a bit scary :rofl2:
    Well being supported right off the bat by windows is a nice feature of the controller. Does the Xbox controller support motion controls?

Well that's something new to me.
    How come no one has shown any interest whatsoever in the backup loading part of the homebrew scene

4. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    No, but there's really nothing on PC that uses motion controls anyway, unless we're talking about emulation or VR.

5. coffinbirth

coffinbirth Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    Huh? Do you actually believe that?
    That's...not how it works, lol. You can install your games offline.The game data is on the Blu-Ray, otherwise they could just ship out empty cases with codes inside(PUBG and Cuphead actually did that)...but that's the exception to the rule.
    Now, there are usually day-one updates, but that is how it is these days.

atoxique likes this.
  6. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    I swear, some PC fans are like evangilists - they knock into random console threads and, "Excuse me Sir, do you have a moment to talk about superiority of PC gaming?" :)

atoxique likes this.
  7. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Feel free to let me know if I stated anything that's factually incorrect. PC gaming certainly wasn't always in the great place that it is now, and building a gaming PC is always going to be more costly than buying a console, but in return you get all the benefits I listed there. It's up to the individual to decide which specific features they value in their gaming hardware, and how much they value them.

Last edited by Xzi, Jun 10, 2019
    Bladexdsl likes this.
  8. Pipistrele

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    I'm just poking the fun at how unrelated the whole text is to the actual topic in question. There's a weird habit around some PC community members to throw unsolicited tirades on superiority of PC gaming, and honestly, it's just not the best look for so-called "PC master race".

Besides, as someone who was exclusively a computer gamer for a decade or so (made a gradual shift towards consoles in 2015), I can rant for weeks on "superiority" of PC gaming with its constant compatibility-related issues, hard-to-fix crashes/bugs, poorly organized gamepad controls (xInput solved it for a while, but now it's just outdated compared to PS4/Switch controllers), often-embarrassing DRM practices and other little quirks like "I had to turn-off/uninstall this software because my game conflicted with it". Basically, PC gaming is only superior in perfect situation, while consoles are much better at offering a consistently stable gaming experience. I do still enjoy PC games, and I think it's a pretty good platform, but issues above are often getting undermined.

Last edited by Pipistrele, Jun 10, 2019
  9. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Well, this is Microsoft we're talking about, so it's not as if they have no connection to PC gaming. In fact I'd say they're relying more on PC sales right now than Xbox sales as they transition to their next-gen console. Even Switch is close to overtaking XB1 sales.

I definitely have to disagree with that, stability is not an issue with PC at all once you have everything setup/configured properly. We're not in the age of Windows 3.5 any more. Again I'd put most of your issues under the umbrella of simplicity, or the lack thereof in PC's case. But in exchange for the simplicity of consoles, you lose out on a whole lot of features and deep customization.

10. atoxique

atoxique Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2019
    Australia
    the Internet
    Possibly because Windows 3.5 does not exist.

11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I think he's saying that those who play PC games are always going to treat those who play console games as being inferior beings. PC gamers tend to be sanctimonious and puffed up, bragging about superiority ad infinitum. Am I wrong?

atoxique likes this.
  12. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    To an extent. Console gamers are just as toxic. Been on both sides of the spectrum.

13. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Indeed, so maybe people should stop being jerks?

14. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    That's too easy. Being accepting goes against all social norms.

15. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yeah, you're right, it's too easy not to.

16. Pipistrele

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    Probably? I'd say difference is in scale - while overly aggressive console gamers bicker with each other in terms of exclusives/brand loyalty/hardware differences/etc., overly aggressive PC gamers often claim superiority for the whole lifestyle of playing games on a personal computer, and how it makes every other form of gaming obsolete, which is in the end result just a bit more obnoxious than your usual console wars.

atoxique likes this.
  17. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Even on scale, both sides are equally as obnoxious. PC gamers with their power, console gamers with their convenience. Then you have infighting among both camps. It gets worse the deeper you go.

18. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    no no no it's nothing like that.....

[​IMG]

19. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Of course, they're not

20. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Windows NT 3.5 existed, but you're right, I was thinking of Windows 3.1. I remember playing Commander Keen on that OS at a friend's house.

It's based on the individual. I've run into plenty of Sony fanboys who are equally irritating about insisting that all other platforms are inferior. I try to stick with the facts in my comparisons, as I play on my Switch/PS4 nearly as often as my PC anyway.

atoxique and the_randomizer like this.
NULL